+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Same-sex relationships at high school?

I saw this story: http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news...ights/2008320/

"When Year 9 South Grafton High School students Angus Grace and Bryce Salmon found themselves at the centre of a controversy after a parent complained of them kissing in the school grounds, an army of support rolled in."

This story made me feel a bit more positive about society after reading about the support they've received. And particularly after reading the thread about that ridiculous pamphlet and thinking about how different it was when I was at high school (I went to a pretty rough, homophobic school)

Do you think people (particularly children and teenagers) are becoming more accepting?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

PlayNice  (04-09-2013)

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kj2010 View Post
    Do you think people (particularly children and teenagers) are becoming more accepting?

I hope so!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlayNice For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (04-09-2013),HugsBunny  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think they are more accepting because their parents, who are in the 20-40 (ish, some are a bit older) age bracket, are accepting. It's not something that is kept secret. So in turn the kids grow up with all different ideas of normal.

Hope that made sense, it does in my head

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (04-09-2013),PlayNice  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Absolutely people are. Of course we are - it isn't this big horrible shameful secret that you must not tell anyone no matter what anymore.

For some people it's still an issue, unfortunately, but for many it's no big deal.

Personally, I don't think any kids should be kissing at school, but that's not to do with their sexual preference. Just like making out at work - it's not something I think is an appropriate time/place to behave like that.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (14-09-2013),Gracie's Mum  (14-09-2013),MissMuppet  (14-09-2013),River Song  (14-09-2013),Smyles  (04-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Yep, I think same sex relationships are becoming more 'normalised' and accepted.

I think back to highschool and a boy in my class tried to commit suicide because he was gay and was afraid of what his parents, friends, and others would think of him.

A friend in my group wasn't comfortable coming out until after highschool due to her fear of other peoples opinions.

These sorts of situations shouldn't exist and hopefully as a society we continue to become more accepting of anyone who differs from the 'norm' in any way, shape, or form, and young people can feel comfortable being who they are.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    Sorry but I would ve complaining about the age. If I saw a boy and a girl in year 3 kissing in the playground I would complain too.

Yes fat lazy fingers did write this =)
    They are year 9 boys so 13-14 yes old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never came out in high school. I was too scared to after I saw the way a friend was treated. He was the only gay guy in the school and another guy made up lies about him, saying he'd sexually assaulted him. He had not, he just didn't like that my friend was gay. Yes we went to a Christian high school but that doesn't mean that people need to be horrible about it. They always preached that god was accepting of everyone but obviously they never applied it to real life.
    So because of the way I saw my friend treated in high school, I didn't come out until I was 19/20 because I was too scared.

I can only hope that schools will be better now, I would hate to think of our kids getting bullied in school because they have 2 mums or because they're gay themselves.

And so what, 2 kids in year 9 were kissing in the playground?! We had year 7 students playing games around touching each other sexually

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    Sorry but I would ve complaining about the age. If I saw a boy and a girl in year 3 kissing in the playground I would complain too.

Yes fat lazy fingers did write this =)
    You never played catch and kiss?

On answer to the OP I think it's normal for teenagers to kiss their boyfriends/girlfriends openly at school or elsewhere as a way of inserting their independence and maturity. I would not complain at all.

I do hope current teenagers are more accepting of those in same sex relationships. I hope when my DD is a teenager it's not a problem at all among her and her peers.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by shazzars View Post
    They are year 9 boys so 13-14 yes old.
    Actually 15-16?!

Definitely were becoming more accepting! It's beginning to become normalised, thank goodness.

Good on them for being comfortable with themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    When I was in grade 11-12 I had a girlfriend (I'm a girl) and although I was scared I came out at school. No one cared. At all. They all congratulated me on my relationship and many others decided it was safe for them to come out also. No one EVER said a negative thing about it.

My school allowed me to take a girl to our senior dance and a teacher even stood up for me and my date when the photographer tried to refuse our photo.

I think the boys would be 13-14 which is old enough to be kissing in my opinion. I was in grade 10 when I had my first kiss, which is only a year older, and I believe I was ready.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

KnockKnockPenny  (14-09-2013),kriista  (14-09-2013)