+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Yeh they do call it payment. I just don't like it. Implies you working/earnt it. I don't work for my ppp or ftb. I work for my wage and as its low I get a subsidy from clink.

But like I said its just linguistics. I just dislike the mentally of ppl on the dole viewing x day as pay day. You get paid if you work, you get supported by government if you are unable to work.

Btw not having a crack at those who can't work or parents etc I gratefully accept my ppl and ftb and believe raising a chd is a valuable contribution to society so pls don't attack my post on that level it's not what I mean

End if the day you can call it whatever you want though. I just think breaking the poverty cycle starts with ppl accepting government support as a temp measure until such time they can support themselves and viewing benefits as 'getting paid' doesn't do that IMO.
    I agree with what you are saying but there is a big difference between being 'on the dole' and raising children.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackDiamond For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (06-09-2013),HugsBunny  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people seem to be referring to pre tax income & others after tax? So not comparing the same thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Buttoneska- you obviously haven't been on the receiving end of people's 'holier-than-thou' looks when you mention you are a recipient of Centrelink benefits. In fact it's attitudes like yours (you know... that people who are getting 'paid' parenting payment "imply" that they have earned it, coz we all know parenting is easy as, it's not 'work' at all ) that would make people be so reluctant to admit that they are receiving benefits from Centrelink in the first place!

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (06-09-2013),BornToBe  (06-09-2013),HugsBunny  (06-09-2013),jagamoe  (06-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (06-09-2013),TimeForWine  (06-09-2013),Zombie_eyes  (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I include our base wages but not superannuation or other packaged allowances like car/phones etc.

A centrelink payment I think is an income - thats the way that the ATO views it from memory as you have to declare the amount on a tax return.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    payment definition.

Compensation, discharge or performance of an obligation, or reimbursement, by giving over something that is of satisfactory value to its recipient, such as money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't include benefits because we don't receive any. We have one child, don't use childcare and our combined income doesn't qualify us for assistance.

I consider our income to be whatever we get paid after tax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think making statements about differentiating between being "paid " and "receiving benefits " really comes across as a value judgement .

I.e devaluing the persons if they are receiving a payment from centerlink and ensuring there is a clear language difference. Why the need for the seperation between the two?? IMO it comes across as an attitude like- We would hate for people who recieve income from centrelink to try and view their "payday" as if they were somehow equal to those who actually work for it.
    Like it would be such an awful thing for those people "on the dole" to somehow view the income they recieve on the same level as those who "work or it" .

Hope that makes sense.

On a side note- people who recieve an income from centrelink may be participating in activity requirements that other members of the community are paid to participate in through employment.
    Doesn't make a difference to me as I dont have a need to devalue their income but for those that do it might be worth thinking about.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ashram For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (06-09-2013),BornToBe  (06-09-2013),HugsBunny  (06-09-2013),jagamoe  (06-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (06-09-2013),waterlily  (06-09-2013),Zombie_eyes  (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't post how much our income is but I think of it as just wages so not including FTB etc and I suppose I just assumed others think the same as me. So when I see someone write 50k I assume they mean gross wages. Not net income and not including FTB or similar payments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't get any benefits apart from $7.5k CCR so would just say the gross amount. DH does get a bonus but don't include that as its not guaranteed and changed year to year.

I would never post my income though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashram View Post
    I think making statements about differentiating between being "paid " and "receiving benefits " really comes across as a value judgement .

I.e devaluing the persons if they are receiving a payment from centerlink and ensuring there is a clear language difference. Why the need for the seperation between the two?? IMO it comes across as an attitude like- We would hate for people who recieve income from centrelink to try and view their "payday" as if they were somehow equal to those who actually work for it.
    Like it would be such an awful thing for those people "on the dole" to somehow view the income they recieve on the same level as those who "work or it" .

Hope that makes sense.

On a side note- people who recieve an income from centrelink may be participating in activity requirements that other members of the community are paid to participate in through employment.
    Doesn't make a difference to me as I dont have a need to devalue their income but for those that do it might be worth thinking about.
    Thanks Ashram, that's really helpful. My husband studies full time and works part time, so I'd say he earns every cent. I see it as an investment on the part of the government - we are working towards independence from centrelink as soon as possible, but I'm so thankful we are both able to finish our degrees,and we don't live in 18th century Europe where only the rich could study!

Sent from my GT-P5100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chook86 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (06-09-2013),Ashram  (06-09-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast