+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    No, he does not get punished twice. I encourage him to tell me whenever he is in trouble at school and we discuss any problems. I don't think he would do that if he knew he would be in trouble a second time at home.
    Yeah I see what your saying. That was one of my concerns too. However after discussion s between my husband and I, we don't want him think that if he tells us something there will be no consequence. He knows we would never get angry at him for something unless he lies. He is always praised for his honesty and facing his choices etc. He is my first child in school so this is all new to me. Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went with that theory too.... it wasn't until the teachers told me there was the issues at school that I knew. He was lying everyday. Or with holding the truth!! So now I make sure I check up with the teachers at least once a week to see how things are going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by patsmum View Post
    I went with that theory too.... it wasn't until the teachers told me there was the issues at school that I knew. He was lying everyday. Or with holding the truth!! So now I make sure I check up with the teachers at least once a week to see how things are going.
    I check in with his teacher every week too. She tells me if there is any issue. He tells me daily about some things that go on mainly consequences from his teacher.I don't think he always tells me the truth and I think I've got quite a few more years of that to come

Like I said when he does tell me something we always praise. Sometimes it warrants a discussion and sometimes a consequence still needs to be given. We go by that theory at home and when we are out and about. School is a new one for me though

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like your doing a great job jarylee

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Jarylee  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A teacher really has limited power. IF the child thinks their parent doesn't give two hoots about what they do at school nothing's going to stop them. Why would they care if their parent doesn't? So they miss out on a bit of lunch time or worse class time. For small little things I'd let it go but for bigger things or ongoing things yes I'd step in.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Jarylee  (05-09-2013),Theboys&me  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I follow it up at home. He loves playing sky landers on the wii (doesn't have any other type of technology except the tv) which he is only allowed to play on the weekend. If his behaviour hasn't been acceptable he misses out on it over the weekend. He was being a bit silly earlier in the year like making silly noises with his friend in class. That meant no wii. It was/is very effective with him. He counts down the nights until he gets to play it (mind you I still limit his time on there on those days) and he has been behaving so much better.

I ask him at the end of the day about his behaviour. He is honest and owns up to misbehaving - I talk to him about small things (like taking too long to put his shoes on because he's being silly) but he once hit another child and I came down very hard on him. I'm a teacher myself and I find when there's parental support in addressing behavioural issues the kids are less likely to continue with inappropriate behaviour. My son is in prep - turned 5 this year, youngest in his class but still I expect him to respect the classroom/school rules and I'll always follow through with supporting his teacher. Otherwise I feel I'm sending mixed messages about how he is expected to behave.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Jarylee  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Sounds like your doing a great job jarylee
    Thats really nice of you to say, thank you!

And after the few days I've had you have no idea how lovely that is to read

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    I follow it up at home. He loves playing sky landers on the wii (doesn't have any other type of technology except the tv) which he is only allowed to play on the weekend. If his behaviour hasn't been acceptable he misses out on it over the weekend. He was being a bit silly earlier in the year like making silly noises with his friend in class. That meant no wii. It was/is very effective with him. He counts down the nights until he gets to play it (mind you I still limit his time on there on those days) and he has been behaving so much better.

I ask him at the end of the day about his behaviour. He is honest and owns up to misbehaving - I talk to him about small things (like taking too long to put his shoes on because he's being silly) but he once hit another child and I came down very hard on him. I'm a teacher myself and I find when there's parental support in addressing behavioural issues the kids are less likely to continue with inappropriate behaviour. My son is in prep - turned 5 this year, youngest in his class but still I expect him to respect the classroom/school rules and I'll always follow through with supporting his teacher. Otherwise I feel I'm sending mixed messages about how he is expected to behave.
    Thanks so much for that insight

My instinct was telling me I need to step in now as the talking about the issue doesn't seem to be working. Plus he is not at all bothered by the teachers consequences. Just didn't know if I was being to harsh or not.