+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Endometrial biopsy before IVF, to improve implantation?

Hi ladies

I'm about to do my second round of IVF in October. This time, the FS has a plan for me to have an endometrial biopsy after O this cycle, before getting busy with the Gonal F. Apparently this improves implantation rates in women with implantation issues. I definitely have such issues - three chemical pregnancies and one early m/c at five weeks, plus an unrelated (trisomy) m/c at nine weeks, six weeks ago. And I'm 39 so time is not on my side.

So my question is: have any of you tried the biopsy? Apparently it's also called endometrial disrupting, and also "womb scratching" (which is a bit cutesy for my taste). Did it hurt much? And the most important question: did it work?

I am booked to have the biopsy on the 17th.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Roro!

I had a biopsy immediately before this cycle and got my BFP. I am a firm believer it helped and will be discussing another one in the future when we cycle again.

It didnt hurt at all. Like a pap smear/ET getting ready and then the actual biopsy gave me a brief cramp similar to AF. I took a couple of neurofen about 25mins before hand. I did get some cramping the day of the test, again similar to AF so I cuddled a heat pack for a bit.

def dont be scared and good luck hun x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingbutterfly For This Useful Post:

RoRo  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Roro, I'm a firm believer of the endometrial scratch / biopsy. I Had 2 failed IVf transfers, 2 chemicals and the FS recommended the scratch to help improve implantation and then go straight into a cycle. It seemed to work as after the scratch we had our BFP on our 5th transfer. If we decide to go try for another baby I will certainly be having the scratch again. The procedure itself was just like a pap smear and worth every bit of being a little uncomfortable. I did have very small amount of spotting for a few days after the procedure. Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Our Baby Dream For This Useful Post:

RoRo  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you butterfly and dream! I'm glad to hear that it worked for you (and that it wasn't too painful - after one EPU and two D&Cs I'm getting used to pain but it's never fun).

Two weeks to go til my biopsy; this is the first cycle in two years that we haven't been trying, and it feels very odd to just be having sex for the fun, not for the outcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi RoRo,

Another big believer in the endo scratch here. My first 3 IVF transfers, all with high-grade blasts, were flat out BFNs. 4th transfer was immediately after a lap/hyst/endo biopsy and I got a chemical pregnancy- but at least there was implantation! Transfers 5 & 6 also flat out BFNs.

I had an endo scratch done in my July cycle at 10 or 11dpo and just had transfer #7 in Aug. This time I have a much better looking BFP, BT still to come. Again I've had implantation immediately after a biopsy. That can't be a coincidence!

The procedure itself is fine, though more uncomfortable than a pap smear for me. I took 2 Nurofen about an hour beforehand. I didn't feel the actual scratching, but the catheter they use to open the cervix is much larger than an ET catheter and it didn't tickle! It was all over in under 5 mins. I did have some spotting from then until AF showed, but no cramps or pains.

Best of luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

RoRo  (02-09-2013)