+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find it a torturous notion that people on benefits should not be entitled to a few little nice things here and there.

Sure, it can' be so much that no one ever wants to work again. But are we trying to actually punish people? Most people I've known who have been on benefits really don't want to be on them, I know some extremely highly educated women who have worked their entire lives and been let go in their 50s/60s and now no one will hire them, all the usual excuses "over qualified" blady blah. They have worked their entire lives why do they not deserve a holiday? It is quite clear that no one is going to hire them at this point. Through no fault of their own.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (01-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (31-08-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Lauzy83  (31-08-2013),LoveLivesHere  (31-08-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Get ahead, no.. Stay afloat, yes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why not? It depends where you live, what you buy, your outgoings and incoming. Why does it matter whether it's centrelink payments or income from a job? If you receive $40k in benefits, or $40k working, I would imagine a family could save money on that income. I am frugal by nature though and many of the things that are perfectly normal and acceptable for us (cloth nappies rather than sposies, growing food, second hand clothing and furniture, 20+ year old car) would not be acceptable to everybody. People have different priorities on how they spend their cash. If people on a limited income can do without certain things to save money and "get ahead", power to them. Not sure why anybody's nose would be put out of joint by that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it is I know people who have done it and are doing it. One owns her own home already and doesn't pay mortgage or rent and next to no bills but still gets a great deal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Why not? It depends where you live, what you buy, your outgoings and incoming. Why does it matter whether it's centrelink payments or income from a job? If you receive $40k in benefits, or $40k working, I would imagine a family could save money on that income. I am frugal by nature though and many of the things that are perfectly normal and acceptable for us (cloth nappies rather than sposies, growing food, second hand clothing and furniture, 20+ year old car) would not be acceptable to everybody. People have different priorities on how they spend their cash. If people on a limited income can do without certain things to save money and "get ahead", power to them. Not sure why anybody's nose would be put out of joint by that.
    Because the money doesn't come from a never ending bucket of money that sits under a rainbow... It comes from other people (yes I will say it... Taxpayers).

As someone who works 5 days per week I don't have any problem with my tax being used to give someone in need a helping hand. If someone on aid is frugal and saves enough for a weekend up the coast then good on them.

However if they have managed to save enough for an overseas holiday every couple of years ... A house deposit and/or a new car I'm like eeeek! If there is a superfluous amount of tax money around ....give it back to me! I worked for it and would love to go on an overseas holiday or pay off some of my mortgage. If someone is able to save heaps then the rules need looking at. I don't know how exactly. Some type of gauging if someone is in a low cost area to live then they get less.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree vic park. If there is extra money for overseas trips then there is too much money given away for free. It sucks to think, when you have to work long hours just to make ends meet, forfeiting your own luxuries to stay at home as much as possible, that others might be doing nothing but receiving your tax payments and saving to go on overseas trips. I think people on benefits should be entitled to small luxuries, but that is a huge luxury that a lot of working families can't afford.

To be honest, everyone on payments that I know genuinely deserves them and they are certainly not sipping mai tais in Fiji.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    Obviously people shouldn't have a life filled with luxuries on centerlink, but they should be able to save for a rainy day with clever budgeting.

I find it painful when people go on about centerlink being too little but have enough money for drinking, smoking, fuel guzzling cars, partying, tattoos and other stupid things, then complain about the price of food or how they can't study because text books are just so expensive...

No one ever got ahead by having messed up priorities or mindlessly wasting money.
    Exactly this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cassieh For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    I can do amazing things with my money. I certainly would be able to service a mortgage (if I can pay ridiculous rent in Brisbane...), but no way I could get a loan cause mortgage lending criteria considers a basic minimum standard of living.

I fail to see how forcing people like me into unsuitable rentals is better than developing a pension purchase scheme when we could take steps to relieve the housing crisis and to show those on welfare that they are actually worth something in society.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (01-09-2013),FrothyFrog  (01-09-2013),Gandalf  (02-09-2013),HarvestMoon  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),jagamoe  (01-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (01-09-2013),meljemillie  (01-09-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (01-09-2013),sandy cheeks  (01-09-2013),shelle65  (01-09-2013),V8  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really get sick of the myths that continually surface when the subject of welfare payments is raised.

I would love to know what type of benefit allows one to save for an overseas holiday. In all honesty, as someone who is receiving the parenting payment (partnered), it's simply not possible to get ahead and nor should it be.

I'd also love to hear about the benefit that affords you $40K a year. I get $11K if I don't work at all. Much less if I do.

I budget frugally, I watch every penny and yes, there is enough to get by not but not get ahead.

Put it this way, while in receipt of welfare I will never be able to raise a deposit for a home, buy a new car, afford private school fees, have any semblance of reasonable savings. But I can feed my family, maintain a roof and keep the car on the road. If you call the latter getting ahead then you need to revisit what getting ahead ACTUALLY means.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happy wanderer For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All of what Vic Park said.

I think that as a society we should support those who need it. I don't think they should be for people to live a life in excess.

If someone was sick or disabled, or caring for someone sick or disabled, I absolutely think they should be afforded the same lifestyle as your average Australian. And probably other examples I can't think of!

Unemployment BENEFITS, I believe, are just that. A short term hand to help in a difficult and transient situation. If you have capacity to work, you should do so to support the lifestyle you aim for.

As unpopular as this will be on a parenting forum, I don't support wide spread parenting benefits. You decide to have a child and, if so, part of your responsibilities to that child are financial. You pony up with the cash. There are extenuating circumstances of course, like the single parent who obviously has a usually unforeseen change in circumstances.

Just my two cents worth. Centrelink is not a given right to all and sundry to dip into the money pot for whatever they please. And we have enough deficiencies in our public government system that could use the finances.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (01-09-2013)