+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think anyone has actually addressed the question asked a couple of times - if welfare is intended to be a stepping stone, a form of assistance during difficult times - why would one be scrimping and saving for bug luxury items over the long term anyway??

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but it is a genuine question. Is it because in many cases it is not being used as intended. Some people have no intention of returning to the workforce at all even if they were able to. It is actually being used to fund lifestyle choices (i.e. to stay at home with the kids)?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

Meg2  (02-09-2013),VicPark  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Someone may be on disability. Or studying a degree that may take 4/5/6 years. Or a single mum whose relationship fails when the children are very small, has no family support and would be min wage and actually lose money paying CC. So she stays home until the children go to school.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-09-2013),HarvestMoon  (02-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (02-09-2013),wilding  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    I don't think anyone has actually addressed the question asked a couple of times - if welfare is intended to be a stepping stone, a form of assistance during difficult times - why would one be scrimping and saving for bug luxury items over the long term anyway??

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but it is a genuine question. Is it because in many cases it is not being used as intended. Some people have no intention of returning to the workforce at all even if they were able to. It is actually being used to fund lifestyle choices (i.e. to stay at home with the kids)?
    For me, I was out of work for quite a while. Not through not trying to get work but just because work didn't exist where I lived. It makes you depressed and down and miserable and I hated it but honestly, with how the job market was I didn't think it would EVER change. It's not that I wasn't trying, there just was nothing and the jobs I did get interviews for then found someone cheaper or more experienced to hire. It's horrendously disheartening and your future starts looking bleak and miserable and worthless.

This isn't when I got my head out of my butt, btw. It took a few years after that. I'm illustrating that for some it isn't a matter of not using the money as intended but wanting and needing something to look forward to, just like every body else. Just a break away from feeling worthless because no one wants to hire you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (02-09-2013),Izy  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    CCR and CCB have been mentioned a few times but I don't think these can be classed as "on Centrelink". I think the OP was referring to people who receive Centrelink payments as their primary source of income?

I don't know many people in this category but the ones I do would not be able to afford luxury items and overseas holidays. But if they went without to scrimp and save then good on them I say.

Although being able to scrimp and save over the long term for these things does raise the question... Are these people on Centrelink income payments for good? I thought it was generally intended to be a short term thing (obvious exceptions of course).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post

Some people might be unemployed long term for a variety of reasons, disability, age (pensions), they might be in an area where jobs are scarce or have children and not have access to childcare or before and after school care, or care is too expensive so that they wouldn't actually make a profit from working - there's many reason people go on receiving benefits for longer than a few months or years or however long you'd consider long term.

I'm sure that's also the big question a lot of people would like answered for people who want to work but for whatever the reason cannot be employed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my experience of employing people & seeing the desperation on some people's faces trying to get work - it is a full time job, trying to get a full time job.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (02-09-2013),HugsBunny  (02-09-2013),Izy  (02-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    I need part time work in Brisbane due to having no family support with my son. It's not going to happen any time soon. It's why I've decided to study.

My degree will take a minimum of 5 years if I work my botbot off and life doesn't get in the way.

I'm not going to be saving for a holiday, but I'll continue to scrimp and save so that hopefully I'll have the finances to DO something with my degree when I graduate.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course I am not talking about pensioners or people who are unable to work. And, of course there are circumstances where finding work is extremely difficult - I totally understand this!! But can you really tell me that there aren't those out there who simply choose to live off government payments even if they were able to work and would be financially better off working?? And for these people, I don't think I like the idea of money being saved for the purpose of big luxury items??

Addit: (I know for a fact they are out there as I know several).

Thanks
    Reviews
    In short, they are not YOUR tax dollars. It is the money the Australian government has after you pay a required bill. Otherwise, start asking what your gas and power companies spend YOUR money on after you pay them for their bill after you've used their service.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app[/QUOTE]

The thing is that most government spending is closely monitored. For example, teachers are not allowed to buy biscuits with tax payer money as it isn't intended for feeding teachers, it's for educating students. People do ask questions when politicians use tax payer money for meals, unwarranted can fares, flights (mr slipper?). It really annoys me (and a lot of others) when people use tax payer dollars for purposes other than it was intended. People do it all over the place and it's not fair no matter who it is. When people are using taxpayer money to support a lifestyle rather than as essential support it is not fair on the rest of us working and paying taxes. Our taxes could be lower if we were all using the funds as they were intended. It's not going to happen, but it doesn't stop me being bothered by the fact that it does happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cab fares. Sorry. On iPhone.