+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone else looking at DH taking the PPL?

DH works PT (mostly weekends) while I work FT. We plan for him to be the primary carer of our bub, so are thinking of applying for him to get the PPL instead of me.

Anyone else tried/had success with hubby applying?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Shouldn't be an issue as long as be meets the work test requirements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes he does - it seems that I have to apply and then ask to transfer the payment to him. Different parts of the website read a bit differently, which is why I wanted to see if anyone here had tried it. Maybe I'll go into our local office & ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That seems odd. Unless you want payments to start as soon as baby is born, because then you wouldn't be working.

If it was me I would just elect for the payments to start when I returned to work, and just make your husband the applicant.

But I only applied once for myself so who knows!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update as we were at Centrelink today to show some original documents that they needed for DH's Dad and Partners pay application.

I asked if it's possible for DH to apply for the 18 weeks PPL -apparently it can only be taken by someone other than the mother "under special circumstances" but the lady wasn't able to provide any examples of what this might mean. She suggested DH apply anyway, but be prepared to be turned down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Well that Centrelink person clearly doesn't have a clue. The PPL can be taken by either parent. I have taken the first 15 weeks and starting next week DH will be taking the remaining 3 weeks. We received our letter today to confirm it.

I went to Centrelink 3 times to sort it out, each time the 'concierge' with the iPad told me it wasn't possible, but I persisted and they found an officer who could help and yes I was right. Provided there is only one primary carer at a time and each carer meets the work test than it can be shared (in fact your partner could even take all of the 18 weeks if you like).

It is not a special circumstances, the rules are quite clear. If you need any more details let me know. While I am really appreciative of the government supporting us and providing the payments I am starting to get a little *&^% off at the Centrelink workers who don't understand their own rules.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Bella1607  (06-01-2014),kw123  (07-01-2014),Starfish30  (09-01-2014),Twocam  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks DJ! The lady gave me the info booklet & forms and he booklet definitely says it will only be paid to someone other than the mother under special circumstances So I guess the Centrelink lady had latched onto that one sentence and chose to ignore everything else Fantastic to know someone has been successful!

We are planning for DH to take the whole 18 weeks to see if he likes being a SAHD. He may then quit his job at the end of PPL and take on the gig permanently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I thought the exceptional circumstances where for when the birth mother or initial primary carer weren't available. Ie if both you and your husband could no longer be the primary carers. The website says about transferring:

If you are the birth mother of a newborn child or the initial primary carer of an adopted child, you must lodge the claim for Parental Leave Pay.
    If you are eligible, you can receive Parental Leave Pay yourself or you may, if you wish to return to work early, transfer some or all of your unused Parental Leave Pay to either:
    • your partner
    • the other legal parent of the child, or
    • the other legal parent's partner
    The person you want to transfer your Parental Leave Pay to must lodge a claim and meet the eligibility criteria.

That says to me that you need to lodge the initial claim, but can then transfer it immediately to your husband or you can use some and then transfer it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Board hijacking here but quick question. I am only a casual at my job and when I'm due I will come about 1-2 months short of meeting the ppl criteria, can my partner apply for it all? Or would I have to apply for it, be approved, then transfer? Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy pig View Post
    Board hijacking here but quick question. I am only a casual at my job and when I'm due I will come about 1-2 months short of meeting the ppl criteria, can my partner apply for it all? Or would I have to apply for it, be approved, then transfer? Tia
    Your partner can't apply unless he is going to be the primary carer.