+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When did you start maternity leave and how did you cope at work?

I'm due at the end of Feb and would like to finish off work at the end of Jan, but am worried about how I'll cope through Dec. I work in retail and am on my feet the whole day. I even eat on the job if it's busy and we're understaffed. Dec is our busiest time of yr, so staff are not allowed to take annual leave at that time. If I finish off in Dec instead, that would be way too early, but at the same time, if I get too stressed, my blood pressure may go up and adversely affect mine and bub's health. I'm normally quite fast and efficient but may find myself too tired to maintain the same pace also.

When I chat to the boss, I think I will set my end date as 31 Jan anyway, but was wondering how everyone else went with working in their 3rd tri.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I worked until 37 weeks and coped ok. I didn't have air con at home so was actually more comfortable at work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I worked til 36 weeks and found it hard as my job was stressful (child protection social work) and the pace of getting DS to child care, me to work, working all day, coming home and getting dinner ready and DS to bed became too much. I also had some insomnia in the third trimester so was sometimes doing this on very little sleep.

if you're going to be on your feet all day at a busy time of year I expect you'll find it really hard, though you won't be too heavily pregnant for the first part of it at least.

Can you talk to your boss about having more frequent breaks to stop you getting too tired, being able to do sitting down jobs more (put a chair at the till perhaps and sit there ) and a contingency plan if you don't feel well and need to go home or want to start mat leave early? Employers have an obligation to look after you and make adjustments if they're reasonable and practical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked until 35 weeks with twins. It was no problem as long as I went home and rested well in the evenings. I didn't have other children so this was possible.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on what number this is. Number 1 I finished up at 38 weeks and felt fine the whole time (gave birth the Monday after finishing up on the Friday - I thought babies arrived on their due date then! How wrong I was!)

number 2 I finished up at 35 weeks and was in struggle town up until then. Gave birth at 39 weeks but wouldn't have wanted to work throughout that time.

Its easy enough to set the date to work until end of jan and then start early with the assistance of doctors advice if you need to finish up and are struggling. They can't exactly ignore a doctors advice for you to finish up regardless of it being a busy period.

Make sure you get plenty of rest and 'you' time before your bubs arrival!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm a teacher so on my feet all day. First pregnancy, I worked until 38 weeks. Second, I finished at 35 weeks, third I finished at 36 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I worked up to 4 weeks before my due date. I have a desk job though and that was perfect for me. The Monday after I went on leave I started to get really bad pain in my hands and I couldn't have worked anyway.

Perhaps you could plan for the end of January and then play it by ear. If you aren't feeling well just get your doctor to write you a certificate saying you need to start mat leave early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you should consider whether you will have the energy to be on your feet all day if working full time? Can you consider cutting back to 3 days out of 5? Would that be better than completely finishing early?

I have a desk job, but high pressure & struggle maintaining focus some days. My energy levels have already changed & I'm only 6 months. I'm working to 36 weeks though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm actually a casual and only work there 3 days a week. My other job is less stressful so I'm not too worried about that one. I'm not entitled to paid maternity leave, so plan on leaving the job once I'm ready. I have to be careful that I remain eligible for ppl and want to work as long as I can before we become a single income family.

This is going to be my first, so I have no idea what to expect. That's why I'm not sure how I'll be around Christmas time. It'll be the start of my 3rd tri so hopefully I won't be too tired and bloated yet.

Thinking I'll go on a babymoon for a wk in Nov, then push through until end Jan. If I struggle too much, I'll jus have to resign earlier.

This summer's going to be a hot one! Not looking forward to waddling around all swollen and bloated at that time of yr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a feb baby. I ended up finishing at 32 weeks but I had lots of holidays up my sleeve. I work in childcare so I was big, tired and our of patience!