+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Who am I voting for when I cast a vote for a non-major party?

I don't understand politics. I wish I did but I don't. So please, if you understand how the election works, can you answer this question:
    I understand preferences. A minor party gives its preferences to (shows allegiance to) a major party, right? Katter's party and Palmer's party have pledged to give each other their preferences. But does this then extend onto a major party?
    If I voted for Palmer, would I be voting for Abbott by extension? I'm sure he doesn't back Rudd in the slightest lol. Any hell would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There was a previous thread explaining this and what it said was, for the House of Reps it simply means how the party will set up their How To Vote card they hand out to people at the polling booth. The individual voter still has to specify their preferences, so can choose to follow the How To Vote card or ignore it.

For the Senate, if you just put a 1 above the line, then the party directs your preferences, but that is not the case for the House of Reps. If you just put a 1 in one box and nothing else, then your vote is invalid and doesn't count at all.

Note: The above is merely paraphrasing info posted by another member or another thread. I believe it to be true but have no verifiable sources to offer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks sweetseven, I know how the voting ballot works, I'm asking more along the lines of 'which minor political parties support Abbott cos I would like to not vote for them' I don't want my vote to end up going towards someone i don't respect to be PM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The other difference of course is any deals to how they'll vote on the issues once they get in.

So lets assume you voted 1 for a minor party then 2 for Labour, and so on, and the minor party gets in. Now when certain issues come up your candidate may have made a deal with the Liberal party to vote they way they direct, and in return they'll direct their members to vote the way the minor candidate wants on another issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I see what you are asking. However it might not be determined at this stage.

I remember last election where neither Liberal nor Labour had a clear majority, so then the negotiations were underways with the minor candidates that had won their seats to choose who to support.

It really did seem to be an after-the-election decision, not one announced beforehand. There was a lot of discussion on here about how bad this was for the country because it was putting so much power into the hands of very few ... and of course those few could negotiate massive concessions for their electorates to reward their supporters and cement their positions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Have a look here. go to your state and than look up the parties to find out how they preference
    http://senate.io/senate/2013/qld#preferences=

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

sweetseven  (30-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, it's a bit clearer now

Thanks
    Reviews
    No matter what party a minor candidate has done a deal with they CANNOT determine where YOU put the particular party on your ballot paper.

If you want to ensure the Liberal Party is last on your ballot paper then that is exactly where you put them.

Just because a minor party or candidate may have done a deal with a major party about where they will put them on the HTVs they give to voters doesn't mean the votes automatically transfer.

You don't have to follow the HTV. You can do what you like.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

wrena  (30-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't stress enough that it doesn't matter who they might want you to preference. Only YOU can decide the order you put candidates in.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (30-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Th link above you can use to make your own how to vote card and print it out to take with you on the day.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (30-08-2013)