+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am of the belief that centrelink payments should only be for those that genuinely NEED them, and really, should be a temporary thing until you get back on your feet (unless of course those with mental/physical disabilities, carers, pensioners etc.). I'm not saying that if you happen to be great at budgeting and are able to save some while you are receiving payments (if this is possible) you shouldn't, but i'm not sure - is saving for yearly overseas trips or buying houses really what these payments are intended for?? I'm sure this will not be a popular view....

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (31-08-2013),cassieh  (01-09-2013),MamaNurture  (31-08-2013),soccer mum  (02-09-2013),VicPark  (31-08-2013),wannawannabe  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    I am of the belief that centrelink payments should only be for those that genuinely NEED them, and really, should be a temporary thing until you get back on your feet (unless of course those with mental/physical disabilities, carers, pensioners etc.). I'm not saying that if you happen to be great at budgeting and are able to save some while you are receiving payments (if this is possible) you shouldn't, but i'm not sure - is saving for yearly overseas trips or buying houses really what these payments are intended for?? I'm sure this will not be a popular view....
    I agree. However, if someone's unfortunate enough to be on them for long enough for whatever reason- and they wipe your bum on newspaper, eat boiled rice and scrimp and save, I hope they enjoy every minute of that overseas holiday!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (31-08-2013),Mokeybear  (31-08-2013),oozzle  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    People must have a pretty weird view of us because yes we rely on centerlink payments, but we also get a superannuation income. I budget, we've saved to go overseas next month took me over 18 months of saving everything I could, we just purchased a brand new car and we pay a mortgage, my 2 oldest are also in a private school. I guess we just prioritise what we have and put away when we can. I know people who earn double or triple what we do, but with nothing to show for it.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to V8 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (31-08-2013),Mokeybear  (31-08-2013),mrstuilawa  (01-09-2013),oozzle  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    People must have a pretty weird view of us because yes we rely on centerlink payments, but we also get a superannuation income. I budget, we've saved to go overseas next month took me over 18 months of saving everything I could, we just purchased a brand new car and we pay a mortgage, my 2 oldest are also in a private school. I guess we just prioritise what we have and put away when we can. I know people who earn double or triple what we do, but with nothing to show for it.
    You were the first person I thought of reading this post. You are a prime example of someone who is very smart with money.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

V8  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What sort of centrelink payments are you on? How can you get them when you get a super pension too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We're on partial payment disability for DH and I get carers pension and carers allowance x 2, plus FTA & FTB. And yeah then military super as he was in the army when he became disabled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL is on a full aged pension and lives in Department of Housing units. Never worked a day in her life really, no savings or anything. She just booked an trip to Fiji with her sister for next summer. She very regularly spends about $100 on social bus trips. She spends about twice as much a week in fuel as us, but only travels for social engagements.

And she wants us to pay $5000 for her knee surgery, because she doesn't want to go publicly!!! Lol, don't get me started.

I agree - Centrelink benefits are for essentials. I am also inclined to think (as a generalization) that if you can afford overseas holidays and other luxuries, perhaps that subsidized unit could be better utilized by someone else.

Again, my views of welfare are not generally popular.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We're on partial payment disability for DH and I get carers pension and carers allowance x 2, plus FTA & FTB. And yeah then military super as he was in the army when he became disabled.
    I might get flamed for this but I don't see any problem with you living an ok life as your hubby was in the army when injured. Serving the country well you should be looked after, a super pension to top up centrelink is a part of that. Assuming your hubby's injury was related to his employment? Then you should have a life of the same (or similar standard to when hubby was working.

I have to admit though I would be a tad cranky if someone in a different situation (low income or unemployed not because of a disability) was able to buy a new car, pay for private school and go on an overseas holiday all based on centrelink.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (01-09-2013),ICanDream  (31-08-2013),Smyles  (01-09-2013),soccer mum  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree.

Thanks to your family for your service.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I know we're in a unique position and I am extremely grateful the army looked after him, he was not injured while working but was still entitled to a benefit as his injuries are lifelong severe injuries where he will never fully recover and never return to any form of employment. We are lucky to have the military super and the centrelink that supplements that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to V8 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (31-08-2013)