+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think if you specify no presents then it is fine.

My friend is having a baby shower for her second because they are having a girl this time and they had a boy the first time so they want girly things. I'm a bit uncomfortable with that to be honest. I want to celebrate her impending baby, but I don't think it should be a present grab.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think baby showers are fantastic. I enjoying being the "mum" and a guest.

Its also mainly on BH land that baby showers are frowned upon. IRL people are much more excited.

I'm looking forward to a friends baby shower in a couple of weeks. Its her second bub but you know what? Im going to love every second of it.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (30-08-2013),smallpotatoes  (30-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Miss EM! I just had my baby shower for my 2nd bub last weekend!

I, like you wasn't sure if I should or shouldn't.. umm-d & ahh-d for weeks and then decided on having a 'Baby Sprinkle' as in a light shower.

We had a lovely and decadent afternoon tea with lots of yummy deserts and coffee at a very nice café in town. Everyone paid $20/head and I requested no gifts. It was just a nice chance to catch up with friends and family I hadn't seen for a while. We only had a small group, I invited close friends and family so there was 12 of us. A few ppl ignored the no gifts thing but only got small things like one outfit or a rattle etc... but most were fine with it and relieved cause they knew we had everything and wouldn't know what to get.

We didn't play any games or do anything like that. I had some small vases of flowers on the tables and a small 'thankyou' gift for each of my guests. It was lovely and im glad I did it.

Unless they all said otherwise behind my back.. all my guests thought it was great and a really nice idea. I guess the no gifts thing takes the stress away from them and im sure they were all relieved not to have to play silly games that have been done a million times before and make a lot of ppl uncomfortable.
    Last edited by MadeWithLove; 30-08-2013 at 13:02.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

House Mummaxxxx  (30-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had one for my 2nd...but not my first...and my 2nd was nearly 7 years after my first...totally different life!

I said no gifts...but got given gifts anyway lol

Do what feels right for you...if you doing it as a catch up and celebration then go for it, if in the back of your head you adding up what you "need people to give you"...then don't do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think having a second one is fine i didnt expect gifts for the first one so now I am having one for our second as I have met new friends in mothers group etc.

I will just host a catch up at home with platters etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a baby shower for my first but not for my second. I don't think it's a rude to have a shower for your second as long as you don't expect gifts but then I'd think it was rude if you *expected* gifts at your first. We're having our third/last baby soon and we'll be having a BBQ celebration about a week after she's born to celebrate our family being complete and people will be told no gifts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. I didn't have one.
    Personally for me I didnt want to ask for presents 2nd time round.

And for us we have visitors in hospital so to get them to spend twice would seem rude.

Each to their own though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a small get together for my 2nd, I think every bub should be celebrated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by House Mumma View Post
    I don't plan to have one for my second regardless of gender. I would love to get my mummy friends together for a high tea though. A kid-free, lovely, elegant afternoon would be nice. I'd specify no gifts though.
    This exactly what I would do. High tea somewhere nice but stipulate absolutely no gifts, just a chance for a girly afternoon before the start of round 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    high tea or bbq sounds like the best way to go!

Presents aren't asked for more just to catch up before I go under with another littlie!

Thanks ladies