+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to Love View Post
    I have worked (as a professional) for 15 years. I stopped working when I had my DS but will resume work again next year when he is 18 months old.
    The first part wasn't directed at you in particular. The second part you seem to have passed over - I worked for a decade being abused, stalked and assaulted for pittance. Just bc you happen to earn more, and I happen to have chosen a career which is severely undervalued, doesn't mean you are any better or worthy than I am... or anyone that earns less for that matter.

No one is picking on you. You've said some pretty controversial things than are bordering on offensive. If you have the strength to say it, be prepared people are going to disagree with you.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),wilding  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks hugsbunny. Yes;, that was exactly the case. I did save and budget to be able to pay for accommodation and food as well as the airfares travel and entertainment. I simply don't expect people to pay for me or do things for me. They did, and that was fabulous. It meant I still had savings when I got back!

I certainly don't begrudge people on high incomes, although it makes my blood boil when those on mid to high income complain about their lack of access to welfare such as childcare benefits. Especially when those people have the support of family and partners. It just reeks of an entitlement mentality.

And yes I did over dramatise. Not for sympathy though(although all the support is always appreciated and going on my gratitude jar ladies!). It was to highlight the fact that a blank and white mentality is incredibly limiting and fails to factor in the fact that we are human.

The previous mention of food stamps... They often increase the hold of the duopolies as you have to buy from a major supermarkets. I shop around and buy cheap. I use my freezer and buy in bulk at factory outlets and through fruit shops etc.

If I go back to the op though, I am an awesome budgeter, but even I can't really get ahead on benefits. I can set the ground work so that I'm more likely to succeed once I get a job, but while on welfare I can't.

Having a reliable car is not really getting ahead. Having a balance in leisure and responsibility (although with only one night without my son in almost six months I question that lol) is not getting ahead.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a tax payer, a worker, a small business owner, a mother, a wife, AND a welfare recipient if you count baby bonus & a few years ago a child care rebate.

I know a few people claiming singles & they are partnered, this annoys me the most.

I also know of a few of my family members that are paying back welfare whether deliberate or not idk.

But, I have never seen anyone get "ahead" on welfare. I've seen them survive. With the people I know all that's between them & the bottom line is an unexpected bill then they are wiped out & back peddling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Very true about an unexpected bill causing financial tragedy.

I actually had my last car catch fire (nice affordable second hand car). Luckily I was insured (I'm a big beleive in insurance) and so with the payout decided to get something that I KNEW the history on. So for some a new car is a luxury, at this point I wouldn't call my new car more luxurious than a second hand car. Although I love that it doesn't need a fire extinguisher (then again the Renault copped three and still melted the whole front Lol)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    ok - by many standards I am one of 'those women'.

My husband earns a fairly high income, and I do not work (well, not much anyway).

But I get more in assistance from the government than 5 single mums put together. I am on seriously expensive medication ... that the government nicely enough pays for me because I am sick.

Even on my high income, I likely could not afford my meds ... but I am not ask to contribute much towards them because ... well, because I am lucky. My meds are on the PBS so I pay $35 a month.

What makes me (and many, many others) so special that we get so much from the government without a means test or anything like that - but someone like a disabled person, and elderly person or a single mother - gets so little?

So no - I do not begrudge someone who is likely to only need welfare for a short time in their life some help ... I hope they can get enough to get ahead. To get out of the welfare cycle if they are in it, or to get over the circumstances that cause them to need assistance.

And I am certainly willing to pay more in tax for that to happen.

9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (02-09-2013),beebs  (01-09-2013),BornToBe  (02-09-2013),CMF  (02-09-2013),delirium  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Izy  (01-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013),Mathermy  (01-09-2013),Mod-Myztik  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (02-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (02-09-2013),SoThisIsLove  (01-09-2013),Star Light  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tbh I think it depends on the individuals situation. I haven't read all the replies.

