+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I just remembered, when I was about 19 and catching a bus to uni, a very creepy old man sidled up to me at the bus stop and started talking to me, touching my arm, etc. I tried to ignore him and move away but then the bus came and we got on - and he sat down next to me. I very loudly said "I don't want you to sit next to me", and got out of my seat. Not one adult came to my assistance - and I am a very slight person - and in fact they looked away and avoided eye contact. I was quite distressed but nobody wanted to help.

Also, I was at work late one evening - we had an open evening. I was rostered to stand in a fairly dark part of the school, away from all the action, with three Year 12 girls to welcome people to the evening. An older man approached the girls and started chatting. Because they've been raised to be polite, they talked back to him but it was clear they were uncomfortable. When I intervened it became clear the man had no interest in the school, and he quickly disappeared. My point is, kids may be old enough and trustworthy enough, but they are still vulnerable and don't always have the experience to deal with difficult situations. Adults need to look out for them - I'd like to think people would look out for my boys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very well put tikigirl!
    I have a 17 yr old sis and she refuses to catch buses for the exact same reason you posted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Think this stuff has always happened.
    Wayyyy back when I was 16 yrs old, a friend and I caught a train from our small country town to go to Woodford folk festival. On the way back we both fell asleep and missed our stop and after clearly freaking our got off at the next stop which was seriously the smallest town ever in the middle of no where late at night. There we found a phone box and called our parents to come pick us up ( 40 mins away). Even after witnessing our distress and not even even in a big city where one might expect people to not take as much notice, not one person on that train (including train staff) had offered to help us, they just stared and whispered to each other.
    Lucky we made it home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure that going the opposite way, in terms of avoiding public transport or so can be done long term. I mean some parents drop their kids at school because they're scared about their kids walking alone. Some of us don't even know our neighbours. There's a fear of a lot of things currently in our society and however much extreme we go-in terms of avoiding people we don't know I think at some point time this would turn around.
    I'm not sure I wrote what I thought haha but what I mean is how long can we keep going into this cocoon.....I'm sure it'll turn around at some point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    Think this stuff has always happened.
    Wayyyy back when I was 16 yrs old, a friend and I caught a train from our small country town to go to Woodford folk festival. On the way back we both fell asleep and missed our stop and after clearly freaking our got off at the next stop which was seriously the smallest town ever in the middle of no where late at night. There we found a phone box and called our parents to come pick us up ( 40 mins away). Even after witnessing our distress and not even even in a big city where one might expect people to not take as much notice, not one person on that train (including train staff) had offered to help us, they just stared and whispered to each other.
    Lucky we made it home.
    Heyyyyyyy....I grew up in Woodford!

I'm the biggest worrier and often fret about dd being older and wanting do things...catch trains, hang with friends in city etc I want to give her freedom but don't know how I'll ever let go, I think to what I was doing and some situations I was in which could have ended badly and think how on earth did mum let me do these things. Dd is only 3 so hoping it comes with the years cos the thought of letting my baby catch a train/bus to school by herself one day just freaks me out!!

Good on you op for waking her! I fell asleep on a train once when I was 19 and freaked out when I woke and thought I'd missed my stop, I couldn't imagine being school age and that happening I would have cried lol!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I actually wouldn't have woken her as I would have been worried she would have abused me. There are many reasons she was asleep and its not my place to wake her.

if she was 12 or 13 I would have but at 15 or 16 I wouldn't have.

its not because I'm rude or selfish, I always stand up for the elderly or pregnant women to sit down on the tram, but I see this situation differently

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always fall asleep on public transport. And have missed my stop on occasion. But I've never felt unsafe. This is Brisbane tho.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I fell asleep on the bus home from school when I was 10 or 11 and was very grateful to a lady that woke me up. She had seen me before and knew I usually got off there.

I think it's sad that overall we don't help people out anymore.

Sent from my telecommunications device.