+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The final breastfeed?

Hi ladies I have a question, and probably a pretty dumb one, but how do you do the final feed? My DD is 17mths and has been having just one feed a day in the evening before bedtime for a few months now and I am getting the feeling she is almost over it. I am the one offering it to her and she only sucks for about 5-10 mins and seems more interested in reading a book before going to bed. Plus I really don't think she is getting much milk anymore. Should I just stop one night and not offer it to her? What happens physically with my breasts, will they engorge after a few days? or is that just it you stop and all is back to 'normal' (besides the permanent saggy boobs!!) Thanks for any advise, first time for everything...and starting to feel sad about stopping, its been such a beautiful experience but I think my little girl is ready to grow up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With ds1 is just didn't offer anymore. He was ready, I was ready. He was only 11-12 months old so I could have persisted but he just didn't seem to really want it anymore. About a week or so later he asked but I just said it's all gone. That was it.

My breasts stayed how they were. I don't know if this is common or not but I just assumed because it was such a minimal amount it wouldn't have an impact on them.

You've done fantastically well breastfeeding for this long

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and no question is a dumb question

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    4 times I didn't know it just happened. The 5th time I was having op so he had last feed that e him. He was 2, so he understood. I was in hospital for a few days and was too sore to nurse him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd was down to one feed a day, before bed, and then some days she wouldn't have one, but she would the next. And then it was 3 days between feeds. I just let it proceed naturally and over time she didn't ask anymore and just wanted cuddles. She didn't talk about it for a few months, and then started to talk about how she used to feed, but now she likes milk in a cup, and doesn't breastfeed anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 22 m DS went with DH for a weekend to visit nanny. When he came back no more boobie. He never really asked for it and my breasts stayed the same. I felt so sad though. Especially as I thought he was my last. Turned out he wasn't!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS1 stopped bf'ing at 18 months, and was down to 1 feed before bed. He just lost interest over a period of a few weeks and was only half-heartedly feeding for a minute or 2 so I think I just didn't offer one night (or forgot to offer, can't even remember!) and that was that. TBH I didn't really plan to wean it just kind of happened, and I don't even remember our last feed (which is a bit sad ). I would probably just not offer and see what happens. My breasts didn't engorge at all after weaning, I suspect my supply was pretty low though by the time DS1 weaned because he had been barely feeding for those few weeks prior to stopping altogether.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much to you all for your quick replies! She actually missed a feed for the first time a few nights ago as I went out for the night (first time since she was born...Whoohoo!!) and DH just gave her a small drink of cows milk to replace the breastfeed and she didn't bat an eye and went straight to sleep without any fuss...which is why i'm thinking she is ready to stop. so i'm thinking I might alternate doing bottle and breast for maybe a week then stopping. It appears to me now that its ME who is reluctant to stop!...think I need a bit of a plan to psych myself up for the last feed, and as a few of you have said the last one was not really remembered and I would like to be aware and savor the occasion thanks again everyone YY xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't alternate as that may confuse her. I picked a date and stopped, she was ready, only feeding once and barely at all. I noticed a bit of hormonal changes for a week (I was a bit cranky but maybe a bit sad as she is my last child) but boobs didn't get engorged, just normal. Every few days she claws at me but I just give her a bottle, it is usually when she is tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With ds2 I gave him his last feed on a seat overlooking the ocean. I took a picture of the bench as a reminder. I always think of it when I go there. I didn't get any soreness because he was down to only a couple of feeds and my boobs didn't look like socks for long because I got utd again in a week.