+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Homophobic means- 'prejudice against homosexual people' doesn't it?

Prejudice means - 'Preconceived opinion not based on reason or experience.' doesn't it?

...'most' arguments against allowing marriage equality falls into the above quite well in my experience.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-09-2013),Mathermy  (04-09-2013),PlayNice  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh - and whilst I loved Rudd's smack down of the pastor on Q&A... it really was a prime example of one cherry picker Vs another cherry picker.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Slavery was around, but did God like it? Homosexuality was around, but did God like it? Rudd's comment just doesn't make any sense.
    I think the point is that the bible says many things that are contradictory (being written by a number of different people). It also says many things that are specific to the time and culture in which it was written, and shouldn't be taken literally in our time and culture. Rudd was saying that the overarching message of the new testament is one of love and tolerance, and that is what we should focus on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (04-09-2013)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Slavery was around, but did God like it? Homosexuality was around, but did God like it? Rudd's comment just doesn't make any sense.
    Well technically I don't believe that there is a god, so I can't really say whether he liked it or not. However, the bible includes statements such as:

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property". (Leviticus Chapter 25, verse 44).

That quote is one of many, indicating that it wasn't exactly opposed by 'god'...in fact, it was encouraged. I think Rudd, despite how much I dislike him, made a good point for those who oppose marriage equality based on the grounds of the bible.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 04-09-2013 at 12:29. Reason: Sentences being weird

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I've puzzled over this for a while, so I may as well ask the question; what rights do you gain from being legally married? My understanding is that you basically have the same rights whether you are in a defacto relationship or a registered marriage. I also think (but I may be wrong) that same sex couples defacto relationships are legally recognised. So what is the benefit of actually signing the bit of paper? I always thought marriage really only made sense on religious grounds, not legal grounds.
    You are aware that some gay people are religious - yeh?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (04-09-2013),Witwicky  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    You are aware that some gay people are religious - yeh?
    Yes, I'm aware - thanks for the condescending tone though.

But, really, this puzzles me even more. Why would you want to be part of a church that doesn't approve of your lifestyle? Surely it is hypocritical - I have faith in the teachings of this church, oh but I would like it to change its teachings to fit my own personal beliefs?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Well actually yes, that is my personal view. I don't give two hoots what other people do, but I just can't see the point of it personally unless i was worried about living in sin in the eyes of God.
    Marriage is not a religious institution; it pre-dates modern religion, including Christianity, and it has many purposes that have nothing to do with religion.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (04-09-2013),beebs  (04-09-2013),ChickyBee  (05-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well actually yes, that is my personal view. I don't give two hoots what other people do, but I just can't see the point of it personally unless i was worried about living in sin in the eyes of God.
    In our society a relationship isn't quite cemented without marriage (especially with older generations). As a non religious person I find great satisfaction in my marriage (a celebrant performed a nice non religious ceremony). I don't care about "in the eyes of god" because I don't believe in it, it doesn't make my marriage any less important to me

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (04-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Marriage is not a religious institution; it pre-dates modern religion, including Christianity, and it has many purposes that have nothing to do with religion.
    Like what (in Australia)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I'm aware - thanks for the condescending tone though.

But, really, this puzzles me even more. Why would you want to be part of a church that doesn't approve of your lifestyle? Surely it is hypocritical - I have faith in the teachings of this church, oh but I would like it to change its teachings to fit my own personal beliefs?
    I don't claim to be an expert but I imagine ones relationship with god is for them distinct from that with any church or organized religion.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (04-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)