+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone have a Jayco Swan or Dove camper trailer?

Just wondering if there is anyone out there in bubhubland that has a Jayco Swan or Dove camper trailer, and how you find it in terms of space for a family/ ease of setting up etc. Do you wish you had a caravan, or is the camper trailer plenty?

We are looking at getting one (oldish late 80's) to do some touring and short weekends away, but tossing up between a camper trailer and pop-top caravan. There is DH & I + 2 littlies (2.5years and 4.5 months).

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a dove camper van (i know not really the same thing) and it was fine for DH and i. No way it would have fit the whole family. Can i suggest a family tent??

DH, DD (5), DS (3) and I have gone camping several times and we have a 3 room tent and we set the kids up on one side to sleep, we have the other and the middle is like a common area. We have stretches to sleep on to stay off the ground. We get powered sites and have a heater when its cold.
    Its not that hard to set up...it take about 20-30mins (depending on how annoying the kids are hehehe)
    We looked into getting a camper trailer but with the added petrol to pull it we decided on the tent.
    We picked our up for $150 at kmart and the stretches were $20 each from annaconda.
    The only thing is if it rains (though it hasnt happened yet) they're not 100% waterproof and if it gets too windy you get a bit blown around (it got a bit windy the last time we camped...kids slept through it, we were the ones worried hehe)

Thanks
    Reviews
    loislane - we were thinking of getting a large canvas tent, but have been told they can take awhile to set up etc. We were going to get a trailer regardless to carry all the gear (have a nissan patrol, so towing and weight isn't a big deal), but were thinking a camper trailer would be heaps easier to set up and it comes with fridge/ kitchenette etc.

I should probably post a pic of what we're looking at - I know some camper trailers are a tent that pulls out of the trailer - the ones we're looking at have a hard top that winds up and the beds fold out at either end:

jayco.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 05-09-2013 at 09:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We bought a camper trailer last year and only used it once. For us it was annoying to put up as you needed 2 people to do it whilst also watching kids. Ended up using my mothers Jayco expanda pop top caravan and it was awesome. Took a whole of 5 mins to put up and only needed 1 person to do it. I've got 4 daughters and was plenty of room for all of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a camper trailer and we love it. My DH can mostly put it up himself, and only takes probably 10 mins to do it. It has lots of storage underneath too which is handy. It could be a spare of a moment idea for us to go on a road trip, and we just grab clothes and bedding, hook up the trailer and head off :-) we have a queen mattress in ours and the one room where we put two camping beds and the portacot for the kids (aged 4, 2 and 1) plus then an additional room we can put up if we are staying for a longer period, but we generally don't. Loads of fun as a family!!

Edit: sorry just saw the other post with photos. We have the type with pull out tent.
    Last edited by BJB; 05-09-2013 at 12:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've used the swan a couple of times, but don't own one. Family of 5. We found it to have plenty of room with the canopy. Can easily fit port-a-cot in or out. Though it is a reasonably new one - not sure what the old ones are like. The basics can be up in five minutes, then you could transfer the kids to inside the van with activities while you put out the rest. Not sure if we'd go simple pop-up though too if we were to actually buy one.