+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    I don't really think that people solely on benefits should be using taxpayer dollars to go on overseas holidays. No. I would consider a camping trip a little luxury, not trips to foreign countries. That's a big luxury that you should earn through working.
    That's just ridiculous.

People living solely on benefits receive the same amount of money regardless of where they holiday.

So if person A puts away $10 a week for 5 years and takes an overseas holiday you'd get all "tax payers dollars!" on them, but if person b spends that $10 on something else week by week that's totally fine?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-09-2013),baikirashero  (02-09-2013),beebs  (01-09-2013),delirium  (01-09-2013),HarvestMoon  (01-09-2013),Jennaisme  (01-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Since I'm at work I'm naturally bored. So I've been putting thought into the idea of people spending tax dollars how I say because I pay taxes.

If I had a choice, the housing comission scheme of house buying would be available on a rent-to-own basis to everyone already in a DOH house. The money made from that would then go to building more houses/flats, etc, to ensure affordable housing and the possibility of more people owning their own homes.

Fast food would be taxed a bit more but then rather than also taxing fresh fruit and veg and healthy food at an even higher tax rate, it would be reduced drastically to make it a more viable and affordable option for everyone.

When people turn 18, they would have forced "volunteer" work for a year, building refuges or volunteering with refugees/homeless people, etc. They would be paid centerlink, higher than what it is now as a way to offset the fact that they can't work for that year.

The big gas and power companies I would smack with a ban hammer for putting their prices up so high that its almost impossible for some people to have low power bill.

Theres more, but on my phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think people are entitled to spend their income in any way they please. I am a taxpayer but what someone spends their centrelink income on is none of my business.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (01-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    I didn't say people who work shouldn't be going on holidays. On a six figure salary you've worked for your overseas trip. On just saying that I don't think people solely on benefits should be using it to go on fancy holidays. People on maternity leave are workers.
    I never said I went into the work place on the six figure income.
    I was a lucky recipient.

But really what you are saying is those that stay at home with children are OK and can go on holidays, unless they are currently on benefits.

I stayed at home with my son and daughter when they were little, with my daughter I was a sole parent and received a lot of harsh criticism. With my son I was married to a very high income earner, and received no real criticism. It's funny how luck can ensure entitlements.

There are so many diverse groups of people on benefits, the majority of those either have no choice (disabilities or caring for those with disabilities etc) or are trying to get off benefits.

most sole parents statistically speaking stay on benefits for a very short time before either working or studying etc.

I consider those that stay at home with children as workers. I see it as an important job, and valuing women or men that do stay at home is important. Saying they are not deserving because they don't fit the narrow of view of what a hard working person looks like to society is unfair.

Moreover there are plenty of people on benefits that volunteer and help keep Australia running, through their volunteer work. I know several people on benefits that do this. They volunteer their time at places like meals on wheels or charity organisations that help the underprivileged.

I am baffled that these people don't deserve a holiday because they don't get a big fat pay check. Yet are some of the hardest working people I know. In paid employment or not, I work hard as a single mum, and undervaluing traditional women's roles (and any man who also undertakes them) is just plain wrong.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (01-09-2013),beebs  (01-09-2013),BornToBe  (01-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-09-2013),MilkingMaid  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are all taxpayers, whether in paid employment or in sole receipt of centrelink payments. Almost everything we buy has a taxed element, GST. Just a little tired of the "MY tax dollars" bullsh1t.

9. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (01-09-2013),Anjalee  (01-09-2013),beebs  (01-09-2013),Boobycino  (01-09-2013),btmacxxx  (01-09-2013),bunkx  (01-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (01-09-2013),HarvestMoon  (01-09-2013),Jennaisme  (01-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (01-09-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-09-2013),MilkingMaid  (01-09-2013),Mokeybear  (01-09-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (01-09-2013),PinkPopsicle  (01-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my DH & I are in paid employment, we earn too much to qualify for benefits apart from cctr (& paid parental leave which has just ended).
    I really couldn't care less what others do with their money or where they get it from. I have friends who dont receive benefits who go on overseas holidays twice a year; I could do that too if I saved hard enough!
    I just wish the cost of living wasnt so bloody high to give us all a break!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    If those working people made the same sacrifices as those on welfare do to achieve the holidays, they could also afford the holiday. You can't argue that just because a family on 70k choose to manage their funds a certain way and as such can't afford to travel overseas, it should also mean that a family on 16-30k(aka welfare) should not be permitted to make travel a priority.

Why are the choices and budget of working class their own choice, but in welfare you're not allowed to make informed budget decisions?

Because I sacrifice to create myself a margin of savings, I don't qualify for benefits and assistance that some people do. It doesn't mean that they shouldn't get help. I'm lucky to be empowered with my understanding of (and ability to practically Apply) budgets.

As with Jennaisme, sometimes you can live many years (sometimes your whole life) without understanding that there are other ways to live and things you can achieve. She should be proud to have broken the cycle (I felt like giving you a round of applause!)

People on welfare need hope. Need inspiration. Cause it's to easy to get trapped in the cycle of thinking you're worth nothing and your choices are of no consequence. Especially when society keeps telling you that you are good for nothing and that you're not using their money right. That's not to say Let's give them all holidays, but if they manage to do these things why pull the rug out from under them?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I don't think anyone is saying people on welfare shouldn't have a little win here and there: especially if they are good with their money.

It's the big wins that get people's backs up: private school, new car, overseas holiday. Big wins make people think there's more to the story than a person being a great budgeter: such as the person getting too much welfare, welfare they are not (or should not) be entitled to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    We are all taxpayers, whether in paid employment or in sole receipt of centrelink payments. Almost everything we buy has a taxed element, GST. Just a little tired of the "MY tax dollars" bullsh1t.
    Paying a few dollars in GST when you claim more in benefits and services doesnt count. I will probably get flamed for this but you can't (or shouldn't) count yourself as a taxpayer if your net welfare received is greater than the tax you pay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    If those working people made the same sacrifices as those on welfare do to achieve the holidays, they could also afford the holiday. You can't argue that just because a family on 70k choose to manage their funds a certain way and as such can't afford to travel overseas, it should also mean that a family on 16-30k(aka welfare) should not be permitted to make travel a priority.

Why are the choices and budget of working class their own choice, but in welfare you're not allowed to make informed budget decisions?

Because I sacrifice to create myself a margin of savings, I don't qualify for benefits and assistance that some people do. It doesn't mean that they shouldn't get help. I'm lucky to be empowered with my understanding of (and ability to practically Apply) budgets.

As with Jennaisme, sometimes you can live many years (sometimes your whole life) without understanding that there are other ways to live and things you can achieve. She should be proud to have broken the cycle (I felt like giving you a round of applause!)

People on welfare need hope. Need inspiration. Cause it's to easy to get trapped in the cycle of thinking you're worth nothing and your choices are of no consequence. Especially when society keeps telling you that you are good for nothing and that you're not using their money right. That's not to say Let's give them all holidays, but if they manage to do these things why pull the rug out from under them?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    You are awesome, my thoughts exactly!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to V8 For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

It's the big wins that get people's backs up: private school, new car, overseas holiday. Big wins make people think there's more to the story than a person being a great budgeter: such as the person getting too much welfare, welfare they are not (or should not) be entitled to.
    Seriously? How many people on centrelink benefits have kids in private school, new cars and overseas holidays?? I would think there main concern would be trying to manage a roof over their heads and food.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (01-09-2013)