+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    These aren't things they were expected to be doing any earlier in the year, they are starting them both now (3rd term). I should pull out my curriculum stuff because the 2-digit sums seems a little advanced to me, but I mostly teach upper primary (and DD is finding them very do-able, so I'm not really stressed).
    I taught year 3 last year and we only touched on that then, then progressing to carrying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by our3boys View Post
    No but we are talking about nearly the end term 3 of their first year of school. I'm don't teach my children before school to read but by the end of term one they are well on their way to reading books.
    I was talking to someone who said that that is expected in pre primary. Like nsw equivalent of preschool?

I could be wrong. Or even for first year of school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would like to see the curriculum to know exactly what the expectations are at every grade. Anyone know where a copy can be obtained? Education department I am thinking.

After yesterday's teacher meeting I am convinced she is expecting too much from the pre schoolers, there is far too pressure on them I am feeling. A new year with a new teacher will be a good thing I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Very interesting- my sil was just told her daughter is so far behind that she wants to keep her back. She is reading level 4 readers and is in a ESL programme so I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't teach any of my kids to read prior to school..however they did know all letters & sounds. DS is now in year 2 & is reading 1 year ahead & DD1 in FYOS & is on a level 22 - well ahead of where she should be. I believe it's best left up to teachers. DD2 is 3.5 & knows all letters but I won't teach her either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd1 was reading chapter books in year 1, but I assure you that was not the norm nor was it expected.
    Dd2 moved to chapter books in year 2 and she is average in her class.
    We read to them everyday before they started school and that was it. We didn't do anything else to teach them. Just read their home readers with them when they started bringing them home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The K-10 Syllabus etc links on this are the (now essentially obsolete) WA Curriculum Framework. The ACARA website is the best source. (thanks for those links!)

Pre-Primary in WA is Foundation (year before year 1).

Having a quick glance over it does look like DDs class are working well above the expected level in maths. It could be because there's quite a few smart cookies in her class who need the challenge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    The K-10 Syllabus etc links on this are the (now essentially obsolete) WA Curriculum Framework. The ACARA website is the best source. (thanks for those links!)

Pre-Primary in WA is Foundation (year before year 1).

Having a quick glance over it does look like DDs class are working well above the expected level in maths. It could be because there's quite a few smart cookies in her class who need the challenge.
    I couldn't find any other one and the other one I posted was for nsw, so you could compare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast