+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying people on welfare shouldn't have a little win here and there: especially if they are good with their money.

It's the big wins that get people's backs up: private school, new car, overseas holiday. Big wins make people think there's more to the story than a person being a great budgeter: such as the person getting too much welfare, welfare they are not (or should not) be entitled to.
    But what if they're giving up those little things to save for the big things? What difference does it make to anyone else? I think you'll also find that catholic school will work with people to on benefits and will often reduce school fees for them. I know it was one thing mentioned to me when DS was having trouble at his old school. In fact at one stage we worked out that it was almost equal to what we were paying at the public school because of the amount of stuff we had to buy and the cost of excursions and what not.

As for new cars, if the person can show a good credit hostory and enough of a deposit to show the banks they are reliable enough to pay off a car loan than more power to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Paying a few dollars in GST when you claim more in benefits and services doesnt count. I will probably get flamed for this but you can't (or shouldn't) count yourself as a taxpayer if your net welfare received is greater than the tax you pay.
    Yeah... right. That tax "doesn't count".

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (01-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think anyone is saying people on welfare shouldn't have a little win here and there: especially if they are good with their money.

It's the big wins that get people's backs up: private school, new car, overseas holiday. Big wins make people think there's more to the story than a person being a great budgeter: such as the person getting too much welfare, welfare they are not (or should not) be entitled to.
    Except it's not a "win". Win implies nothing was done to achieve the goal they set. They sacrificed, decided they could live without some things for x amount of time to pay for y instead. So the amount of money is still the same. What they do with it is different.

Im assuming you would class say 20 dollars per week spending money as a "small" win, right? Thats a coffee a day at 3.50 each. That 3.50 each adds up to 1200(give or take a few coffees) in a year.

So if you save your one coffee a day money, thats 1200ish per year.
    Then you have the internet. You wake up and realise one day that hey, I have 1200 dollars in my savings account. I think id really like to go to Bali next year. So what do I need to do to have about 3ishk for that? Lets see.
    I dont really use the internet except for fb and I mostly do that on my phone. And the library has internet if I decide I really need to use it for something big so hey, ill cancel that.

BAM, another 1200 in their savings account if theyre on one of those 100 per month plans.

Then they think "Hmmm... That tv I pay off at 60 per month, thats kinda exxy and I dont need to. Maybe ill put my bali holiday on hold just for a little bit and pay the remaining 300 off that.
    BAM thats another 60 per month.
    Now that person has redirected their priorities to something they want. So instead of what most people see as (and for some it is, dont get me wrong) a necessity which is the internet, at 50 per fortnight for that, then a new tv for entertainment which is 30 per fortnight for that, and just giving up their special coffee time or whatever it is they use that 20 per week spending money for, they suddenly can save 260 dollars a month.
    Then they look at their grocery bill and do a stocktake of their house. And they realise they buy a lot of pre packaged for convenience or they get the really expensive veggies from Coles/Woolies so they start making snacks from scratch and buying their veggies cheap. So that takes another 20 off their shopping bill fortnightly and rounds it up to 300 per month which iiis 3600 in a year and enough to go to Bali.

There is no win. Only rearranging prioroties and being strict with suddenly freed up money.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    Seriously? How many people on centrelink benefits have kids in private school, new cars and overseas holidays?? I would think there main concern would be trying to manage a roof over their heads and food.
    I know someone receiving welfare and she recently took her (three) kids to Europe. I also know people on welfare who have kids in private school. They filled in a form and.provided proof that they are on newstart and they dont pay any school fees. So it does happen

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

I am calling bs on this.

Every private school i know has a fee relief program for single parents and HCC holders.

STOP CALLING PEOPLE WELFARE CHEATS for being good with their money.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-09-2013),Boobycino  (01-09-2013),btmacxxx  (01-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (01-09-2013),Izy  (01-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suppose because I always thought that only people who are having a hard time or are facing unforeseen circumstances and require assistance financially, would be the ones receiving full benefits. I would assume then that even if you could scrimp and save and give up the little luxuries to put money aside, that it wouldn't then be used for an overseas holiday, car etc.? I would be surprised if this was a common thing really. (This of course doesn't include people on a pension of any sort or carer etc. who of course are unable to work and should be able to live comfortably).

I was on the dole at one stage my life after losing a job. All my efforts and spare money went into gaining qualifications etc. and being able to move back into the workforce. I am not too bad at budgeting and saving, however holidays and cars were never in my thoughts. I was receiving welfare because I needed it while I got back on my feet. I am so grateful that this is available to us. I just can't help thinking that some people use it as a way of life and not a stepping stone? I honestly don't mean to offend anyone - it is just the way I see it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I am calling bs on this.

Every private school i know has a fee relief program for single parents and HCC holders.

STOP CALLING PEOPLE WELFARE CHEATS for being good with their money.
    With all due respect, private schools in major capitals generally don't have much by way of fee relief.

Around here even if they happened to offer free or reduced fees for the third child of a family, a family would still be out of pocket tens of thousands a year unless the children has scholarships.

Systemic catholic schools are different, of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I know of three christian in Brisbane/gold coast and all of the christian one in our major regional town do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL we got our lounge from the side of the road - it was council pick up. Not trying to compete - you just brought back a funny memory!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Moat Peoplewould lookat my income and not know how I pay my rent and food, let alone anything else, but...
    I took my son overseas for two months and have bought a new car in the last year. That was also from whole working part time and receiving benefits.

I guess that makes me a chat and not worthy of benefits. But someone else can spend more than me on the same income, have no savings and do nothing to improve their lives. .. But because they struggle, they're worthy and I'm not. This is why workers perform badly when they start a new job, so that expectations are lower.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (01-09-2013)