+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It was never possible for us. For those who are able to manage and save for little luxuries I take my hat off to them, because honestly I could never manage it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    By that logic though, VicPark and jennybaby, it would be CCB, CCR and FTB/FTA that should be the first to go. I'm sure these 'tax payer funded benefits' contribute to a lot more overseas trips and house deposits than the ones non-working families receive?

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (01-09-2013),Gandalf  (02-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Luna Lovegood  (01-09-2013),MilkingMaid  (01-09-2013),MissMuppet  (01-09-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (01-09-2013),wilding  (01-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Please don't think the ones able to go on holidays etc don't work hard or sacrifice. (If you stayed with some privilege maybe, but if your starting with nothing is a different story) I carried a note book to record prices in every shop to save every cent. Powdered milk is cheaper than fresh or uht, But only if you buy it from coles.

I have mango in my freezer cause I bought a box of half rotting ones and spent the day sorting them. And I felt embarrassed at daycare when my son was checking the grapes to see if they're squishy caisse he helped me sort the pallet we got for $3.

Just because people find a way to do it, doesn't mean it's easy.

I'd much much prefer to be working. To have my indépendance. To have the social interaction, mental simulation and the hope of future development. Instead I'm doing everything I can to be able to 'enjoy' the life we lead, and save enough money I can so that MAYBE I can complete uni without an insane hecs debt.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Izy; 01-09-2013 at 09:01.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (01-09-2013),Gandalf  (02-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (01-09-2013),MilkingMaid  (01-09-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (01-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not for us. Once my ppl is finished I'll have to go back to work. Dh has been looking and applying for months, with no luck. His permanent residency is still being processed so isn't entitled to any support and parenting payments plus ftb and rent assistance are not enough to live off for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    I really get sick of the myths that continually surface when the subject of welfare payments is raised.

I would love to know what type of benefit allows one to save for an overseas holiday. In all honesty, as someone who is receiving the parenting payment (partnered), it's simply not possible to get ahead and nor should it be.

I'd also love to hear about the benefit that affords you $40K a year. I get $11K if I don't work at all. Much less if I do.

I budget frugally, I watch every penny and yes, there is enough to get by not but not get ahead.

Put it this way, while in receipt of welfare I will never be able to raise a deposit for a home, buy a new car, afford private school fees, have any semblance of reasonable savings. But I can feed my family, maintain a roof and keep the car on the road. If you call the latter getting ahead then you need to revisit what getting ahead ACTUALLY means.
    It isn't a myth. We live in an incredibly wasteful society, however.

As a side note, I don't entirely understand the mentality that if a working person can't afford a holiday overseas then people on benefits shouldn't be able to. Most people I know (even on centerlink) pay roughly 100 dollars a month for the internet that is now, in todays society, classed as a "necessity". If you only use it rarely or use it for facebook or things like that, then cancelling it all together or going for a cheaper option for the net (so pre paid or even dial up, or cancel your home phone and internet bundles entirely and rely on your mobile if you have one) then thats about 130 per month extra you have if the entire thing is cancelled and in a year that's over 1200 dollars. It's entirely doable, for everyone actually. Or everyone I know, anyway. (but in Tas there aren't a whole lot of options for your internet provider so its pretty much 100 a month or dial up speeds anyway).

Like I said, it depends on the payments you get and what gets prioritised.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (02-09-2013),Luna Lovegood  (01-09-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    By that logic though, VicPark and jennybaby, it would be CCB, CCR and FTB/FTA that should be the first to go. I'm sure these 'tax payer funded benefits' contribute to a lot more overseas trips and house deposits than the ones non-working families receive?
    Totally agree with VicPark and jennybaby.

For those of us in the 'middle working class' these payments mean nothing anyway. They certainly don't contribute to my mortgage or overseas holidays! And before you say I should think myself lucky that we were able to purchase a house- well it's not always that simple. Many people who 'own' their own home are on fairly meagre wages (on the cut off), receive no government benefits and struggle to make ends meet like anyone else.

I know it's not a ****ing contest but I just wanted to give my side of it anyway. Probably way off topic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Agreed jennaisme. Internet is a necessity for my mental health, my son's social development and for study, but I've found the cheapest possible option. Same for mobile based on usage, and although I have a home phone (cheaper that way) I use it as a payphone and only connect the phone for 1300 or 1800 numbers.

There are so many small ways to make a big difference in a budget and that is why I can do what I do. It's not to say that I get too much benefits. Just that I sacrifice and scrimp everywhere I can. For example I spent over a year as a single parent with no car in a one bedroom flat because my priority was the other debt first.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And then, as Izy has pointed our, there's the topic of debts. Is it easy to get a loan on centerlink? Nope. You know what is though? Companies who take advantage of this, offer "take home now and pay x amount monthly for x amount of time" so say a TV you could have bought for 500 it then turns into 1500 with the interest on top of it. And a lot of people use these companies. And so its hard to get ahead when you have debts and things like that, no matter how much you're on. So, like Izy, people sacrifice to pay them all off and free up that amount of their money fortnightly, whether they work or are on centerlink.

Im not talking out of my butt, btw, lol. I've learned these lessons the very hard way after being raised by a woman who couldnt prioritise and didnt teach me the value of money/savings, etc, and after I left home for a while I did continue with that cycle that ended me in poverty until I pulled my head out of my butt and sorted it out. I still want to see a financial planner because im sure I still waste money but I cant find where.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If people are working they are entitled to holidays overseas if they choose. It's people who don't work at all shouldn't be able to afford luxuries on that scale. Small luxuries yes, big luxuries no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    If people are working they are entitled to holidays overseas if they choose. It's people who don't work at all shouldn't be able to afford luxuries on that scale. Small luxuries yes, big luxuries no.
    So people like Izy who are ar uni and studying their butts off and scrimping and saving every cent they can aren't allowed a holiday?? Single parents who can't work because there is no one else, who scrimp and save and manage to live on what they get arent entitled to holidays?? People who find it hard to get work(and in Tas, thats heaps. Jobs are getting to be as rare as hens teeth for unqualified people) who still manage to save arent allowed a holiday? What a strange notion.

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (01-09-2013),HarvestMoon  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Izy  (01-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (01-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-09-2013),MilkingMaid  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (01-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (01-09-2013)