+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I am calling bs on this.

Every private school i know has a fee relief program for single parents and HCC holders.

STOP CALLING PEOPLE WELFARE CHEATS for being good with their money.
    Welfare cheats are more rife than you think.... this is half the problem. They tend to give honest people a bad name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I am calling bs on this.

Every private school i know has a fee relief program for single parents and HCC holders.

STOP CALLING PEOPLE WELFARE CHEATS for being good with their money.
    Stop putting words into my mouth. I never said someone who is good with their money is a welfare cheat. I suggested that someone who can afford a new car, house deposit, private school while on welfare perhaps doesn't need all that welfare. Yes a small minority of them may be welfare cheats, but that's another thread.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (01-09-2013),PlayNice  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    Welfare cheats are more rife than you think.... this is half the problem. They tend to give honest people a bad name.
    Actually they are not. I have fair idea of how many welfare cheats there are.

This by no means gives anyone the right to call someone who manages their money well a cheat.

If you want to call someone a cheat you better have evidence.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Stop putting words into my mouth. I never said someone who is good with their money is a welfare cheat. I suggested that someone who can afford a new car, house deposit, private school while on welfare perhaps doesn't need all that welfare. Yes a small minority of them may be welfare cheats, but that's another thread.
    The problem with this idea that if they can scrimp and save and sacrifice to get themselves and their families ahead means that:
    Either the government will just not pay out any welfare and will pay all bills directly and have a grocery account.

The government will lower the amount of money people on centerlink get so the ones who dont scrimp and save and do use the money they get for "approved" luxuries will have even less money to cover the same amount of bills they see as necessity.

The government and society will start thinking people on welfare shouldnt be at least comfortable, not rolling in cash but so broke you have a choice between wiping your butt or eating noodles.

Not everyone is this good with money or budgeting. You would punish a whole group of people for.. not wasting money? For not using it on "essential" items as deemed by the general population.

It makes no sense. At all. Because person a on centerlink decides to spend their money on the internet then person b has to as well or they're getting too much money?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Izy  (01-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Tax evasion costs the government more each year than it does to pay eveyone on newstart (who's recipients are accused of being cheats more than any other benefit) yet you don't seem to hear people complain about how people are sending that money.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    The problem with this idea that if they can scrimp and save and sacrifice to get themselves and their families ahead means that:
    Either the government will just not pay out any welfare and will pay all bills directly and have a grocery account.

The government will lower the amount of money people on centerlink get so the ones who dont scrimp and save and do use the money they get for "approved" luxuries will have even less money to cover the same amount of bills they see as necessity.

The government and society will start thinking people on welfare shouldnt be at least comfortable, not rolling in cash but so broke you have a choice between wiping your butt or eating noodles.

Not everyone is this good with money or budgeting. You would punish a whole group of people for.. not wasting money? For not using it on "essential" items as deemed by the general population.

It makes no sense. At all. Because person a on centerlink decides to spend their money on the internet then person b has to as well or they're getting too much money?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

I get what you're saying though about some people being good budgeters and some being terrible budgeters. And how do you stop luxury spending with welfare money while not leaving the bad budgeters broke. I'm not sure what the answer is. Perhaps the US has it partly right. Food stamps could be expanded to rent and utility stamps. You don't get flat rates regardless of your expenses, you get payments tied to expenses. And if you don't spend the cap, you don't get to pocket the extra. Sure this probably needs more thought.

I think people are forgetting that with welfare you are receiving someone else's hard earned dollars. It's a privilege not a god given right. You should only be given the amount you need to feed, clothe and house your family. Welfare is other peoples money and shouldn't be the mechanism by which people pay for luxuries such as overseas trips and house deposits. Being good with money is an admirable quality. In response to the OP I think in some cases people on welfare can get ahead, do I think they should be able to, to the extent of house deposits, overseas holidays and new cars? No.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    Tax evasion costs the government more each year than it does to pay eveyone on newstart (who's recipients are accused of being cheats more than any other benefit) yet you don't seem to hear people complain about how people are sending that money.
    The difference is someone who is evading paying tax (which is wrong) works for their income. While a welfare recipient is receiving someone else's money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think anyone is saying people on welfare shouldn't have a little win here and there: especially if they are good with their money.

It's the big wins that get people's backs up: private school, new car, overseas holiday. Big wins make people think there's more to the story than a person being a great budgeter: such as the person getting too much welfare, welfare they are not (or should not) be entitled to.
    i think it's a waste of tax payers money to supplement wealthy people, who I feel benefit from the current capitalist culture/ society we live in. Why does no one care about their big wins?

Are you on income support benefits?

If not you probably will never have the empathy or insight to understand the struggles and difficulties, and that as a patent your child shouldn't have to miss out just because you are divorced etc

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The difference is someone who is evading paying tax (which is wrong) works for their income. While a welfare recipient is receiving someone else's money.
    Wealthy people get rich off of other people and resources.

Most people on income supports are working as well.

Most people on income supports will be off them in a short time frame.

but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-09-2013),HugsBunny  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    NO they are both cheating the Governments (the peoples) not someone else's money.