+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I don't get it either. A lot of people in my DIG said their paed recommended it. DS was BLW, DD had vegie purées for a few weeks before I introduced ground rice and oats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    GP told me to try DD on rice cereal first and she didn't like it at all. It ended up in the bin.

Me 29 + DH 33 = DD 8 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also don't see the big deal.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did feed it to my first baby, as it was recommended by the MCHN, but with my other two I did BLW, which made much more sense.

--------------------

I find this interesting too: the national obesity conference in Australia was told that mashed veggies, liver etc were much better first foods for babies.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226529240228

"BABY'S first solid food should be mashed vegetables and not the traditional rice cereal, a national obesity conference has been told.

The first three years of a child's life is crucial in determining whether they will develop eating habits that lead to obesity, endocrinologist and Obesity Australia chief Professor John Funder says.

Experts say that starting a child off on a diet of rice cereal is like to giving them "an oral glucose tolerance test", Professor Funder told News Limited. The best foods for a baby are mashed vegetables and mashed protein like liver pate, he says."

----------------------
    The Dietitians Association of Australia then released a statement saying that rice cereal is still a healthy and nutritious first food. Funnily enough the DAA are sponsored by a number of cereal companies, including Kelloggs, Nestle and the 'Grains and legumes nutrition council'.
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 04-09-2013 at 18:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried it with dd, she prob had it twice and was not a fan.... I did it because I thought it was what everyone does/ all my friends did. Definitely won't be doing it with this bub. Dd ended up hating all purees so we just did blw when she was 6 mths. Best thing I ever did!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was given so much grief by the MCHN for not giving it to my DD2, I was so annoyed especially since she is clearly happy & healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For some babies it's actually really useful.. the blandness is good for introducing textures.

My dd has lots of feeding aversions and it was suggested I use it for that reason. But I didn't due to the fact it can cause constipation.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is all about. Use it, don't use it. Same with whether you do puree or blw. It's a parents prerogative.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (04-09-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (04-09-2013),snowqu33n  (04-09-2013),tamute  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    On a side note. My current job involves nutrional education to people from many different cultural backgrounds from all around the world. We always ask them all what is the first food they give their babies in their countries and they all say rice from Asia to Africa to the middle east. I think that is really interesting. Usually its just ground up rice.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I remember telling a worker at a sleep school tha I was doing BLW with my 7 month twins, and that they eat what I do. She was horrified, said they would be iron deficient since my milk lost iron at 6 months (not true) and I needed to put them in rice cereal ASAP!
    My MCHN told me last week that it was important for the added iron, but surely a fresh, varied diet is better! I take what she says with a grain of salt though, as she didn't know what BLW was, after I told her we're doing BLW she asked if I'm still giving my daughter thin purées or if I've moved on to chunkier mashes yet, ummmm!

This website and movement, run by an American Dr, is all about encouraging parents to skip rice cereal and start with real food, very interesting: http://www.drgreene.com/whiteout/

Thanks
    Reviews
    You lost me at 'highly fefined'.

I have no issue with rice & milk. But would preference brown or organic rice & meet the iron needs in other ways.