+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    Harp on and on about 'breaking the cycle' of poverty but if things were the way you wanted VP, it would be harder to break that cycle.
    The way I want it? Are you referring to my belief that there should be generous welfare for those trying to better their lives? (Eg parents who are studying to get better jobs).

Welfare isn't about breaking the poverty cycle in itself...it's about keeping people afloat so they can make changes in their lives so they can break the cycle. Eg If you want out of poverty use the welfare system to help you study for a higher paying job. Don't expect welfare to fund your house deposit or overseas trip (not saying people on here do but it's the theme of the thread).
    Last edited by VicPark; 01-09-2013 at 21:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    The original comment was about that it was ok for the wealthy to evade tax but welfare cheats are the scum of the earth.

It was not about all rich people.
    I don't think anyone said this exactly. A pro welfare member asked why it was more acceptable for tax evasion rather than receiving welfare. I replied that I though both were wrong but perhaps tax evasion was more acceptable as the offenders earned their money to begin with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What I find really interesting are the posts that someone equate value to worth. My mother was taken out of school at 15 to become a secretary - that is what you did with girls back in her day. She then put herself through the matriculation when she was 24 years old, and went to uni - that she had to pay for by working at the same time. She wanted an education so badly, and she got one. And she works doing something she loves - but she doesn't get much money for it.

That doesn't mean she should be valued less - she did the hard yards to get where she is today, she isn't rich, she is educated and happy doing the things she loves, that should be every bit as important and being rich.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (01-09-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It's the big wins that get people's backs up: private school, new car, overseas holiday. Big wins make people think there's more to the story than a person being a great budgeter: such as the person getting too much welfare, welfare they are not (or should not) be entitled to.
    I don't know a single family on welfare that have all this? However where I do see this a lot is middle/higher income families who are getting middle class welfare that are sending their kids to private school driving a new car.... and still getting FTB. That bought their house with tax payer funded first home buyers.

I find this is the group that is spending 'people's tax dollars' on these sort of things. But no one says a word about that bc "they work hard". Tell that to the family where Dad is working 10 hour days in a factory on a low wage so they still get full FTB.

There is always this underlying vibe that the wealthy automatically work harder, are better people and are therefore more deserving of money. I'm not sure it would go down well telling a working woman on 100k a year that she cannot spend her PPL on anything but the baby and she'd better dare not go on a holiday with it!

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-09-2013),BornToBe  (02-09-2013),ChickyBee  (02-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (01-09-2013),FearlessLeader  (01-09-2013),FrothyFrog  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),peanutmonkey  (01-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    I hope "rich" DH never leaves you, or gets a debilating illness, or one of your kids doesn't get critically ill. It's a fine line between middle class and struggling, a few months dealing with something like cancer and your there. I hope you never have to experience living on the dollars that rich people throw in the air.
    I always find the most scathing of low income people aren't the working mums. It's the ones that don't even work, but have husbands on big incomes. I find that ironic.

Addicted to Love - I have a degree in a field with 4 years of uni, and sh*t pay. I'm currently doing my 2nd degree. I worked 50 hour weeks. So how does that fit in your world?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),TaylasWorld  (08-09-2013),wilding  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if I am repeating someone. Maybe it is because I was raised on the belief that what someone does with the money they get (either from wages or welfare) is no one else's business but the only real problem I have with someone on welfare managing to scrimp and save for a holiday or new stuff is that I am jealous! I would love a overseas holiday and new car but I am not as good at saving as some of you it seems

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (02-09-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (01-09-2013),Izy  (01-09-2013),Purple Lily  (01-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    Like your DH I also studied and worked hard to set myself up in a comfortable position. I am often told I'm lucky - and luck had to nothing to do with it. My issue was your comments about poor people expecting rich people to throw their money in the air. Welfare is there to support people in need, you sounded like you resented being part of that system. I was pointing out that anyone can find themselves in a position of needing help from the system - even you, so i dont believe anyone should begrudge those in need getting assistance.
    I have honestly seen plenty comments on the hub insinuating that the rich are just lucky, and if all those that have money simply gave it to all those that needed it the world would be a perfect place, it just doesn't work like this. My DH and I do our bit, we give to charity regularly and ironically, just this week we have given a significant amount of money to a charity in honour of my stillborn nephew for his impending anniversary, so honestly, those who say I need empathy can go get .....

In the past 48hrs money has been such a contentious issue on here and I have read some vein popping comments. The hypocrisy of all those people jumping on the OP yesterday for spending her benefits on cigarettes then complaining about how much she is receiving and now those same people are scorning me, the tax paying, for dare having an opinion

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (01-09-2013),TimeForWine  (02-09-2013),VicPark  (02-09-2013)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to love /QUOTE
    and now those same people are scorning me, the tax paying, for dare having an opinion
    We all pay tax, you're not special in that regard.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-09-2013),happy wanderer  (03-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),peanutmonkey  (01-09-2013),wilding  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    [

I always find the most scathing of low income people aren't the working mums. It's the ones that don't even work, but have husbands on big incomes. I find that ironic.

Addicted to Love - I have a degree in a field with 4 years of uni, and sh*t pay. I'm currently doing my 2nd degree. I worked 50 hour weeks. So how does that fit in your world?
    I have worked (as a professional) for 15 years. I stopped working when I had my DS but will resume work again next year when he is 18 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to Love View Post
    In the past 48hrs money has been such a contentious issue on here and I have read some vein popping comments. The hypocrisy of all those people jumping on the OP yesterday for spending her benefits on cigarettes then complaining about how much she is receiving and now those same people are scorning me, the tax paying, for dare having an opinion
    Well actually, the topic in question, the OP's partner has a f/t job and is only receiving FTB so by most people's standards that's not welfare is it? People weren't actually complaining what she spent her money on. They were addressing the fact she was on a more than livable income but was complaining the govt didn't give her enough. So you are kind of twisting things now. Apples vs oranges.

And I'm more than sure if a single mum who lived solely on welfare, started a thread saying she was always broke while racking up unnecessary debt, smoking and getting tattoos and saying she wanted more money - she would have coped even more ire than the member in question. Bc the latter has a working partner.... so it's ok to get payments

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013)