+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please!advice on how to end this stupid punishment I decided on this morning in rage!

Hi all

Normally I am the cool controlled mother who is very careful of what I say so I can follow through with the threat. With a big touch of kids will be kids attitude!

This morning was a rough one. It ended up with me telling my children I was taking all of their toys away from them. (yeah that bad of a morning!) Then I was so cross I didn't hug and kiss them and tell them to have a good day, just said bye, so that upset me!! lol (damn pregnancy hormones don't help!)

Then I got home from school drop off and realised I had to pack away all the toys...bugger. I have finally finished, an hour before pick up. I have left them one book each, the elder one some lego and the younger the chalk board.

Ok, so now I have to decide how/when to give them back.

I have also made charts which have pictures of the routine, am, pm, bed to start.

(This all came from not listening, they have broken a few things around the house this week, which don't belong to me. They have all been things I have repetitively asked them not to do. To top it off when the broke the thing this morning I told them to get ready for school, came down and they were playing ninjas in there room, not ready for school.)

So anyways just after some ideas. Do I give them back one thing a day if they can be ready for school, or well behaved, or one thing a week. If I don't have to get cross? If they prove they can listen by there behaviour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe decide together on what will be considered enough to 'earn' them back one by one? So set a goal with each one and find something you both agree on that will help them earn back a toy (eg getting ready in the morning without a fuss and putting away school bags in the afternoon).

I feel your pain. I hate the over threaten!

Thanks
    Reviews
    THEY DON'T EVEN CARE THEY HAVE NO TOYS!!!!!

Maybe it will sink in after a few days! lol They like there pretty little charts to remember the jobs they need to do. Although they reckon they have 3 chances to forget things on the list.... ummm NO! That is the whole point of it!!! There are pictures and everything!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally understand that you might feel bad, probably more about losing your cool than the actual punishment you've set.
    I would talk to the children about why you were so angry and 'make up' but keep on with the punishment, you said you've set a schedule and tasks for them to follow so when they do give lots of praise and a toy back. Honestly not having toys for a few days won't be that bad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    High 5 for following through !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It took a month for them to get everything back! It worked quite well even if it was a over kill. I now have it to threaten them with now...hehehe. Wonder how long it will work for thou

8. The Following User Says Thank You to patsmum For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (16-10-2013)