+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    It makes sense to me, you are saying someone else is being rude, while being rude yourself. That is how you are coming across, it may not be purposely done, but that is the way it sounds.
    No, I wasn't saying anyone was being rude.

You seem to be getting offended because you don't agree with my point of view, not because I'm being rude.
    Last edited by Meg2; 02-09-2013 at 15:49.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Please.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Izy  (02-09-2013),V8  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At the risk of going completely off topic. I think it is quite interesting that you are telling me the reason I am getting offended. Very strange.

Back to topic, I wouldn't begrudge anyone saving their money for a holiday, welfare payments or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    No, I wasn't saying anyone was being rude.

You seem to be getting offended because you don't agree with my point of view, not because I'm being rude.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (02-09-2013),Mokeybear  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I think a lot of people don't actually realise what it is like out there for people looking for work. I've been on Newstart for 18 months (studying). I've been applying for jobs for the last 6 months and have had no luck so far. I sacrificed a lot to obtain a degree to better my chances of getting off welfare and still can't get a job. It's just not as easy as people make out and it is certainly not a 'lifestyle'.
    Are you using the payments to help put lots of energy into studying and finding work? Yes? Well that's exactly what the payment is for. Are you intending on using it as your main source of income indefinitely without investing into your future prospects? Are you saving for a holiday in Fiji or are you buying text books and clothes for interviews?

I would suggest your priorities are in line with the intentions of the support payment.

As I have previously said. All government spending has clear purpose. If you are using payments for their intended purpose as a stepping stone to paid employment, then great. If government workers get dragged over the coals for using government money to buy coffee, as it wasn't intended for this purpose, I can't see why people on payments designed to assist them until they can get into paid employment should baulk at the idea of those payments being used for essentials as they were intended.

I'm a working mother, not a person who sits at home using hubby's income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    Are you using the payments to help put lots of energy into studying and finding work? Yes? Well that's exactly what the payment is for. Are you intending on using it as your main source of income indefinitely without investing into your future prospects? Are you saving for a holiday in Fiji or are you buying text books and clothes for interviews?

I would suggest your priorities are in line with the intentions of the support payment.

As I have previously said. All government spending has clear purpose. If you are using payments for their intended purpose as a stepping stone to paid employment, then great. If government workers get dragged over the coals for using government money to buy coffee, as it wasn't intended for this purpose, I can't see why people on payments designed to assist them until they can get into paid employment should baulk at the idea of those payments being used for essentials as they were intended.

Can only imagine Ana Grams joy that she has passed 'muster'.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (02-09-2013),Mathermy  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    It just bugs me when I hear people say that those on welfare deserve the same things as someone earning an income.
    Not the same 'things', the same respect, and the same opportunities.

I must have must the post(s) where people were whinging they were entitled to the same things...?

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (02-09-2013),Izy  (02-09-2013),Lauzy83  (04-09-2013),peanutmonkey  (02-09-2013),SassyMummy  (02-09-2013),SoThisIsLove  (02-09-2013),wilding  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post

So... Just out of curiosity, what happens when you have all your text books and one or two nice suits? Do you just keep buying them or pop the money away? Would it be more acceptable to put the money away just because, incase there's a bill of some description? What happens if there's not?

Ftr, I find it hilarious "my hard earned tax dollars" can go to funding your child care or child care rebate so that you can work to buy luxuries but can't go to someone who manages to save their munnies to go to Fiji.

Actually, thats a kind of good point. Very few people actually "need" to work, if the purpose is survival. If your DH earns enough to pay the bills and feed you guys, then anything more than that is a luxury. Therefor if you are accessing child care or child care rebates so you can work, you're working to have money to buy luxuries. So tax payers are actually still funding your luxuries.

If you're paying for full time care and not getting the rebate or anything then I guess it wouldn't apply to you. But it's an amusing thought to me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Jennaisme; 02-09-2013 at 16:53.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-09-2013),beebs  (02-09-2013),BornToBe  (03-09-2013),delirium  (02-09-2013),Izy  (02-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (02-09-2013),singlemumma82  (03-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (02-09-2013),SoThisIsLove  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Actually, thats a kind of good point. Very few people actually "need" to work, if the purpose is survival. If your DH earns enough to pay the bills and feed you guys, then anything more than that is a luxury. Therefor if you are accessing child care or child care rebates so you can work, you're working to have money to buy luxuries. So tax payers are actually still finsing your luxuries.

An excellent point actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The child care rebate has a very immediate benefit for the country's bottom line though. If a woman is working she is having a positive impact on the economy even if she isn't doing it strictly for 'survival'.

As always, I am loathe to post that because I am sure there are plenty who would happily misconstrue it as an attack on non-working mothers. It's not. It's simply intended to point out that the child care rebate isn't directly comparable with other types of government payments.
    Last edited by NancyBlackett; 02-09-2013 at 17:00.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (02-09-2013),VicPark  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    The child care rebate has a very direct benefit for the country's bottom line though. If a woman is working she is having a positive impact on the economy even if she isn't doing it strictly for 'survival'.

As always, I am loathe to post that because I am sure there are plenty who would happily misconstrue it as an attack on non-working mothers. It's not. It's simply intended to point out that the child care rebate isn't directly comparable with other types of government payments.
    I have no issue with the child care rebate at all. And don't overly care why it's given or why it's recieved. But people make the point that Fiji is a luxury thats paid for with "their hard earned tax dollars". I was just making the point that so is anything bought with their child care rebate or money earned while their children are in child care. Whether it's of benefit or not to society is irrelevant to the point. I think not making people just scrape by is a benefit to society and far better long term and more financially viable than government funded drug and alcohol workshops(something that a lot of people who are poor turn to) or mental health services for depression caused by poverty and the feeling of never getting out of that place. *Shrug*

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-09-2013),beebs  (02-09-2013),Izy  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)