For example, myself, dp and Dd live with my parents. If we did save and budget yes we could.
    We pay $100pw rent - which goes into a saving ac that Mum set up and i can't access.
    Monthly expenses $100 foxtel , $80 mobile, $140 cc repayment, $120 loan, $160loan, $50 loan, $120 private health insurance. $40 month DDs bank ac.
    The rest of our money is wasted - looking at this freaks me out, I really need to budget & save more agh

Dp is on patenting payments (hes not working atm due to some health issues) I'm on new start (I run my own business, so my allowance varies, each fortnight, but I normally only get $100-200 less each fortnight than the max rate plus what ever I earn)
    It's quite obvious that we have some very unnecessary expenditures. So realistically we could have a lot more left over that would add up to a nice savings!
    If we were renting there is no way we would have anything left over nor would we be able to afford luxuries such as foxtel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

I think people are forgetting that with welfare you are receiving someone else's hard earned dollars. It's a privilege not a god given right. You should only be given the amount you need to feed, clothe and house your family. Welfare is other peoples money and shouldn't be the mechanism by which people pay for luxuries such as overseas trips and house deposits.

I find this quite funny to be honest. DH and I can not work and our family's pay their fair share of tax and in all honesty my dad pays more tax than I get from centrelink. And our families have no problems what so ever because they know that thanks to their tax dollars we can survive. I guess they are just good hearted people

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boogasmumma2011 For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Izy  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    ok - by many standards I am one of 'those women'.

My husband earns a fairly high income, and I do not work (well, not much anyway).

But I get more in assistance from the government than 5 single mums put together. I am on seriously expensive medication ... that the government nicely enough pays for me because I am sick.

Even on my high income, I likely could not afford my meds ... but I am not ask to contribute much towards them because ... well, because I am lucky. My meds are on the PBS so I pay $35 a month.

What makes me (and many, many others) so special that we get so much from the government without a means test or anything like that - but someone like a disabled person, and elderly person or a single mother - gets so little?

So no - I do not begrudge someone who is likely to only need welfare for a short time in their life some help ... I hope they can get enough to get ahead. To get out of the welfare cycle if they are in it, or to get over the circumstances that cause them to need assistance.

And I am certainly willing to pay more in tax for that to happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by boogasmumma2011 View Post
    I find this quite funny to be honest. DH and I can not work and our family's pay their fair share of tax and in all honesty my dad pays more tax than I get from centrelink. And our families have no problems what so ever because they know that thanks to their tax dollars we can survive. I guess they are just good hearted people
    Why is that funny? If you cannot work at all through disability(? i assume) I don't think anyone is begrudging you support. I think the problems arise when some of us are working for what other people get without working. Especially if families are working and only getting a low income. All that was suggested is that payments are used to help support families to survive until they can stand on their own two feet. They aren't designed to fund a lifestyle, they are a means to an end.

My thoughts are that they money saved for the mythical 'overseas holiday' could proactively be invested in a business startup or training so that welfare is no longer needed.

I Agree ftb is not the same as welfare. It's a tax benefit.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (02-09-2013),MamaNurture  (02-09-2013),Star Light  (01-09-2013),VicPark  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Okay, caught up now. Wee.

Ive finally figured out why the My Tax Dollars thing annoys me.

Because tax is a bill. It's not a choice. You aren't paying it out of the goodness and kindness of your heart. If you were, you wouldn't claim it back at the end of the year, you wouldn't claim the tax free threshhold and I'm assuming you wouldn't pay as much as you do.

Tax is a bill paid to the Australian government for the upkeep of the roads you use, the running of the hospitals you use, public and private school funding, etc etc. In short, unlike other bills (gas, power, etc) it benefits the whole community, not just that single business.
    Although that single business then pays tax that make it possible for everyone to gain some form of assistance from the government and other tax payers. Not necessarily monetary but assistance in some way. Or do you not use PBS for medication? Use medicare? Send your kids to school? Drive on roads? Etc etc.

No one ever really questions where "their" tax dollars go unless its used to help someone who is in a position where the Australian government has decided they need help.

In short, they are not YOUR tax dollars. It is the money the Australian government has after you pay a required bill. Otherwise, start asking what your gas and power companies spend YOUR money on after you pay them for their bill after you've used their service.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (02-09-2013),beebs  (02-09-2013),BornToBe  (02-09-2013),ChickyBee  (02-09-2013),delirium  (02-09-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (02-09-2013),HugsBunny  (02-09-2013),Izy  (02-09-2013),jagamoe  (02-09-2013),Jakois  (02-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (02-09-2013),Mokeybear  (02-09-2013),peanutmonkey  (02-09-2013),PlayNice  (02-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-09-2013),Señor Chang  (02-09-2013),singlemumma82  (02-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (02-09-2013)