+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalgirl View Post
    I've lived in places where the houses are less than 80k but a 2 litre carton of milk is currently $8, an average squeeze bottle of tomato sauce is $10, home brand bread $5, and the only shop for 600kms sells single nappies in a disposable nappy bag for $3 each. Fuel hasn't been under $2 a litre for three years.

Where do you live???

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husbands grandma saves lot of her pension from Centrelink. Her son owns the home she is in and pays the rates but after he small bills and food which isn't alot she saves and wonders why they give her so much money.

I think if you owned you house it may be possible but not an enjoyable lifestyle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought centerlink covered "the basics" ? I can't imagine being able to save for a house and service a loan on those payments alone.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Ok intrigued to know how you get an overseas holiday a year based on Centrelink payments?
    I have a friend that does it every year. She is on PPS and lives in DOH so has very cheap rent. She also doesn't care about utility bills and debt collectors so I guess she saves some money there as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I thought centerlink covered "the basics" ? I can't imagine being able to save for a house and service a loan on those payments alone.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app
    While we were living solely off benefits there is no way we could have saved for a house deposit. Like I said, it was $1100 a fortnight for a family of 3. With the extra bit we get these days it seems more achievable but whether the banks will loan to a family who relies so heavily on benefits is another thing.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    While we were living solely off benefits there is no way we could have saved for a house deposit. Like I said, it was $1100 a fortnight for a family of 3. With the extra bit we get these days it seems more achievable but whether the banks will loan to a family who relies so heavily on benefits is another thing.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone
    That's it..they will take a centrelink payment (not newstart though) into consideration as a 'contributing income' when working out affordability, but they won't approve a home loan to someone on ONLY centrelink payments.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I know someone with a few loans one being a home loan on only payments (veteran disability and carers)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I have a friend that does it every year. She is on PPS and lives in DOH so has very cheap rent. She also doesn't care about utility bills and debt collectors so I guess she saves some money there as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That is disgusting. It's people like her that makes me want Centrelink to bring in some sort of voucher system to ensure that the money goes towards the essentials first.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (01-09-2013),soccer mum  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I know someone with a few loans one being a home loan on only payments (veteran disability and carers)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    'Some' lenders will loan [not many of the major banks] - the payments would still have to show affordability though. Your friend may have had assets etc also?
    Like others have said - if the 'home loan' isn't much more than a car loan or personal loan, it may be possible... but for the 'average' priced home - getting a loan on centrelink payments alone would be very rare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I personally cannot. I work part time while studying full time as I don't earn enough other wise.

I'm in a better position then others on PPS though as I still live in the marital home, but do not get child support nor rent assistance.

It is very little money and is very difficult.

I don't drink much, and I don't smoke.

I personally feel for any one relying solely on benefits.