+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies. My son does know the phonics and can sound out words like c a t, etc i just also subcribed to reading eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by love980108 View Post
    Thank you for your replies. My son does know the phonics and can sound out words like c a t, etc i just also subcribed to reading eggs.
    Focus more on your child enjoying reading.

It doesn't matter if your child is at year 6 reading level in kindergarten. What matters is your child likes reading and enjoys it.

Ask your child questions before, during and after the book. I teach so many kids who can read anything put in front of them, but have no idea when asked a question about the text.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (03-09-2013),PomPoms  (03-09-2013),Stretched  (03-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with the PP's about developing a love of reading. Make it a habit to talk about the story and gauge your child's understanding of what they have read. Comprehension is so important!

As far as teaching him goes, leave it to the teachers. I've come across many kids who have been "taught" at home and often have to undo much of what they have learnt. PM readers are fantastic but you need to know how to use them properly. To understand the levels and when to move up is tricky and as a teacher we benchmark a child to see if they are ready to move up.

It's great that you want to help him! If you really want to teach him something go with 1:1 matching - point to each word as you say it so he gets the idea that we say what we see. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    And also just wondering how old your child is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My child is 5, she can't read. She will learn in school next year. At the moment, she is interested in letters and is learning how to write each letter.

How old is he? Any particular reason you want him to read if he isn't in school yet?

Children need to know the letters and that letters make sounds. Then they need to learn to put the sounds together to read words. They also need to learn sight words because they can't be sounded out.

There's also more to reading that just barking at the words. Reading should be for meaning and enjoyment.
    This is an interesting topic and encouraging that other 5yr olds can't read yet either. Ds loves books and we read every night at home and he does recognise some words but i feel he isn't ready to actually read as such. Yesterday ds's teacher pulled me aside to tell me she has concerns with ds because he isn't reading and gets lost in the maths! Dh and I are quite bewildered that he is expected to do this in pre primary. This isn't the first time the teacher has mentioned ds's development, in term 2 she indicated ds may have a concentration problem but that seems to have sorted itself out since then after having sessions with the OT, it was put down to a development thing. He is the youngest in his class too. But now after what the teacher said yesterday dh and I are convinced they are expected to do too much too soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I learnt to read by listening to audio recordings accompanied by print versions of books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    And also just wondering how old your child is?

He is 5.5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by love980108 View Post
    He is 5.5.
    Is he at school?

They should be teaching him there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you hold him back because he was young? My DS has just turned 6 and is in his first year of school so if the OP's son is 5.5 he may have been held back. I stand by what I said before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    This is an interesting topic and encouraging that other 5yr olds can't read yet either. Ds loves books and we read every night at home and he does recognise some words but i feel he isn't ready to actually read as such. Yesterday ds's teacher pulled me aside to tell me she has concerns with ds because he isn't reading and gets lost in the maths! Dh and I are quite bewildered that he is expected to do this in pre primary. This isn't the first time the teacher has mentioned ds's development, in term 2 she indicated ds may have a concentration problem but that seems to have sorted itself out since then after having sessions with the OT, it was put down to a development thing. He is the youngest in his class too. But now after what the teacher said yesterday dh and I are convinced they are expected to do too much too soon.
    Kimberleygal is he in his first year of formal schooling or still at preschool?