+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Silent Reflux, just diagnosed at 14 weeks? Advice please!

Hi everyone,
    since beginning TTC with my husband I have followed many topics in BubHub but have just finally got the courage to register and post!
    Our gorgeous DD was born 21st May this year, by planned c section as she was breech. I reacted badly to the painkillers and was pretty ill afterwards. My milk did not come in and she was admitted to special care by day 4 as she had lost more than 10% if birthweight. So onto formula (no judging please) and she has thrived well. She is a lovely healthy baby, but has always seemed 'uncomfortable' and suffered terrible colic episodes? early on where she would scream from about 8pm - 11 or midnight. We sought advice from MCHN and our paediatrician (DD also has hip dysplaysia and a heart murmur) but were told this was normal newborn behaviour and she would outgrow it. She did somewhat but still had occasional bouts of screaming where she would seem to be in real pain.
    We have had a lot of trouble with day sleeps so went to a day stay to learn settling techniques. She responded really well and was mostly self settling (sometimes with help, patting etc) day and night, sleeping through with a dream feed 7.30pm to 7am. Still needed resettling for day sleeps but this usually worked ok.
    So getting to the point... Last week she began waking every hour, really crying. She did not want to take her bottles, only drinking 60mls or so then crying. She just looked so miserable and unhappy. Took her to the doctors who thinks it is silent reflux. We have started on infant gaviscon with some improvement but she is still unhappy. Her 'voice' is very hoarse. We go back to the GP thurs to re-assess.
    So, do you think this sounds like silent reflux? Can it develop at 14 weeks?
    What medications have been useful for you?
    any other advice welcome!!!
    thanks for reading my essay sorry for the long post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I suspected my 12 week old DS was suffering from silent reflux as he is generally a very contented baby but around 5-6 weeks he started fussing at feeds and then screaming afterwards when you could see his body doing the motion of something coming up, but nothing would come out or perhaps curds in his mouth.

I tried gaviscon and within a day his symptoms had improved - which sort of confirmed it for me that it was silent reflux. It was too hard to adminiser though as he'd only have 1-2 small bottles a day and the rest breastfed. The doctor prescribed Zantac, which he absolutely hates, but it does help and I can notice a difference if I miss a day. He gets 1ml and I usually give it to him with his second feed of the day. When the doctor prescribed it told me to come back if the Zantac didn't help as different medications work for different babies.

Hopefully you won't have an unsettled baby too much longer!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

MillieMollyMandy  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My last son had silent reflux, best thing that worked for us was novalac reflux formula.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It could be, my DS2 suffered really severe reflux and none of the meds worked, nexium made it slightly more bearable. In the end he just had to grow out of it - and that was after he turned 2.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my son had GORD and we propped everything up- when feeding, when in the pram,basinette then cot, change table, bath, he was never laid flat and it really helped keep the acid down...
    I also on advice on paed put him on a teaspoon of farex before every feed. He was a severe case and was put on losec which helped alot.
    Maybe see if giving her a teaspoon of farex before every feed helps as it gives the stomach a lining..

good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, yes, gaviscon has made a difference so I think the diagnoses is correct but she is still unhappy really hope we can find something that helps. Will try propping up her cot tonight and see if that makes a difference. Will ask GP too about change of formula, I'm hesitant to change too many things at the moment though as it might upset her further...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Those electric swing things were really good, because the baby is then in a half sitting position and being gently rocked. DS2 really loved being in his.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had silent reflux and has been weaned off losec since she was 8 months (she is now 14 months). I say if the gaviscon has down improvement, it seems it might be the case.
    We were prescribed losec which worked beautifully. I changed formulas as well to Karicare Aptamil gold HA and added thickener. I tried a few reflux formulas but as she wasn't actually vomiting a lot I found these disagreed with her.
    We kept her upright for 20mins after a feed either in the baby carrier or the baby swing. The baby swing was a god send during this time. We also propped up the cot. Good luck, it's really tough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, she has a swing which she loves (sadly never falls asleep in it though haha) so will try that after feeds. Will chat to the GP about change of formula as well. Hanging out for our appointment on Thursday, really hope we can do something to help her she is so miserable, poor little thing. Am getting DH to prop up the cot tonight too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Often reflux and silent reflux are caused by an intolerance to something. In my DDs case it was cows milk protein.

switching to soy formula and being on nexium (same as losec) did wonders. She was weaned off the nexium at 9 months. She's still off dairy at 18 months old but we are slowly re-introducing it with good success. Though I digress, sometimes finding the cause (sometimes there isn't one) and fixing it is better than the meds.

May e a referral to a paed could help too.

good luck! The screaming really is awful so I hope you can get it sorted.