+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Still concerned...

I posted a few weeks ago about mySons development and lack of babbling/gestures. He is definitely making more connections and constantly saying "dada". Says "ta" sometimes when I ask him to hand me something. The other day he picked up his play phone and said what sounded like hello in the mouth piece. He has repeated this a few times.my concern is with his gestures. He does not communicate what he wants through gestures at all. It seems he has begun randomly pointing but without much purpose and not as a way to communicate. He doesn't wave or clap although he has waved and clapped but he doesn't. If said "where's.......?" he won't look in that direction or point. Driving myself crazy!

Oh and if we go to someone house he freaks out and is super quiet and clings to my husband or myself. He also doesn't have any interest in other children whatsoever. I go back to my paed next week but I,mrsally concerned at this point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is he?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He just turned 1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mumma2503 - sorry I haven't read your previous post, but from what you've said , I wouldn't be overly concerned at this stage. He is probably going through a bit of separation anxiety - wanting to stick by your side is totally normal as is having very little interest in other children at this age. Really try to gauge his understanding of simple things you are saying - and does he search for or gaze at an item you mention (don't worry too much about pointing). Does he respond in other ways, - e.g smile if you say "more?" And offer more food. The range of normal for expressive language and vocabulary is really fairly big in the second year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think your son sounds fine. I have a 13mth old boy who wouldn't respond to "where's...?" questions yet either. He is also very clingy (especially in unfamiliar surroundings) and his vocabulary is "da, ta, and more". My older son is now 26mths old but he didn't start to clap until 14mths, didn't wave until about 18mths and has only pointed to things he wants in the last couple of months. I think maybe some kids just aren't that keen on gestures. Good luck at the paed though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. It's so hard not to worry about little things and it seems every website you read indicates autism. My son is almost 13 months. He isn't interested in other kids at all. I know that people say that it's because he's not around other kids. My friends daughter is not around other kids and she's always trying to engage with my son and he is just not interested. She's the same age, I also read he should be bringing objects to me to engage with me. He's not doing that either. Are these possible red flags??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Possibly red flags but there are lots of boxes to tick for autism so there are so many synonyms he may not have. Try not to stress but get him checked if you are concerned

Thanks
    Reviews
    Toddlers are generally not interested in other children until around 2-3 years of age. It is also absolutely normal for a toddler to be clingy in new surroundings. I also think it's okay that he can't respond to where questions at this stage. It's only his gesture development that is somewhat atypical. Do you model a lot of gesture use around him in an exaggerated fashion? Does he respond to gestures e.g. follow where you are pointing. Also, have you had his hearing checked recently - that can affect his communication development. I constantly worry about things so I can completely relate about your Autism fears. I also know that if you look for symptoms of Autism, you will find a few in most toddlers. If you are still really worried in a couple of months and live in Melbourne I would contact the Olga Tennison centre at Latrobe University. They do early assessments.
    Last edited by babydreaming35; 15-10-2013 at 08:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I still wouldn't be concerned. What interests one child doesn't interest another. some kids are happy to play by themselves. One thing I have learnt is that you should NEVER compare kids. You will set yourself up for massive headaches then. He sounds normal to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mumma2503, I have been reading up about the predictive ability of early autistic signs and apparently it is really low. I can email you some articles about it if you are interested.