+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Delaying school/repeating reception

Hi My oldest son will be turning 6 this November he started school term 1 this year and has nothing but struggles he just does not seem like he was ready I honestly believe I should have delayed him a year, since starting school and due to being so far behind the other kids in his class he has struggled with confidence issues and building friendships not to mention the academic side of things, he is a smart little boy he loves watching documentaries etc and loves to read and write at home but for some reason is just not coping at school, my issue now is that his teacher has mentioned holding him back in reception next year if this is the case then is it worth me just pulling him out if school and starting him fresh next year at a new school so it is less embarrassing for him. Any advice would be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it could be that he's just not suited/happy with the school... I'd try him at another school... see if he improves before deciding for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. In the same position as OP

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you need to speak with the school more before making a decision. I would be asking for academic data and plans they have put in place to support him socially. I would ask the teacher for more information. I don't think pulling him out first without looking at the problem further is wise, there may be a lot the school can do. It's really important to get to the cause because otherwise you may find out you have the same problems at a new school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 repeated prep (QLD). For pretty much the same reasons. He is now in grade 1 and thriving.

I wouldn't pull him out. At such a young age there isn't really a stigma attached to repeating amongst the kids. If your ds teacher is like ds1s prep teacher the general consensus will be 'aw, you get to stay with Ms X. I want to stay, too!'

For my son, repeating was the best thing we could have done. If the school and you believe it is needed I'd do it. The extra year can help so much with confidence, which in turn helps out with everything else

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think you need to speak with the school more before making a decision. I would be asking for academic data and plans they have put in place to support him socially. I would ask the teacher for more information. I don't think pulling him out first without looking at the problem further is wise, there may be a lot the school can do. It's really important to get to the cause because otherwise you may find out you have the same problems at a new school.
    I have had numerous meetings with the school about the issues and he has a private tutor every Thursday morning but is still very behind, the school are tg ones who have suggested he repeat reception, I am not to worried about him repeating as it is probably in his best interest but I more worry about all his class mates moving up and year and he being left behind when is is already struggling with friendships.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    Ds1 repeated prep (QLD). For pretty much the same reasons. He is now in grade 1 and thriving.

I wouldn't pull him out. At such a young age there isn't really a stigma attached to repeating amongst the kids. If your ds teacher is like ds1s prep teacher the general consensus will be 'aw, you get to stay with Ms X. I want to stay, too!'

For my son, repeating was the best thing we could have done. If the school and you believe it is needed I'd do it. The extra year can help so much with confidence, which in turn helps out with everything else

Yeah I am not to worried about him repeating I honestly believe it would be best for him but he has already struggled so much with friends I fear if he repeats and stays at the same school it will be worse for his confidence. And honestly I am not very impressed with the school as they have not exactly been helpful all year when I have brought up numerous issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does the school have composite classes? My son was in a R-1 class last year & there were a few kids who repeated Reception but because it was a composite none of the kids really noticed. However if there are issues with the school I would make an appointment with the principal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mara86 View Post
    I have had numerous meetings with the school about the issues and he has a private tutor every Thursday morning but is still very behind, the school are tg ones who have suggested he repeat reception, I am not to worried about him repeating as it is probably in his best interest but I more worry about all his class mates moving up and year and he being left behind when is is already struggling with friendships.
    If he's struggling with friendships too then that would further encourage me to choose to repeat the year. Give him a chance to start fresh with new kids, and he might find it easier to make friends this time round without the stress of starting school and adapting to the rules/routines.

The handful of kids who repeated in my daughter's prep year did very well second time round. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It was never a big deal when kids repeated a year. The entire peer group will be new. You DS will have new friends and have friends in year 1.

I moved from Qld to Vic and repeated Grade 4 because of my age. I didn't skip a grade when I returned to Qld in high school either. It ended up working to my advantage going from being the youngest in my class to one of the oldest. I am a big believer that there are tangible benefits in holding kids back or delaying the start until they are mature. I believe the same for university too; people do better with greater maturity and life/work experience.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (03-09-2013)