+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fussy 3.4 year old eater with constipation ....

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on recipes or recipe sites for for an extremely fussy 3.4 year old ? My daughter would eat literally anything from 6 months to about 1.5 years then everything changed. We stopped feeding her vegetable puree / chunky vegetable puree and introduced more solids.

At the moment, she pretty much only eats carbs and cheese occasionally some watermelon and apples and a some scrambled eggs. As a result she is almost always constipated. I have implemented a sticker reward chart when she tries new food, that's helped a bit and dinner time is relaxed as we don't try and make her eat; and we almost always get her to help prepare dinner. I'm at a loss as to what to feed her

I think at the moment adding extra fibre into her diet is a must, and I've looked at benefibre but while she is still constipated, i'm not sure if this is a good idea? And she has had some children's mild laxatives to help her bowel movements...

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Does she drink water ? Water will help with constipation, plus what about trying dried fruits like sultanas or apricots? Or you could make some bliss balls ( dried fruits/nuts/coconut etc ) to get some protein into her?
    Does she like rice cakes? Peanut butter? Corn on the cob? You could try make yogurt ice blocks ( blend yogurt with fruit and put in ice block moulds) or smoothies with yogurt and berries and spinach?
    I also make roast veggie chips for my fussy nieces - use a peeler to peel thin slices of carrot, beetroot and parsnip and roast in a oven for 10 mins

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

starburst81  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My trick has always been gnocchi with pesto, and I add blended & sautéed zucchini & broccoli to the pesto sauce.

My kids are probably a bit sick of it now (coz they had it soboften) but at least they were getting veggies into them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What carbs is she eating? Could you swap them for pumkin bread, carrot & zucchini muffins, etc?

I'd offer more watermelon, grapes and fruit/yoghurt ice blocks to increase her liquid intake. Increasing fibre with a supplement like benefibre isnt a good idea while already constipated, as you need a big increase in fluids to get it moving thru.

If she has only been picky since moving off pureès, it might be best (if only temporarily) to offer them again just to get her back on a varied diet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steel magnolia For This Useful Post: