+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd say they didn't claim their assets with centrelink if they've got a new car and investment property. If they weren't paying rent they wouldnt have been eligible for rent assistance. That has no bearing on newstart allowance.

You do still receive newstart if you work under a certain amount of hours, at least that's what it used to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They did claim their assets sort of they cleared all the bank accounts so it looks like they have nothing and put money in as needed or pay cash. To me that's where the system is flawed. Some people can barely pay for their own home to live in let alone having an investment property.

I have never been on the dole but used to struggle even with centrelink. I know it's tough but we made some changes and now do pretty well for ourselves and are meant to receive some centrelink benefits. I feel like we get ahead on our payments. I guess it just depends really on circumstances

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    I know someone who worked and received new start as that's how it's "supposed" to work. Because they weren't earning enough. How is that right? They own an investment property don't pay rent and have an expensive new car.
    They have been on and off the system for yrs and I know someone else who has been on the dole their whole life and lives comfortably as she had kids and then got housing. She hasn't worked a day in her life. Now I'm sorry but that is wrong everyone should work at least at some point and it's not that being a stay at home parent as she hasn't worked long before she had kids and legitamet disability .
    They must be getting income from somewhere else because you can't afford that on new start.

I don't feel any jealousy to those living in housing.

I've lived in housing and would never want to go back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    I know someone who worked and received new start as that's how it's "supposed" to work. Because they weren't earning enough. How is that right? They own an investment property don't pay rent and have an expensive new car.
    They have been on and off the system for yrs and I know someone else who has been on the dole their whole life and lives comfortably as she had kids and then got housing. She hasn't worked a day in her life. Now I'm sorry but that is wrong everyone should work at least at some point and it's not that being a stay at home parent as she hasn't worked long before she had kids and legitamet disability .
    That is the way newstart works. It's not based on hours any more. I was bringing home $600 a week and still getting $100-150 of my newstart a fortnight. I was declaring my income right and all. It's just how the system works to help people.

With the person you mentioned having investments up to a certain amount is perfectly fine. If they exceed a certain amount then there is an exclusion period but it doesn't affect the amount you get unless they're earning rent or interest from it.

And thw mother you talk about, is she disabled? Or are you saying that it's not like she's disabled?

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

PlayNice  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    That is the way newstart works. It's not based on hours any more. I was bringing home $600 a week and still getting $100-150 of my newstart a fortnight. I was declaring my income right and all. It's just how the system works to help people.
    Really? I was bringing home less than $600/week as a single mum and was cut off?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    Really? I was bringing home less than $600/week as a single mum and was cut off?
    They recently changed it figures a bit. They didn't increase the overall amount you get but upped the limit on the amount you can earn before it affects your payments. Years ago I was earning $600 a fortnight and only getting $20.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm struggling to understand how it matters how people budget their payments.

From the examples of those who have gone on overseas trips, it is obvious that they have scrimped to the max and have lived a very frugal existence. Who cares that they prioritize a holiday and would rather make their own clothes etc?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (27-09-2013),HarvestMoon  (28-09-2013),NORgirl  (21-01-2016),SassyMummy  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree with you SalsaMama. Too much judgement going on in BubHub with this sort of thing. Unfortunately, the media doesn't help with its constant stereotyping of government benefit recipients as being bludgers, violent crims and parasites on society.

The rules have changed across the board for benefits in recent years and even months. The new government has hinted at changes to Labor's change of parenting payments for those with children over 6 given the hardship forcing them onto NewStart has caused. So it changes all the time.

There is no static rule and one that fits all.

We budget and live frugally but comfortably and for that I am grateful. Having lived in govt housing when I was younger, I would hate to have to go back to that again. They can keep their cheap rent.

But when I wrote earlier I did forget about the Baby Bonus I was given when I gave birth to my son. We didn't use it. It's in an account under our son's name. So I guess, if we wanted to, we could've gone on a holiday at that point. But on normal payments, no way.