+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That all should be happening at the start of their first year of formal education by the end of first term my son moved on from sight words and was reading books at the end of the year he could read quick well and confidently. Do they bring home readers home daily?

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter starts prep next year (will be 5) - she cant read - im not trying to teach her either though? She LOVES books and we have hundreds of them - we read every night before bed. If i dont read she looks at the pics and makes the stories up - she also 'reads' to her sister this way.

She knows all her letters by sight and can write all the letters - she can write her name, her sisters name and mum and dad etc. She is only just beginging to work out what letter belongs to what ie cat is a c - we play games in the car.

I just figured the next logical step was she would learn to read or start to learn in prep???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Kimberleygal is he in his first year of formal schooling or still at preschool?
    pre primary, year 1 next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kimberleygal - what you might find is that what they are expecting now, in WA schools, is more than you would have been expected to do at that year level. Most schools should be following the Australian Curriculum in Numeracy and Literacy now and the expectations are much more in line with what Vic and NSW have been teaching for many, many years. Add to that the fact that they changed the entry to mid-year, so (some) children are younger than they were not that long ago (but again, in line with other states now).

DD will turn 6 in late Dec and is in pre-primary. It is expected that they can read books themselves like "I see a dog, I see a cat" etc, she is onto the next level so a page will read something like "I like big dogs. Can you see two big dogs?" etc and the teacher anticipates she will start chapter books by mid-year1 based on her current learning. For maths they have started doing addition and subtraction of two digits in vertical arrangement (no carrying) - which I know the PPs I taught a couple of years ago were not doing.

Eg.
    ____
    ____

I don't know if all the kids can do these, but they should definitely all be able to do single digit addition and subtraction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I teach in nsw and no way would I expect a child who has just started school to read a book or add 2 digit numbers.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

harvs  (17-10-2013),onionskin  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    My daughter starts prep next year (will be 5) - she cant read - im not trying to teach her either though? She LOVES books and we have hundreds of them - we read every night before bed. If i dont read she looks at the pics and makes the stories up - she also 'reads' to her sister this way.

She knows all her letters by sight and can write all the letters - she can write her name, her sisters name and mum and dad etc. She is only just beginging to work out what letter belongs to what ie cat is a c - we play games in the car.

I just figured the next logical step was she would learn to read or start to learn in prep???
    Sounds like she is headed in the right direction! I wouldn't be trying to teach her. All the things you are doing at home sound fabulous and she will develop her reading ability once she starts formal schooling. Parents freak out about having to teach their child things - leave it up to us teachers! The best thing you can do is support their learning at home. Your DD will be fine

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (03-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I teach in nsw and no way would I expect a child who has just started school to read a book or add 2 digit numbers.
    No but we are talking about nearly the end term 3 of their first year of school. I'm don't teach my children before school to read but by the end of term one they are well on their way to reading books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    These aren't things they were expected to be doing any earlier in the year, they are starting them both now (3rd term). I should pull out my curriculum stuff because the 2-digit sums seems a little advanced to me, but I mostly teach upper primary (and DD is finding them very do-able, so I'm not really stressed).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I think a lot is to do with the new curriculum. My DS1 turned 5 in late may and is in prep, he gets a buttload of reading and sight words homework, 2 home readers a night. He's recently been put up to level 7 of home readers but the class average is level 3. Some are higher some are lower. But my friend whose son was in prep in 2011 didnt even do home readers in prep (same school and teacher) yet they expect so much of the kids now.

I definitely agree with focusing on developing a love for books and reading. We have 2 huge bookcases full of books and we read constantly.

If your already reading to him, your doing a great job

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post

Sounds like you're doing all the right things to me. My DS couldn't read before around term 2 of prep.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (03-09-2013)