+ Reply to Thread
    MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need help with Newborn congestion!

LO is 5 wks old and seems to be congested (stuffy nose) for the past week and a half.
    Only at night time and early morning. I used the Fess Little Noses...but i have to use it so often it doesnt seem to prevent it, it just gets rid of her boogies but she still seems to have trouble until the morning....any suggestions to help prevent it?
    P.s i have had a stuffy nose for a few weeks...could she have gotten it from me ?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ours is 8 weeks and he seems congested all the time but it never eventuates Into anything else. We've used the fess drops too, occasionally the little sucker thing and also the humidifier in our room at night. But he's still stuffy and its worse early in the morning affecting his sleep and feeding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mummies sucks when Little ones are sick not alot that can be done medication wise, but I have a few handy tips if the congestion is worse at night elevate cot/basinet with blankets or a pillow not to high just slightly. Steaming up your bathroom strip bub down to a singlet and sit in there for about 10-15 mins before bed. Baby Vicks on the collar of their pjs or on their cot sheets never on babies skin. I was told by doctor the more you use the saline solution and sucker the more mucous baby will actually produce so try to use it sparingly, our bodies don't actually break down phlegm which is why when babies that young have alot of it they will poop it out (charming I know lol) or throw it up and it can be scary but it's actually good that they are throwing it up just means that alot is sitting in their little tummy. Also a vaporiser in their room helps through the night. Good luck I hope your little ones get better soon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mara86 For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh also if you have a hit water bottle or wheat bag heat it up and place in cot or basinet while your feeding so it warms bubs bed up and stops chills.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mara86 For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    Ours is 8 weeks and he seems congested all the time but it never eventuates Into anything else. We've used the fess drops too, occasionally the little sucker thing and also the humidifier in our room at night. But he's still stuffy and its worse early in the morning affecting his sleep and feeding
    Yeah this exactly , i hate hearing her all stuffy, i get worried ....what if it gets worse, what if i missed sonething...panic
    Poor babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mara86 View Post
    Oh also if you have a hit water bottle or wheat bag heat it up and place in cot or basinet while your feeding so it warms bubs bed up and stops chills.
    Thanks so much, will try the wheat bag and vapouriser

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp re elevating cot, saline drops/ spray and have bub in the bathroom with the shower going hot to steam it up. DS2 was very congested at around 2 weeks old - we tried all the above but it was stopping him sleeping and he couldn't feed properly. I took him to hospy and it turned out he had bronchialitis, we ended up staying overnight so they could suction his nose and he needed a little oxygen. If it's affecting their sleep or feeding I would def see a dr.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    I agree with pp re elevating cot, saline drops/ spray and have bub in the bathroom with the shower going hot to steam it up. DS2 was very congested at around 2 weeks old - we tried all the above but it was stopping him sleeping and he couldn't feed properly. I took him to hospy and it turned out he had bronchialitis, we ended up staying overnight so they could suction his nose and he needed a little oxygen. If it's affecting their sleep or feeding I would def see a dr.
    Yeah my ds2 was the same we ended up in hospital for three nights when he was 8 weeks old due to bronchialitis! It's so hard when they are so little but definitely just go into the hospital if you have any worries best to be safe