+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New Natera Panorama NIPT test for Downs screening

I've just been offered this test (due to my age, 40) by my Obstetrician which costs $900 and is done at 9 weeks. It is way less invasive than amnio, and more accurate than nt alone, consisting of a bt for mum and a scraping from dad. The results are available sooner than the other tests too which would allow consideration of not continuing the pregnancy prior to 12 weeks if that was the mothers wish.

I was wondering if anyone has used this? The results indicate high risk or low risk with 99% accuracy apparently and so therefore you avoid the risks of amnio.

any thoughts or experiences?
    Last edited by Butterfly39; 06-09-2013 at 12:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Butterfly
    Im curious to know this as well as I prefer something less invasive. Im not sure what I would do with the information if it came back high risk though. Im seeing my fs on monday and I will ask her as well.
    x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Panda, I'm really scared of amnio too. It would be good to have that reassurance without putting a needle in. Apparently this test is really really new.

heres the site

http://www.panoramatest.com/why_panorama_test

my obstetrician is female and she said if she was in my shoes it's what she would do... Let me know how you go with yours....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Butterfly,
    i don't like the idea of the amnio or cvs either. My best friend had her blood test and scan come back as 1:2 for downs last year. She had the cvs and said it was the most painful thing she had ever experienced. The baby was moving when they tried to insert the needle and in the end the doctor put it in a part of her tummy which wasn't anaesthetised. It was very traumatic for her.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Team panda For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My aunty used it. Theyd been TTC for 13 years and she's 28 w. She's 43.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (06-09-2013),Team panda  (07-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that sounds terrible Panda .... It's a lot of money but I guess I should be following the Obgyn advice.... She seemed pretty definite about it. I wouldn't imagine you get anything back from private health perhaps I should ring and ask them.

ck2b thanks - did she find it helpful?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was talking with my husband about it last night. He suggested doing the blood test and scan first and then if it comes back high risk having the NIPT. What does everyone think about that?
    The only other thing I can think of is that you can get a very low risk factor with the old testing and it doesn't really rule out chromosome abnormalities out right. My acupuncturist was saying one of her clients had 1:4000 for downs and baby was born with downs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you ring your health fund, mention that you're high risk (AMA + IVF...if it is IVF that is) and they might cover it/some. Usually that's why some people get the NT covered (I did) whereas others don't.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VirgoMama For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (08-09-2013),Team panda  (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look through the jan/feb/march 2014 thread in this section. A few of the ladies in there had a BT similar to this one done after NT scan results were not as low as they would have liked. All were very pleased to get the all clear without having to do an amnio... Or post a reply in that thread and ask (we won't mind ) as I'm thinking those ladies mustn't have seen this thread to respond to your question.

good luck xx

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilbara For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (08-09-2013),Team panda  (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much Pilbara and Virgomama.

Panda I think The latter part of your reasoning rings true in that NT is much less accurate... Only 65 to 85% of Downs fetuses will have a large nuchal thickness, and up to 13% of chromosomally normal fetuses present with a nuchal lucency of greater than 2.5mm. It screens for Down syndrome (trisomy 21, meaning an extra copy of chromosome 21) and other disorders that are caused by extra copies of chromosomes (trisomy 13, trisomy 18), as well as congenital heart defects.

Panorama Test detects chromosome abnormalities, including Trisomy 21, the cause of Down syndrome, Trisomy 18, the cause of Edwards syndrome, Trisomy 13, the cause of Patau syndrome, as well as certain sex chromosome abnormalities, as early as the first trimester of pregnancy. It's extremely accurate 99% for those disorders but 91% for monosomy x.

So I think that even in the setting of low risk nt scan it still might be extremely reassuring to have the test .... Why are these things so expensive :/