+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to Love View Post
    No, my DH got rich by having an education, studying years for a uni degree and working damn hard to climb the corporate ladder.

Why is it that "poor" people always think "rich" people should throw their hard earned dollars up in the air like it is of no object to them!?!?
    I have never seen that sentiment expressed on bubhub or anywhere else for that matter. What I have seen on here is a desire that everyone no matter what their income be treated equally and fairly, and that people who want for less than others conduct themselves with grace.

I don't think that is much to ask?

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (01-09-2013),atomicmama  (01-09-2013),beebs  (01-09-2013),Clementine Grace  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Izy  (01-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),peanutmonkey  (01-09-2013),RobinSparkles  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, my DH got rich by having an education, studying years for a uni degree and working damn hard to climb the corporate ladder.

Why is it that "poor" people always think "rich" people should throw their hard earned dollars up in the air like it is of no object to them!?!?
    I hope "rich" DH never leaves you, or gets a debilating illness, or one of your kids doesn't get critically ill. It's a fine line between middle class and struggling, a few months dealing with something like cancer and your there. I hope you never have to experience living on the dollars that rich people throw in the air.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (02-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-09-2013),singlemumma82  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it largely depends on where you live and the cost of housing as to how far you can get ahead (if at all). A friend whose household is Centrelink dependent but lives in a very cheap area has a very nice life, they go on at least one interstate trip a year (flying), run two cars, kids do a lot of extracurricular activities etc. I have found it interesting that in the deserving vs undeserving of getting ahead conversation there have been no mention of people on the age pension. My MIL has pretty much never worked in her life , she is now on the Age Pension, because she has no mortgage and is a good budgeter she manages to go on an overseas trip every year. It is no skin off my nose how she spends her payments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    I hope "rich" DH never leaves you, or gets a debilating illness, or one of your kids doesn't get critically ill. It's a fine line between middle class and struggling, a few months dealing with something like cancer and your there. I hope you never have to experience living on the dollars that rich people throw in the air.
    That's why we PAY to have Income Protection Insurance and Life Insurance.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    Well said, but for the grace of god go I.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

PlayNice  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's why we PAY to have Income Protection Insurance and Life Insurance.
    Pity you can't purchase a bit of empathy.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (02-09-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),just her chameleon  (02-09-2013),Luna Lovegood  (02-09-2013),MamaNurture  (01-09-2013),Mathermy  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),NoteToSelf  (01-09-2013),onionskin  (02-09-2013),peanutmonkey  (01-09-2013),RobinSparkles  (01-09-2013),singlemumma82  (02-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-09-2013),wilding  (01-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    who does he work for? What kind of corporation? How do they pay him?

Im studying too. I am sure ill get a well paying job when I'm done.

I know that I won't just have that job all because as an individual I'm better or somehow more deserving. I will have it because I'm in the fortunate position that I got the correct support from many different people, and that enables me to study. Others are not as fortunate.
    Im in that position because someone loans me a car to use as no banks will currently lend to me, others are not so lucky.
    im in this position because I have family help me with my son whilst I work and study. Others are not so lucky.
    Im in this position because of previous study that I was able to do thanks to the fact that my family cared about my education, others are not so lucky.

Many people have jobs because corporations create jobs to enable them ( the corporations) to make more money. Others are not so lucky, as big corporations are notorious for making as much as they can for share hiders, the bottom line matters, so they will cut penalty rates and jobs if the opportunity arises.

Are you supported by him by your husband? What makes you more deserving of support then single mothers?

Lets not pretend that our society isn't run on a system that celebrates some people simply because of their wealth and ability to exploit and penalises others, without recognising that their are multiple ways to contribute to society. $$$ Should not come before human rights and compassion.

I used to be married to someone who earned a lot of money. I wasn't poor, and I still felt the same way I do now.
    My comments were in reply to a comment you made and have been taken completely out of context. Nowhere did I say we were more deserving, just that money still has value for those that have it, we still have a mortgage and bills to pay, a family to raise and none of it was handed to us on a platter, I detest people undermining the hard work it has taken both my DH and I to get to this point, money doesn't grow on trees for us either. I have absolutely no problem with the taxes that myself and my DH have paid over the years to help those who truly need it and for that reason I'm not going to bother replying to your long winded questionnaire.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (01-09-2013),TimeForWine  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Stupid phone thanked a post I didnt mean to

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My comments were in reply to a comment you made and have been taken completely out of context. Nowhere did I say we were more deserving, just that money still has value for those that have it, we still have a mortgage and bills to pay, a family to raise and none of it was handed to us on a platter, I detest people undermining the hard work it has taken both my DH and I to get to this point, money doesn't grow on trees for us either. I have absolutely no problem with the taxes that myself and my DH have paid over the years to help those who truly need it and for that reason I'm not going to bother replying to your long winded questionnaire.
    I have bills to pay, and a family to raise, I too have paid tax and worked hard.
    And continue to do so. I do have a silver platter, but it was a gift from my mother and unfortunately came with no money.
    I detest it when people undermine my and others hard work, just because i may currently receive benefits, all the while ignoring their own benefits and privilege, thus believing because they happen to have more $$$ that they have the right to look down on others.

The hardest working people I know are some low income earners.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (01-09-2013),Ellewood  (02-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like your DH I also studied and worked hard to set myself up in a comfortable position. I am often told I'm lucky - and luck had to nothing to do with it. My issue was your comments about poor people expecting rich people to throw their money in the air. Welfare is there to support people in need, you sounded like you resented being part of that system. I was pointing out that anyone can find themselves in a position of needing help from the system - even you, so i dont believe anyone should begrudge those in need getting assistance.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-09-2013)