+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I don't agree they were reasonable. I think they were discriminatory but some not homophobic as such.
    So if someone thinks that marriage is an outdated, patriarchal institution and doesn't want to see it extend its reach in society - that is discriminatory?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    So if someone thinks that marriage is an outdated, patriarchal institution and doesn't want to see it extend its reach in society - that is discriminatory?
    Yes, absolutely. If it's one particular group they are trying to prevent from being involved, which is the case here.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-09-2013),FiveInTheBed  (05-09-2013),PlayNice  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, absolutely. If it's one particular group they are trying to prevent from being involved, which is the case here.
    I don't agree with your logic. The argument that was being made was that marriage is not a positive thing and they don't want its importance to be reinforced in society. The logical extension of their argument would be that they would prefer more people to reject marriage, both straight and gay people. It is not discriminating based on sexuality, it is making a comment about the institution of marriage. You obviously don't have to agree with that sentiment, but to say it is discriminatory is unnecessarily inflammatory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, please.

I understand their point. I don't agree with it and I do believe it is discriminatory that because they view marriage as a bad thing they wish for an entire group to be prohibited from accessing it despite others wanting to make the choice for themselves.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-09-2013),rainbow road  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We just got an a4 sized flier in the mailbox that's not fit to show. It's from a local pro life party with coloured pictures of abortions and a picture of the local labor mp it says this candidate supports murder put her preference last. Absolutely disgusting tactics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, please.

I understand their point. I don't agree with it and I do believe it is discriminatory that because they view marriage as a bad thing they wish for an entire group to be prohibited from accessing it despite others wanting to make the choice for themselves.
    They don't want society actively making a change to make marriage seem more important. I doubt they would be campaigning to see gays removed from the marriage act if they were already covered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    More examples of very low election tactics.

An ALP supporter delivers offensive pamphlets in Bennelong.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226710927687

I'm not sure if this website has been discussed, but I found it absolutely pathetic. You should not have to resort to constant swearing in order to get your message across. If you do, then your message probably isn't very strong. I can't see how anyone can think that this sort of advertising is beneficial to their cause. I guess it has had 1000's of likes, but I think that also says something about people of the left. Hate speak.

I won't link to the actual site, but I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

http://dontbeaf**kingidiot.com/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    They don't want society actively making a change to make marriage seem more important. I doubt they would be campaigning to see gays removed from the marriage act if they were already covered.
    I understand this. But they aren't arguing against marriage in general, they are arguing against homosexuals being added to the same marriage legislation. I see this as discrimination.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-09-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    Going back to a comment someone made earlier about some gay people being against gay marriage reminded me of this article from the BBC a couple of months ago.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22758434
    Admittedly I've only read the first few paragraphs of this article but it seems the homosexual people that were quoted seemed to be against marriage equality because the traditional definitions of weddings and marriage.

For example:
    "We're not going to procreate as a couple and while the desire to demonstrate commitment might be laudable, the religious traditions that have accommodated same-sex couples have had to do some fairly major contortions," says Soroff.
    However, the definition and purpose of marriage is so broad and continues to grow that this really isn't a strong argument. DF and I are both atheist but we want to get married, as do plenty of other non-religious couples. We have a fantastic relationship, we both consider each other equals and actively show mutual respect for each other.

If someone has an issue with marriage as an institution how does that translate to not wanting gays to have the same right to marry as others?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-09-2013)