Closed Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jagamoe View Post
    Guess I took it in the offence as I was in a crappy mood.
    Yer I try budget and try make sure the never ending bills are paid & great flu that I receive FTB. N just feels like we are going nowhere fast it's extremely frustrating.
    It's crap that the cost of living keeps going up n wages don't. DP is working over time tomorrow so we can have more $ to put towards rego next week but its the yay payday n then broke the next living week to week sucks so much.
    I totally get how frustrating it is. I am self employed and currently doing only a small amount of work as I'm unwell and DH earns a modest income. We claim our tax benefit at the end of the financial year because my income varies, so we're actually earning about what you're getting right now, and we still can save money. We've sliced back on almost everything as we now need to cover my medical expenses.

This is our current fn breakdown:

Rent: $620
    Food: $240
    Trans: $40
    Bills: $200
    School: $20 (tuckshop/rest in acc future events/books/uniforms)
    Entertainment: $100 (DH & I take $20 each for coffee, remainder is for whatever).
    Christmas: $40
    Medication: $80

Everything else is divided into savings, and things like clothes, shoes and other as needed items we buy from savings. I hate how restricted we are at the moment as we used to spend triple that on entertainment and could have more fun, but without having some money to save I would freak out. I can't wait to be able to throw myself back into work...the only way to ever get ahead is reduce your living costs to be less than your income.

Instead of paying your bills as they come, can you break them down to a weekly or fortnightly amount? Even the annual ones?

Is there anywhere else you can cut back? It's a bit crazy that you spend $72 on cigarettes and only $120 each fortnight on food.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with most PPs - reassess your budget and see where you can tighten or be creative with ways to earn extra money. We pay our cleaner $80 for 2-3hrs of work each fortnight, if you could get even 1 or 2 cleaning jobs like that you could easily work around your DPs shifts. Also look into work from home option like data entry or even home-based call centre work. It might take time to find something that works around your DPs changing shifts but it's worth keeping an eye out.

I'd also seriously consider DPs work options. It sounds like he's not earning much and might be paid the same amount doing a basic 9-5 job or retail work. That would then give you a lot more work options.

And I really encourage you to give up smoking. If you're struggling that badly I just can't understand spending money on cigarettes. At least cut right back. Think about how much quicker the debt would go down if your cigarette money went on that instead.

I get nothing from the government except CCR so I can't comment on CL benefits, I have no idea how they work and doubt we'd be entitled to anything.

Good luck, I hope you find another source of income so you can feel like you're getting somewhere.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Moneys a *****. Im sure we have all wanted to have a vent about it at some point in our lives, whether it was about centrelink, our pay, or just lack of. There hhave been some great suggestions on how to cut back, and I guess while you aren't working and paying back debt you just need to accept the fact that you wont get ahead. Just think it will be only for a few years and then you can get back on track. Don't beat yourself up about lack of funds. I guess the one thing I would say if you are trying to have another baby, stop smoking. Not only for your health but for your future childs, plus it will save money and perhaps put that money aside to save for the baby.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience Belmont For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What you are getting is right. When receiving PP you need to budget fortnightly to include your ftb which is much higher so that you aren't left too short on PP week. We have similar income as you and pay the same rent and are able to live comfortably, but we also choose to live within our means and foxtel isn't that.

Sorry OP, but centrelink isn't there to have you live how you choose and if you can't make do with the money you're receiving you need to look at other sources for income.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (31-08-2013),Meld85  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are some really good suggestions on here, lots of mums on this forum seem to be excellent budgeter's who make small incomes go a long way.

Rather than blaming the government for your financial situation maybe you could use some of the suggestions to cut back on things like smoking and foxtel and be proactive and try and find some work like a cleaning job you could do. What about looking into doing family day care?

Doesn't sound like the best time to be trying for another baby if you can't make ends meet at the moment.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Autumncurl  (31-08-2013),bitterpure  (31-08-2013),cassieh  (31-08-2013),Patience Belmont  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 02boys View Post
    This really annoys me,if you dont want peoples opinions or for people not to judge you then dont write on a public forum.
    Give up smoking,internet & foxtel & stop whinging that its hard.
    You do what you need to do to get ahead.
    Im a single parent of 2,i dont smoke or have foxtel,have internet on my ph only,my rent is $300 pw & my sons in a private school.
    Stop with excuses
    I dont care if people get the sh$$s with me this is MY OPINION.
    The op didn't ask your opinion, it's clearly titled as a vent thread.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (31-08-2013),Mokeybear  (31-08-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the general consensus of this topic is to get your priorities right. Budgeting is key.. $18 an hour doesn't seem right to me at all, my father does shift work and he is on over double that an hour. A lot of what you have spoken about you have the ability to change.

No license? Start trying to get one.

Partner has mixed hours? Start up a Facebook business for cleaning or something & share it with all your local swap & sell pages.. Let them know each week what your available hours are..

Get rid of foxtel, not a necessity. You might be more inclined to work during the day if you have nothing to sit down and watch.

Stop smoking - which you should have already done if you are ttc.

Just out of curiosity (not trying to be rude)... But if you can't make ends meet now, why are you trying for another baby?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cassieh For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    The op didn't ask your opinion, it's clearly titled as a vent thread.
    Exactly this!

Astounded by the nastiness that has been in this thread, for crying out loud she was just having a vent, everybody is entitled to that.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (31-08-2013),Atropos  (31-08-2013),BornToBe  (31-08-2013),dancingchipmunk  (31-08-2013),FrothyFrog  (31-08-2013),jagamoe  (31-08-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (31-08-2013),MrsHoward  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    I understand the frustration with $$, I think alot of people are up in arms because of the 'financially better off as a single parent' comment,
    Realistically if the op kept all current bills no way would she be better off single.

the comment riled me a bit too as I am a single mum BUT sometimes people need to vent, sometimes a **** this **** post is the difference between going insane and feeling better.

for those who are saying give up the smokes it's not that easy,

I'm a single parent, I am lucky that rent is cheap (although after Christmas will be paying more as my house is rotting out around me, mould in the bathroom etc and ll wont fix it) and that I don't smoke because 40$ a fortnight is the difference between sinking or swimming sometimes for me
    Oh for sure, I get how that line could frustrate!
    I just feel that everyone is allowed a vent, like you say, it can make all the difference. Constructive advice is great too but judgement and negativity helps no one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just from quitting smoking and getting rid of foxtel that's an extra $184 a month ( or there abouts). You could save some and utilise the rest to put on bills/groceries.

Honestly we would get the same amount of money as you a fortnight and do okay. Prioritising is key.

Baby girl due in January 2014