+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default 8 month old dropping down to 3 bottle feeds

My 8 month old DD has been rejecting her daytime bottles for a couple of weeks, I'm in the process of trying to drop a bottle so she has only 3 bottles a day and hopefully will be more interested in the afternoon bottle. I'm just wondering how others in this situation space out their child's feeds?

I'm thinking to keep on schedule it'll be something like:
    7am wake up and first bottle feed 200ml
    8:30am breakfast (cereal/fruit purée/ toast fingers/ water)
    9am nap
    12 second bottle food 200ml
    1:30 Lunch (meat and veg purée, yoghurt/ water)
    2pm nap
    5pm Dinner (veg purée, finger foods, baby custard, water)
    7 pm bath
    7:30 last bottle feed 250ml and bed

I've read I should be offering milk before food but at night I do it the other way around, and am thinking I should switch lunch around too, any suggestions/ advice? TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my 8mth old has been on 3 bottles since he started food at 6mths. He just prefered food. I was told at this age, the are supposed to get 500mls per day of formula. My DS has 300-450mls max and i really struggle to get that into him most days. Im able to mix a fair bit into his foods. However he's on 50th percentile for everything and doing everything he's meant to be doing. MCHN isnt worried at all. He eats anything and has a great food diet (family meals).

This is our schedule on 3 bottles:
    7am 200mls formula offered, will take 150mls
    8am baby cereal/oates/weetbix with 50mls sometimes more, left over formula mixed with fruit puree/mashed banana and a soldier of plain toast/raisin toast.
    10am nap.
    10.30/11am plain yoghurt with fruit puree mixed in + a cruskit with hummus
    12pm avo sanga on brown bread/vegies/pasta/meat all which he eats himself or mashed avo and banana with 50mls formula added. Pieces of fruit.
    1.15pm sleep.
    4pm 150mls formula offered, will take about 100mls.
    5pm lentils/pulses/hummus/cous cous/fish or vegies sometimes with a home made cheesy sauce. 50mls formula added where i can. Pieces of fruit.
    6.30pm 150mls formula offered, will take about 80mls.
    7pm bed for the night.

Hope that gives you an idea. He also has a dinkee cup of water that he seems to have in his hand most of the time
    DS will be on 2 bottles very soon. before breakfast and before bed at night.
    Then we will switch and have breakky first thing and a bottle before his day sleep (atfer lunch) at 12pm (when he's on the one sleep). And 2nd bottle before bed of a night as usual.
    Last edited by B00ts; 02-09-2013 at 13:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been using a baby whisperer to solve my almost 8 month olds sleep issues she suggested at the age the following routine:
    7am wake,milk feed
    breakfast to follow when it suits your family
    9/9:15am 40m nap
    11:30 lunch
    1pm 2 hour nap
    3pm milk feed
    4:30pm dinner
    6:30pm milk feed
    7pm bed
    im breastfeeding but im guessing it would be similar for bottle fed. hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for the replies! I noticed you both suggest the second milk feed in the late afternoon. Does this interfere with babies night time milk feed? How much would you offer at 3/4pm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is drinking less and less at the 3-4pm bottle. i make up 100mls and he will take most if it. somedays he wont have any so i move dinner forward to 4.30.
    Edit: sorry, forgot to say no it doesnt interfere with his night bottle. i let DS feed himelf for his dinner, He always takes most of his 150ml night bottle.
    Last edited by B00ts; 08-09-2013 at 10:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    the 3pm breastfeed doesn't seem to interfere with her 6:30pm breastfeed. occasionally it is earlier if she wakes before 3pm but i make . sure its never after 3:15pm. she also has dinner at 5pm