+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    There is always this underlying vibe that the wealthy automatically work harder, are better people and are therefore more deserving of money. I'm not sure it would go down well telling a working woman on 100k a year that she cannot spend her PPL on anything but the baby and she'd better dare not go on a holiday with it!
    Yes exactly - It's so true that there is no correlation between how much someone earns and how hard they work. Sure, many high income people work hard, but many don't, and that goes for all income brackets!

Opportunity has a LOT to do with it. And a lot of the high income-earners I know we're extremely lucky, knew the right people or were in the right place right time to get their major opportunities in hard-to-get-into fields. And pretty much all of them had support which in my experience is crucial in order to achieve these things.

Likewise some of the hardest working people are the lower income earners. And yes there's bludgers in all walks if life too who really do have an attitude of entitlement none-the-less.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (02-09-2013),atomicmama  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I it is possible to "get ahead" on centrelink payments. When I received youth allowance is was a nice top up to my part time income. It allowed me to save money, go on a holiday and have a disposable income but I think I was able to do that because I have good money management skills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know, why doesn't the government introduce a new payment - something like an "annual luxury payment" for everyone lol. Bad budgeters and struggling workers deserve holidays too.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (02-09-2013),Meg2  (02-09-2013),Mokeybear  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    I know, why doesn't the government introduce a new payment - something like an "annual luxury payment" for everyone lol. Bad budgeters and struggling workers deserve holidays too.
    Hahaha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Isn't this what a lot of people use FTB supplements for?

Sent from my telecommunications device.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (02-09-2013),wilding  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be solely funded by certain people's 'tax bucks'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love that post starlight!

I find it very telling when the word 'deserve' gets thrown around so much in threads about welfare. Just because a person or family manages to afford something - be it through hard work, family support or just dumb luck - it does not mean that everyone else also 'deserves' this. News flash folks, some people just have more privileged lives than others, we can't all live like royalty. It may not be *fair* but hey, that's life.

Welfare is there to ensure people have a roof over their heads and food on the table when they need it, not to be the great equalizer in society. Posts talking about what people deserve and about things not being fair sound very immature and self-entitled.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (03-09-2013),Night Owl  (02-09-2013),Purple Lily  (02-09-2013),Star Light  (02-09-2013),wobblermummy  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post

I find it very telling when the word 'deserve' gets thrown around so much in threads about welfare. Just because a person or family manages to afford something - be it through hard work, family support or just dumb luck - it does not mean that everyone else also 'deserves' this. News flash folks, some people just have more privileged lives than others, we can't all live like royalty. It may not be *fair* but hey, that's life.

Welfare is there to ensure people have a roof over their heads and food on the table when they need it, not to be the great equalizer in society. Posts talking about what people deserve and about things not being fair sound very immature and self-entitled.
    Does it also sound immature and self-entitled when people talk about "my tax dollars" going to people who don't deserve it? Just out of curiosity. Especially when they "dont deserve" the holiday they were saving for by making sacrifices the people who do work don't WANT to make?

For the record, and I want to make this clear so all and sundry can take note. People on welfare, despite what people think, are not the scum of the Earth. They are not sub human or beneath your notice or empathy. They are not sitting in their huge houses with their big TVs cooking up schemes to get more of "your tax dollars". They are not living the high life. They should not be forced further and further into poverty by people who take issue with the fact that they can't manage their own money so they give themselves the right to comment and degrade and make worthless the people who have had to learn and sacrifice for these things. The same things working people take for granted.

And, while I'm on the topic, who is anyone to dictate what is and is not an acceptable way to spend someone elses money? If I earnt more than you, would you appreciate me walking into your home and telling you that you shouldn't have this or that because I pay more in tax than you do, "my tax dollars" goea further in the public purse than yours does, does more for the community than yours, allows you to put your kids in child care so you can work, allows you to not have to pay full price for any medication you may require, means the school you send your children to are going to be better funded?

No?

Then why do people think they have the same right to comment on someone else?

13. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (02-09-2013),atomicmama  (02-09-2013),beebs  (02-09-2013),boogasmumma2011  (02-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (02-09-2013),HugsBunny  (02-09-2013),Izy  (02-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (02-09-2013),Mokeybear  (02-09-2013),Purple Lily  (02-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (02-09-2013),wilding  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    The only thing I know I, and other welfare recipients, deserve is some respect and freedom of choice with OUR money. NO ONE has a right to dictate how the correctly allocated funds are spent once it is in the recipients account.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (02-09-2013),ProudMumma34  (02-09-2013),Purple Lily  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post

Untrue I'm afraid.

Do you not realise that most people access " welfare" in the form of child care rebates, insulation, first home owners grants, public health care, public education and on and on it goes.

Most people on here also receive FTB A and B but that's OK because we aren't talking about that kind of welfare. Hilarious and hypocritical.

Welfare is not supposed to be about barely surviving its about being able to participate adequately in society. Governments now look at poverty in Terms of access and participation in society. This is because not having the means to do so can cause further poverty.

A child's life can be majorly affected by not having access to the same things as their peers. Having adequate medical care, transport, the right uniforms, dental care, food,and the same opportunities should be afforded all children, regardless of their parents income.

I think all people are deserving and entitled to equity.

Its difficult to be able to apply for a job without skills, a decent résumé, a nice suit, reliable transport and so on.
    Last edited by sockstealingpoltergeist; 02-09-2013 at 14:21.

17. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-09-2013),beebs  (02-09-2013),ChickyBee  (02-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (02-09-2013),Ellewood  (02-09-2013),happy wanderer  (03-09-2013),HugsBunny  (02-09-2013),Izy  (02-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (02-09-2013),Mokeybear  (02-09-2013),singlemumma82  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-09-2013)