+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wasn't objecting to the sentiment, just the use of CCR for the comparison. I think it's apples and oranges.

Anyway. Semantics. As you were.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    Are you using the payments to help put lots of energy into studying and finding work? Yes? Well that's exactly what the payment is for. Are you intending on using it as your main source of income indefinitely without investing into your future prospects? Are you saving for a holiday in Fiji or are you buying text books and clothes for interviews?

I would suggest your priorities are in line with the intentions of the support payment.

As I have previously said. All government spending has clear purpose. If you are using payments for their intended purpose as a stepping stone to paid employment, then great. If government workers get dragged over the coals for using government money to buy coffee, as it wasn't intended for this purpose, I can't see why people on payments designed to assist them until they can get into paid employment should baulk at the idea of those payments being used for essentials as they were intended.
    As I mentioned, I have finished study and cannot find work. My payments pay for petrol, childcare and doctors bills. That's it. All of it gone with those three things. I am very lucky I was able to move back into my parents house so that my child and I could eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Can only imagine Ana Grams joy that she has passed 'muster'.
    Indeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm interested in this too and agree that these subgroups of people aren't really the focus of concern. Neither group can work. There are a lot of people claiming that they can't work when in fact they can but don't want to and have no plans for how to move off payments into paid employment.
    I won't deny there are a small minority that fit this category. But it's actually quite difficult now days to stay on welfare just to sit on your butt. Once you are on Newstart for more than a few months you need to be applying for lots of jobs. Over 6 months and you are put on Work for the Dole. So even if you aren't genuinely looking for work then you have to work 5 days a week without any increase in CL.

For single and partnered payments, you have to look for work or study once your youngest is in school, or you simply don't get a payment.

To get Austudy you need to be studying full time, which is 8 modules a year. I'm currently studying and I do not kid you when I say I'm doing 8-10 hour days 6 days a week and I'm currently doing a placement, unpaid of course. If you go below the 8 for the year, they cut your payment for Austudy completely off.

So most of these payments are quite stringent to keep getting paid.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Jennybaby  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Honestly, apart from those who have been made use a Basics Card, the money you get from Centrelink or the Family Assistance Office is yours to use as you damn well please.

If you are entitled to FTB, receive it, but do not require it to afford the basics, then good on you for being able to save it and go on a holiday. It's STUPID if you're doing that when you CAN'T feed your family, obviously, but the same is true regardless of where that money is coming from.

If you can live on an income small enough to mean you're entitled to benefits and be able to save on those benefits, then really, truly, good on you. I think it'd be a struggle for most, so I'm pretty impressed if anyone in that situation is managing to budget that effectively. I suck at budgeting.

I don't see why it's the business of anyone else tbh.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (02-09-2013),babyla  (02-09-2013),BH-KatiesMum  (02-09-2013),HugsBunny  (02-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013),peanutmonkey  (02-09-2013),SoThisIsLove  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a working mother, not a person who sits at home using hubby's income.
    Oh yes all those poor hubbies out there who have a partner at home who look after the children and maintain the household, so they can go off to work carefree and know their children are just fine, are being cared for by the other parent, the household is all taken care of, shopping done....Only to realise they are being used for their income! Outrageous!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (04-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013),MeeG  (02-09-2013),Mokeybear  (02-09-2013),peanutmonkey  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Are you using the payments to help put lots of energy into studying and finding work? Yes? Well that's exactly what the payment is for. Are you intending on using it as your main source of income indefinitely without investing into your future prospects? Are you saving for a holiday in Fiji or are you buying text books and clothes for interviews?

I would suggest your priorities are in line with the intentions of the support payment.

As I have previously said. All government spending has clear purpose. If you are using payments for their intended purpose as a stepping stone to paid employment, then great. If government workers get dragged over the coals for using government money to buy coffee, as it wasn't intended for this purpose, I can't see why people on payments designed to assist them until they can get into paid employment should baulk at the idea of those payments being used for essentials as they were intended.

Why do you get to decide what the payments are intended for?

SSP is not necessarily a stepping stone for some, until their children are much older. I'm perfectly ok with that.

Even when using it as a stepping stone, if you are lucky enough to be able to get ahead, then great. You are probably an awesome budgeter and know how to find a bargain.

Years ago I was was a sole parent, and I had no opportunity to get ahead, or save extra money, because there was none.

I started out very young -owning nothing, had no car, no Internet, no phone, paid full rent and found life very very difficult. The poverty I experienced made it hard for me to get out and study (I did but it was hard). I also received no child support.

Since then I've studied more, had jobs, been married, gotten my licence, bought cars and houses, own everything I need. This time life on income supports since my divorce has been tough, at times, however far easier then before, as I have a house to live in, a car to drive ( and am able to access work), I have all the furniture and things I need, and whilst I don't receive child support directly it's paid into the mortgage at the moment, so rent is not an issue. Whilst I'm not wealthy, I can afford to get by. Sometimes it's still tough but it's nothing like it used to be.

If I want I can save for a holiday, but any savings at the moment are going on legal fees.

The situation for people on supports benefits can vary greatly from person to person. Depending on child support, family help, ability to share accommodation, assets accrued and so on.

Im afraid that if you have not experienced it, you have NO clue what it's really like. However I wouldn't wish it on anyone, no matter how self righteous.
    Last edited by sockstealingpoltergeist; 02-09-2013 at 21:55.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (02-09-2013),beebs  (04-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (02-09-2013),happy wanderer  (03-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shellandliv84 View Post
    I m not entitled to most centrelink payments so even as a single mum always had to work to survive, but just curious, is it possible to get ahead on centrelink, eg, save for a house, have multiple kids, etc?
    To answer the original question, , if your income is greater than your expenses then you will have capacity to save.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

PlayNice  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    So now its not just people on welfare who are being judged but SAHM's who don't claim welfare? (Not that there is anything at all wrong with either IMO)

How a family spends THEIR income is THEIR business. Whether one or both contribute financially, how on earth is it any of your business who stays home and how much?

Im a fulltime SAHM to 3 boys. My husband works. We dont receive welfare or FTB etc. So I use my husband's income but I can guarantee you I dont 'sit at home'. What a cop out and an insult to all SAHM's.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (03-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013),Purple Lily  (02-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    So now its not just people on welfare who are being judged but SAHM's who don't claim welfare? (Not that there is anything at all wrong with either IMO)

How a family spends THEIR income is THEIR business. Whether one or both contribute financially, how on earth is it any of your business who stays home and how much?

Im a fulltime SAHM to 3 boys. My husband works. We dont receive welfare or FTB etc. So I use my husband's income but I can guarantee you I dont 'sit at home'. What a cop out and an insult to all SAHM's.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I only wrote that comment in response to another comment that said the comments were coming from people who are happy to use their husbands money. It wasn't intended as an insult at all, though i now recognise how it would have looked like that. Of course sahm work hard.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think people's sensitivities are high and we all agree on more than what we care to admit. I think everyone agrees SAHM's have a tough gig. And I don't think anyone is against those in need receiving a helping hand. And people that can budget: good on them. I think people just disagree to the extent to which people should be able to 'get ahead' while on welfare. For me saving for a rainy day, a small holiday is fine. An overseas holiday or a house deposit not so much. Each person will have a different threshold though.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Jennybaby  (03-09-2013),Meags82  (03-09-2013)