+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default C-Section Timing between family events!

I am due for bub 3 on 6th April and have a 50th Wedding Anniversary Party on the 29th March and a wedding (which I am planning) on the 12th April. For this baby I am having an elective C-section for medical reasons - I have had two difficult natural births, and have been advised it's safest for baby and myself to have a C-section, which I'm ok with. My question is if I am to have bub between 38-40 weeks as most elective C-sections are performed bub will be born between 30th March and 6th April. I'm concerned that if I have baby to early I shouldn't have him/her at an event with lots of people - I can't help but consider the whooping cough risk at such an early stage. Thankyou for reading and I look forward to your advice. I think my OB will name the date to be honest but I thought I'd think about my options in case I am asked!! I'd rather miss the 50th wedding anniversary party than the wedding!! Would it be ok to take a 13 day old bub to the wedding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another thought both my boys were overdue, DS1 6 days and DS2 9 days, this bub will be born early, and effectively would still be in my womb if not for this C-section.... feeling a bit lost

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it really is a personal choice. I went to a 40th birthday party when DD was 10 days old and I had no problems with it. I did however make sure that no-one was sick before we went, if someone was sick and still went we would've stayed home. Just on a random note, a lot of hospitals and OBs now prefer to deliver bub as close to 40 weeks as possible (it's what I was told at my appointment yesterday anyway!). My C-section has been tentatively booked in for 39w6d/40w even though I went into labour naturally with DD at 39w4d. If both your boys were overdue I would be thinking that your OB would want to do it as close as possible to 40w, which would mean potentially a 6 day old at the wedding. I still wouldn't have an issue with taking a 6 day old to a wedding, although I'd probably try and keep bub in the pram/carrier as much as possible to reduce the risk of people transferring their germs onto bub.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrskc For This Useful Post:

Ants  (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a little bit of say in my induction date as I was trying to avoid three family birthdays that fell between week 38&39 of my pregnancy so I understand your thinking. I would be concerned about taking a bub under 2 weeks old to a long function with lots of people. A small family dinner for an hour or two fine, but not a big event. But the other issue is you. The normal hospital stay after a c-section is 5 days. You won't want to go to any big function on day 1 at home. I struggled to physically manage a family wedding (all day thing) and breastfeeding when my dd was 6 weeks old.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Ants  (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wore bub in a stretchy wrap when I started back doing the school run and anywhere else there were lots of people. Even in the pram everyone will want to stick their head in for a gawk!

I'd also be more concerned about you. As PP said, the normal stay is 5 days - with the day of birth being counted as day zero. I got out on day 4 both times, only had it pointed out the second time that it was actually 'early'. The first time I went to a family function at a home with all the required comforts and still really struggled. I also drove for about 2 hours on day 10. Both of these completely knocked the wind out of me and made it harder to look after bub and slowed my healing.

Is there any chance they could book you for 40+10? Then if labour starts beforehand do an 'emergency'? Obviously if they need to ensure you don't go into labour at all they will book in a lot earlier.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Ants  (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All very good advice ladies! I guess it's only natural your mind is on bub and not yourself... I wish I knew that I wouldn't go into labour on the wedding day!! I also don't really want to go into labour and need an emergency C-section. I will talk it over with my OB and hopefully she can shed some light on a good decision. It's frustrating!! But at the end of the day it's the baby and I that matters and if it means we miss something I guess that's just the way it is. The wedding is going to be at about 4:30pm in a family member's garden and so I'll be able to have the baby inside, I might even be able to have a monitor on me! I also live just around the corner and so I can go home if need be, just be at the ceremony the start of a cocktail reception, DS1 and DS2 are being babysat at our house just around the corner. Thanks again for your advice, I think I'll try for 39 weeks, 31st March and the baby will be 12 days old at the wedding. If I only manage the ceremony that's ok with me (that's the romantic but anyway) and I think I'll be ok with pain, I have a high threshold. It's just the unknown but then again if I KNEW I was going natural I wouldn't get a say in any of this anyway would I - hence I have a Christmas Day baby!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hopefully it will all work out perfectly, but don't be hard on yourself if it doesn't. Everyone will understand. Whatever you do, don't plan to walk 'just around the corner' to the wedding.

In my experience, it's not the pain as such that's the hardest. It's the fact that your body is healing a very large wound. So all your physical energy is being directed there. I have a high pain threshold too, but you just never know how your body will cope. So plan less rather than more and if you feel great you can just enjoy it all the more!!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sctretched ^ has made some good points and also Every'body' is different as are pain thresholds, so in terms of your social events planned etc, all I would say is to keep in mind that you will be recovering from a c/section (which you haven't had before) so you may or may not be up to it physically so soon after having the Op even with a previously tolerance for pain etc. All that said, you may well feel fine, but just keep an open mind and don't be too hard on yourself if you find you can't attend as you had hoped.

for a great birth!