+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Who would I go to see re child's behaviour?

My almost 6yr old daughter has always shown slight signs of something not quite 'right'. I don't know how to put it, she is fine socially, is in the top of her class at school (eg. is in reception this year but is reading/spelling at yr 1 level) just allot of little things make me wonder. It's kind of something perhaps only I would notice/have a gut feeling about. I have been making notes when I think of examples or experience something with her. I just don't know who to see or if there is any reason to see anyone....
    Here are the (rough!) notes, they may not all make sense as I've noted them to discuss more with a professional. I wonder if I go to CYH in general or go straight to someone who may be able to pick up on little things better. Is it even worth it? I just have this feeling and if there is something then I know she isn't just being 'rebellious' (I already cut her a bit if slack with some of these things assuming she is extra sensitive to things) and perhaps we can find some ways in helping her deal with some anxiety etc.

*No jumpers/jackets on in car seats
    *No sleeves rolled up
    *Dislike for hair tied back or hair clips
    *Hair to be brushed the same always. Hates getting it cut, only has once in her life at 5yrs old, it grows slow anyway.
    *Can't seem to lay still while reading books (her or us reading) - see more below
    *dislike for odd clothing sensations, tags, sleeves etc
    *cuddling/kissing just doesn't come naturally to her. Slight dislike for being touched (with emotion) such as on the shoulder. It's almost like she's had to 'learn' how to pucker up and kiss even though we have always been kissy and cuddly. If she seeks a random hug (I.e not a 'routine' one like at bedtime) its more for attention rather than embracing a snugly loving hug and normally is just her wiggling around.
    *bites nails, chews hair and sometimes gets into a habit of nose picking even though there doesn't seem to be anything 'there'.
    *needs to be fiddling, like when we are brushing her teeth, will seem to 'have' to fiddle with buttons/zips/hoodie ties on our tops. When reading can't seem to sit/lay (particularly lay) still. Noticed much better when she happened to be reading sitting up while fiddling with a mini slinky.
    *can 'blow up' with frustration/anger all of a sudden.
    *very anxious at the thought of watching a kids movie. Slight suspense or slight 'scary' scenes (rated G) upset her to tears to watch - if she even will try.
    *can be anxious to try new things, perhaps where she might not be good at it or unsure of what it's about - such as a new dance class. Yet fine with taking on other new things like learning.
    *does not like talking about 'serious' events like stranger danger or emergency situations. Including sharing a book about the topic - with me anyway (read book from home at school with teacher fine but won't read it to me).
    *found her 'hiding' in her room not wanting others to come in and she was trying on all her jewellery and when I came in she doubled over so I couldn't see and was desperately taking them off. Also done this with playing with toys in her room like playing vets/Drs. Will play with friends. Have of course supported her always, offered to play to and have explained lots of girls like to wear jewels and to never be shy or embarrassed.
    *lamp in room fixation often wants it on all night, hates a dark room even though she already has 3 other night lights in her room making it quite bright anyway. Will happily walk around the very dark house in the middle of the night to come to our room (to go to the bathroom) though.
    *as I was doing her hair I was talking happily/humorously about her friend who when she was at kindy cut her hair short to look like her fave teacher. As I gestured against her head where she cut it she flinched away and as I touched her back to how long her friends hair was she flinched away to. She asked me to stop talking about it. I asked her why and she didnt know just kept saying stop taking about it. I asked her again and said I want to understand, did it make her uncomfortable, was she scared imagining her hair cut?? She just kept replying to stop talking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Start with a child psychologist maybe. Our local hospital has one that is bulk billed, so maybe start there and see if you have the same thing.

Only you will know if it is worth it - although I will say, that when I started the process with DS2 - I thought the same thing. Now he is just turned 4 and will not be able to start main****** school with his brother - what may not seem like "big" things to us, may be big - but we just don't notice them because we live with it every day - you know?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

patsmum  (10-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You could also try an occupational therapist, as many of your observations seem to be related to your DD's sensory experiences. It might be a sensory integration issue. This sort of thing can be related to other sorts of disorders/difficulties too, so it may take a while or a few different types of assessments to figure it all out.

(FYI I am a school psychologist)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    We went to a behavioural psychologist and only had a 2 week wait to get in.
    She and a speech pathologist did the assessment and referred us to an OT as well once funding had come in.
    They are all located in the same office which made it easier.

A friend of my took her DS to see an OT through the local uni. They are students who are under supervision but it worked out to be quite cheap.

I guess it just depends what's available in your area?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Child psychologist. If she is at a public school the school one should be able to assess her and go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.. I've been referred to a psychologist by my gp after contacting a local (and brilliant) OT place with that same list (plus a few more points such as her advanced reading ability) who suggested to go down that path. They thought from my notes that she may have a "high IQ and associated hypersensitivity, anxiety and some controlling behaviours" but obviously it needed further investigation.

Our appointment is in 2.5 weeks so hopefully some light can be shed on it all.

What I don't get is that this appointment is going to cost me $200 and I can't claim through Medicare as I don't have a 'mental health plan' YET I can't get one as she hasn't been diagnosed with anything..... I mean that's what I've got the appointment for!!!! Just doesn't make sense! Luckily I do have private cover but if this goes beyond 1 session which it obviously will if they think something is 'different' the private cover won't last long.....

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoleE View Post
    Thanks everyone.. I've been referred to a psychologist by my gp after contacting a local (and brilliant) OT place with that same list (plus a few more points such as her advanced reading ability) who suggested to go down that path. They thought from my notes that she may have a "high IQ and associated hypersensitivity, anxiety and some controlling behaviours" but obviously it needed further investigation.

Our appointment is in 2.5 weeks so hopefully some light can be shed on it all.

What I don't get is that this appointment is going to cost me $200 and I can't claim through Medicare as I don't have a 'mental health plan' YET I can't get one as she hasn't been diagnosed with anything..... I mean that's what I've got the appointment for!!!! Just doesn't make sense! Luckily I do have private cover but if this goes beyond 1 session which it obviously will if they think something is 'different' the private cover won't last long.....

Thanks again.
    Doesn't make sense... Along with so many aspects of our public health system! It's like the mental health plan has been designed around depression and adult anxiety whereby the gp diagnoses and then refers to a psych. So much for letting the professionals do their job...!

Glad to hear your on track to see someone. Hopefully they can help your dd. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    You should be able to get a mental health plan. The GP put my DS on one before we saw the psych.
    It makes no sense to have to be diagnosed with something first.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your GP should give u a mental health plan without a diagnosis. My 5yo ds got one at the start of the yr by a mental health nurse within our drs surgery before his psych apt, he then got a diagnosis in mid July.