+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dropping a night feed

I wasn't sure if this should go in Feeding or Sleeping, so went for neutral!

DS2 (6mths) is in bed by 7pm, with feeds around 11pm & 4am. Up for the day at 6.30-7am. I'm wondering usually which feed is dropped first (with help), the late night or early morning?

I know he can go without one now, as he won't even have his morning feed until at least 8am as he isn't yet hungry. so I want to try and help him drop one and see how he goes.

Should I try & resettle at 11pm, with him probably waking 1-2am instead? Or resettle the 4am so he can then feed/start the day from 6am onwards?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing. My 8 month old is the same. Was hoping he would just drop one by himself but not happening!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is 10 months and has been feeding around 10-11 then around 3-4 and up about 7 the last week (before that we were having sleep issues so it was alot more).

In the last week there have been two nights he has only woken once amd it has been around 2am. So I will be trying to encourage him to skip the first feed of the night in a week or so if he doesn't do it himself.

Hope that heelps.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I personally would be worried that if I dropped the early morning feed that it would then encourage him to wake earlier, say 5am. So I would try to resettle at 11.

However, I have early wakers so that influences my decision- I hate it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD dropped the 2am feed as I resettled. Then when you are ready you can move the 11pm feed to 10.45 for a few
    Nights, then 10.30 etc. until you are back to 8.30pm. If they start waking go back to the feed time the previous night
    Until they sleep through then start
    Moving the feed earlier again. Also reduce the size of the feed. After some patience all the night feeds will be gone. In theory of course!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleo77 For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I personally would be worried that if I dropped the early morning feed that it would then encourage him to wake earlier, say 5am. So I would try to resettle at 11.

However, I have early wakers so that influences my decision- I hate it!
    This is my fear too! I really don't want my day starting at 5-6am, so perhaps the 11pm is a better option? My problem though is that he always has a really big feed for that one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always tried to drop the early morning one first since I usually stayed up and went to bed myself after the late night one.
    Mine still woke at the usual time in the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys have always dropped the evening one first.

I find if I can delay the feed til after 3 I get more of a sleep in, plus i have more milk then so they get a better feed (may not be relevant if you are FF )