+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 343
  1. #151
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,183
    Thanks
    3,664
    Thanked
    4,704
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    People's notions of marriage are based on all kinds of things. To suggest that an active, float-riding member of the gay community is *homophobic* because they believe in the traditions they were raised with is ridiculous.

    And now, once again, I'm in a position where I'm forced to look as though I'm defending something I find abhorrent, simply because BubHub loves to get on a roll and hates to see facts get in the way of a good story.

    I hate Abbott, and marriage equality is one of the issues in our country closest to my heart, second only perhaps to euthanasia. But I'll call nonsense when I see it.

    It really takes me back to high school.

    "Lucy slept with Annie's boyfriend."
    "Oh that's terrible."
    "Yes, and I heard she's a satanist and a puppy killer too."
    "We'll, I'm pretty sure she's not a..."
    "YOU'RE ON HER SIDE?!"

    Clearly it's time for me to leave the political threads. I'll see you all on the other side of the election.
    Lambjam I find you one of the most articulate and likeable people on the hub, even when we don't agree. By arguing that a gay person opposed to marriage equality is not homophobic you are arguing that a gay person opposed to marriage equality is not homophobic and nothing more. If anyone suggested anything above and beyond that I would happily defend you.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (04-09-2013)

  3. #152
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    .

  4. #153
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    .

  5. #154
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    .

  6. #155
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,889
    Thanks
    452
    Thanked
    596
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lambjam, not sure how you can say the flyers aren't to do with the election. They're instructing people how to vote.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (04-09-2013)

  8. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Haunted House
    Posts
    10,891
    Thanks
    1,538
    Thanked
    1,568
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    People's notions of marriage are based on all kinds of things. To suggest that an active, float-riding member of the gay community is *homophobic* because they believe in the traditions they were raised with is ridiculous.

    And now, once again, I'm in a position where I'm forced to look as though I'm defending something I find abhorrent, simply because BubHub loves to get on a roll and hates to see facts get in the way of a good story.

    I hate Abbott, and marriage equality is one of the issues in our country closest to my heart, second only perhaps to euthanasia. But I'll call nonsense when I see it.

    It really takes me back to high school.

    "Lucy slept with Annie's boyfriend."
    "Oh that's terrible."
    "Yes, and I heard she's a satanist and a puppy killer too."
    "We'll, I'm pretty sure she's not a..."
    "YOU'RE ON HER SIDE?!"

    Clearly it's time for me to leave the political threads. I'll see you all on the other side of the election.
    Wow.

    Someone can have any sort of marriage they want. I don't have to agree with it. But to actively want it stopped and for it to actually be illegal stays that I want that person discriminated against. In the case of gay people it is homophobia and viewing Gay people as not deserving of the same rights because of belief systems.

    I don't see how your analogy fits.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (04-09-2013)

  10. #157
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
    I think some people genuinely have personal spiritual or philosophical objections to marriage equality.
    Then they shouldn't marry a gay person

    This is what I don't get, I'll never get it. Why does it matter to anyone - even if they wouldn't do it themselves, why would they care? Two people of the same gender getting married will have 0 impact on my life.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (04-09-2013),Kirst33  (04-09-2013),peoniesarepretty  (04-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (04-09-2013)

  12. #158
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,630
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,495
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Then they shouldn't marry a gay person

    This is what I don't get, I'll never get it. Why does it matter to anyone - even if they wouldn't do it themselves, why would they care? Two people of the same gender getting married will have 0 impact on my life.
    This is what I don't get. WHY are people so concerned about what OTHER people do, especially if doesn't affect them and is not hurting anyone? Why?!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (04-09-2013)

  14. #159
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How do you know that Abbott is not Homophobic? Where is your evidence? The reason people think he is, is because he continually says ridiculous things about the gay community. Just like he continually says ridiculous things about women. There is only so many times some can put their foot in it, before they begin to look like the have a problem with said group of people.


    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    People's notions of marriage are based on all kinds of things. To suggest that an active, float-riding member of the gay community is *homophobic* because they believe in the traditions they were raised with is ridiculous.

    And now, once again, I'm in a position where I'm forced to look as though I'm defending something I find abhorrent, simply because BubHub loves to get on a roll and hates to see facts get in the way of a good story.

    I hate Abbott, and marriage equality is one of the issues in our country closest to my heart, second only perhaps to euthanasia. But I'll call nonsense when I see it.

    It really takes me back to high school.

    "Lucy slept with Annie's boyfriend."
    "Oh that's terrible."
    "Yes, and I heard she's a satanist and a puppy killer too."
    "We'll, I'm pretty sure she's not a..."
    "YOU'RE ON HER SIDE?!"

    Clearly it's time for me to leave the political threads. I'll see you all on the other side of the election.

  15. #160
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    How do you know that Abbott is not Homophobic? Where is your evidence? The reason people think he is, is because he continually says ridiculous things about the gay community. Just like he continually says ridiculous things about women. There is only so many times some can put their foot in it, before they begin to look like the have a problem with said group of people.
    I promised I wouldn't come back... One last post!

    1. I didn't say he wasn't homophobic. I said being against gay marriage doesn't a homophobe make. I'm suggesting the two things aren't as related as people on here would like to make out.

    2. My personal opinion is that TA probably is homophobic. But that's personal opinion, not evidence.

    3. Seriously, I'm done. Over and out


 

Similar Threads

  1. Election 2013 - go!
    By NancyBlackett in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 19:42
  2. Need advise and new tactics for my 2.5yr old son!
    By nicoleE in forum Constipation, Toilet Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 13:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Impressionable Kids
Impressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet sculptures. With franchise locations throughout Australia you can be assured you will receive a quality handmade product with a lifetime warranty on all frames.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!