+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends WHERE you live. If you are in a remote area where houses cost 80k...then yes. If you live in the city where houses cost 800k...then no. Depends on a whole range of circumstances.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (31-08-2013),MissMuppet  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    Obviously people shouldn't have a life filled with luxuries on centerlink, but they should be able to save for a rainy day with clever budgeting.

I find it painful when people go on about centerlink being too little but have enough money for drinking, smoking, fuel guzzling cars, partying, tattoos and other stupid things, then complain about the price of food or how they can't study because text books are just so expensive...

No one ever got ahead by having messed up priorities or mindlessly wasting money.
    This is a big thing. Too often I've heard people complain about how much they get but then drink a bottle of rum and smoke 3 packs of smokes a week as well as going out drinking at least once a week. I know smoking is additive and can be very hard for people to quit but most of the ones I know that complain don't want to quit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok intrigued to know how you get an overseas holiday a year based on Centrelink payments?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Ok intrigued to know how you get an overseas holiday a year based on Centrelink payments?
    If you were to base it on the other thread and those figures you could easily afford a trip to Fiji (which is $240), a cruise, or a trip to NZ...you can also get those Vanuatu/south pacific deals where kids stay and eat for free...

Wouldn't be anything fancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It is cheaper for me to fly to Japan than Melbourne at the moment. :what:

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    I think it depends WHERE you live. If you are in a remote area where houses cost 80k...then yes. If you live in the city where houses cost 800k...then no. Depends on a whole range of circumstances.
    That certainly helped us, our house was $52,000 ($55,000 with lawyers etc.), Repayments are less than our rent was, rates and insurance bumps it up a bit more but those are also really cheap in my area.
    If we were still in the city there is just no way we could have ever even dared dream of owning our own home (even an extreme fixer upper like this place).
    There is also less to spend money on out here lol, but Internet shopping kind of evens that out

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends on the payments you're on and if you're just wasting your money or not really. And I don't just mean with random crap people buy. If you pay 100 dollars a month for unlimited internet but only use the internet for facebook, then you're wasting money in a month. If you have foxtel/austar but only watch one or two channels then you're wasting money in a month and long term it would be better financially to watch the tv shows you like online or buy the box sets (personally I find foxtel/austar to be a waste even if you have more than one channel but meh) so for example that's nearly 200 dollars in a month you're wasting and on sale you can get tickets to Bali for about that and sometimes less.

If you live near or go near a fruit and veg shop and a butcher but you go to Coles/Woolworths(particularly in off seaaon for fruit and veg) you pay about 120 a month extea in food bills, and if you meal plan and stick to it then it's even cheaper to shop.

Power is a hard one because people are locked in and people in some states only have one provider to choose from. But if you pay it fortnightly instead of when the bill comes in, then the bill is more managable. Not cheaper really but easier to manage and so easier to pay. Same with water and gas if you have it.

And then there's everything on top of that that people spend their money on really. Little things no one realises. I think im forgetting a few things but it's doable. Ot depends on a few outside circumstances though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    I've lived in places where the houses are less than 80k but a 2 litre carton of milk is currently $8, an average squeeze bottle of tomato sauce is $10, home brand bread $5, and the only shop for 600kms sells single nappies in a disposable nappy bag for $3 each. Fuel hasn't been under $2 a litre for three years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    If you were to base it on the other thread and those figures you could easily afford a trip to Fiji (which is $240), a cruise, or a trip to NZ...you can also get those Vanuatu/south pacific deals where kids stay and eat for free...

Wouldn't be anything fancy.
    You're right. It would be. **** it's amazing how far money goes isn't it?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    It is cheaper for me to fly to Japan than Melbourne at the moment. :what:

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    The cost of flying to regional centres is a huge bug bear of mine. You're right.