+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 343
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,546
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked
    1,250
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Labor didn't change it's position under Gillard? They went from opposition, to a conscience vote under her Prime Ministership. Despite her being opposed to it herself. It wasn't that long ago.
    I'm not sure we are playing on an intellectual level playing field right now father, I've been up all night with my newborn and we all know you are far smarter than any of the silly ladies on this forum, none more so than me so forgive me if the exact details are a little fuzzy and I'm still not following your point?!

    I genuinely don't think the liberal stance would change under MR Abbott, if it were ever going to at all. Mr abbots objection isn't airy fairy, I don't imagine it's easy for him to argue with a fairly common interpretation of the bible nor would he likely be inclined to.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (04-09-2013)

  3. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    No matter how you spin it, it doesn't justify the use of the word "homophobic".

    Violation of civil rights? Sure. Oppression, injustice, discrimination? 100%. But not homophobic.
    Sorry, do you mean the pamphlets? Are you saying they aren't homophobic! Or has my tired brain missed something?

  4. #83
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Sorry, do you mean the pamphlets? Are you saying they aren't homophobic! Or has my tired brain missed something?
    Oh goodness no! I mean the Liberal party.

    Earlier in the thread Mathermy said their position on gay marriage makes them homophobic. I'm disputing that.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (04-09-2013)

  6. #84
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    And don't make the mistake of assuming that the people I speak of are somehow so battered and bullied that they don't believe themselves worthy, or some nonsense. These are not brow-beaten people skulking in the shadows. Your assumption that this is the only reason they could possibly be opposed is, frankly, offensive.
    Well said.

  7. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,522
    Thanks
    886
    Thanked
    725
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Really? We can't link to Mamamia?!

    Given BubHub's demographic is that really a thought-through decision? Mamamia is hardly just another parenting forum, it's a widely-read, widely-discussed collection of current affairs, articles and blogs.

    If BubHub limits what its members can discuss to this extent, I'd like to gently suggest it needs to prepare itself for the fact they will discuss such things elsewhere.
    Hi all - apologies, there was some miscommunication in the ranks, but it has been decided the Mamamia is fine to link to as it is a general opinion website rather than strictly about parenting. The original link has been restored - carry on.

  8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BH-community For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (04-09-2013),Atropos  (04-09-2013),beebs  (04-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (04-09-2013),lambjam  (04-09-2013),smallpotatoes  (04-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

  9. #86
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And this is exactly the kind of thing that is upsetting me so much about BubHub and much of the Australian public right now, this insistence on over-generalising specifics and applying very emotive language where there's not enough proof or justification to do so, simply because it serves to consolidate a position.

    The Liberal party are against gay marriage. Homophobes!
    Tony Abbott makes sexist gaffes. Misogynist!

    Surely we can be better than that kind of sensationalised nonsense?
    Last edited by lambjam; 04-09-2013 at 11:52.

  10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (04-09-2013),Father  (04-09-2013),Mod-pegasus  (04-09-2013),NancyBlackett  (04-09-2013),sweetpeamummy  (04-09-2013),TimeForWine  (05-09-2013)

  11. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    I don't imagine it's easy for him to argue with a fairly common interpretation of the bible nor would he likely be inclined to.
    I agree. It is much more difficult to argue with the Bible if you actually know and believe the content. Unlike Rudd, who seems to think that the Bible says that 'slavery is a normal condition'. I have no idea how he has come to that conclusion

  12. #88
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Oh goodness no! I mean the Liberal party.

    Earlier in the thread Mathermy said their position on gay marriage makes them homophobic. I'm disputing that.
    Phew!

    I don't imagine the whole liberal party is homophobic. I do think Tony is- based on things he's said- and I doubt he's alone. I also don't doubt labor has some homophobic members too. I don't believe these types of views should be represented in our laws- be they homophobic, oppressive, discriminatory or whatever else we can describe it as.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (04-09-2013),Mathermy  (04-09-2013)

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I agree. It is much more difficult to argue with the Bible if you actually know and believe the content. Unlike Rudd, who seems to think that the Bible says that 'slavery is a normal condition'. I have no idea how he has come to that conclusion
    In a discussion with some Christian friends yesterday, we concluded that although the bible does not use those words, the bible makes many references to slaves/slavery, yet does not condemn the practice, so it's not an illogical leap to say that in the bible, slavery is a normal condition. Hope that helps.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    Busy-Bee  (04-09-2013)

  16. #90
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,546
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked
    1,250
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Oh goodness no! I mean the Liberal party.

    Earlier in the thread Mathermy said their position on gay marriage makes them homophobic. I'm disputing that.
    Did I actually say that? Because its not what I meant! I meant that the worst you could accuse the OP of was implying that the liberal party was homophobic, due to their gay marriage stance. Which even if that's what she was saying ( I don't think she was) isn't a huge stretch of logic, due to said stance. Because homophobia and anti gay marriage do have a pretty strong correlation. I wasn't trying to say liberal party = homophobia, I was confused as to why the liberal party being seen as homophobic is worse than actually being homophobic (ie, the pamphlets)

    But I do personally find the policy homophobic because I do not see it as being based on logic or the examples you and I discussed earlier. Rather it being based on the good family values card and not wishing to upset the apple cart of those who think marriage should be exclusively accessed by heterosexuals.

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (04-09-2013),beebs  (04-09-2013),lambjam  (04-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Election 2013 - go!
    By NancyBlackett in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 19:42
  2. Need advise and new tactics for my 2.5yr old son!
    By nicoleE in forum Constipation, Toilet Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 13:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Impressionable Kids
Impressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet sculptures. With franchise locations throughout Australia you can be assured you will receive a quality handmade product with a lifetime warranty on all frames.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!