+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help- the phase of the willy wonka!!

Hi everyone, I am wondering (for those of you who have boys, or girls as well, come to think of it...) if you have any problems with your 3 year old exploring down under??

My 3.5 yr old (mildly autistic, not sure if that is relevant...) boy has recently been a little too interested in his willy. Though I know most if not all kids are intrigued by what they find down there, how much is too much? Its not like he has never seen it before. Also is it common for them to have more, well, stiffy's (oh I'm sorry! I have not better way to put it!!) at this age? They are becoming more frequent and to start off with they were clearly annoying him, but now, he's so interested he is pulling of his nappy (not toilet trained yet), lifting his top and standing in front of the mirror looking at it! There is a bit of fiddling going on too, I think its all apart of exploring what it is, but I'm actually a bit concerned about it. It is making me feel uncomfortable. Today we were in the supermarket when clearly (from DS's expression) there was movement down there and he kept punching at it. Because we were in public and he does not understand what "leave it alone" means or "don't do that" it was making me quite embarressed.

Is this something to worry about? Has anyone else had these kind of problems before? What should I do?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My ds is 4 (autistic also) and he thinks its funny to make himself get a boner and then he yells "i got a boingy HA HA HA"

I think its just a novelty thing. I wouldnt be too concerned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS1 was very similar... We ended up telling him that if he wanted to explore he could do it privately in his bedroom as not everyone wanted to see it as it is his "private" part. So we just enforced that, never yelled at him or made him feel dirty but just said "buddy if you want private time go to a private place" the novelty soon wore off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 4yo daughter is obsessed with her vagina. She likes playing with it and she also realized there is a shock value element of telling people about it.

We just sat her down and had a conversation about its totally ok to play with it and explore, but it's something to do in your bedroom and not in front of people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All completely normal. My 3yo has been known to comment when he has an erection and will compare size. All I do if he is fiddling is tell him that other people don't want to see him play with his willy and if he wants to keep doing it he needs to go to his room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou all for replying! I do feel better now, I was feeling so isolated!

Not sure how I am going to convey the "private part" bit to DS and try to tell him you don't do it in front of people though. At 3.5 years, he knows all his colours, shapes, numbers (can count to 60) alphabet and can read up to 30 words, but he does not understand somethings such as "what is your name" or "how old are you" He does not understand what "name" is, or what "how old" means, or even what old means in the first place. There is no doubt he is smart, its just that somethings are hard for him to understand. Ah, the joys of autism!