+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I rarely used the change table with either of my kids. With DS2 I had one on a stand with the bath underneath it. Would one like that be suitable for you?
    I never had a rocking chair. I found the most comfortable position to feed was to lie down and opted to do that when I could.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also would say get a chest of draws and put a change mat on top, that's what I do for both my boys. I'm my opinion a chair of some sort in the nursery is a must. My boys were in a bassinet next to my bed from birth so I would feed in bed during the night or on the lounge during the day but once they went in to their own rooms at about 4-5 months they were still feeding once or twice during the night or would have unsettled nights if sick or teething so a chair was a lifesaver

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could not live without a change table. DS is almost 16 months and I use it for every single nappy change when we are at home. My back thanks me for it

I had a glider chair but never used it, hated being tucked away in a room feeding for hours on end, and I found the background noise in the lounge etc was actually helpful for getting DS off to sleep.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I don't think you specifically need a change 'table' per se, but definitely a space with a change mat of a suitable height is important. It hurts your back to change low, as PPs have said. Also, with a designated mat area, the damage from poonamis can be better contained rather than on a bed or the floor. The one time, ever, I changed my son on my bed is the one time, ever, he peed without a nappy on. Lesson learnt 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done what a few others did. I have 4 children and have never owned a change table.

I bought one of those $10-$20 dollar padded change mats from Big W, and it either sat on the chest of drawers in the spare room with all the nappies, clothes etc and used that, or in this house, we have a lot of cupboards/benches in the bathroom, so I put it there. I've never needed to own a change table, I've just improvised. But I did find that the older the baby got, the easier it became to change them on the floor (once they got mobile) to reduce the risk of them falling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a change table is necessary. I'm still using mine and DS is almost 2. I also have a rocking chair in his room. It was good for night feeds and a bit of privacy in the early days of learning to BF with visitors around but it only really got used until he was 8ish months old and no longer needing to be fed over night. it cost a lot of money and is taking up a lot of space in his room. if Dh didn't buy it as a gift for my birthday I would have gotten rid of it by now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love my change table. We had people tell us that a change table was a waste of money, but I wanted one. It makes changing easy cos she's at a great height so no bending.

I decided I didn't need a glider chair. My dad bought me one and I set it up next to the lounge. All night feeds are done in bed and the day ones on the chair. I'd say definitely not essential.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm really surprised everyone has said a change table is a must. I've never used one and have never had any problems changing nappies on a change mat on the floor. Saves space and money, one less potential dangerous place for baby to fall from (or toddler to climb on!) and i find it easier to change my kids where they are, rather than having to drag them kicking and screaming to the change table. Also when they are tiny and immobile you can just leave them there if you need to run to grab an emergency change of clothes, or just for some nappy free time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't plan on getting a change table, I'm thinking of just getting a chest of drawers of some description that could be utilized as a change table with a mat on top of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi OP, we have a VERY small nursery so I had to be really sensible with my purchases. We have a compact cot (Leander), a big chest of drawers (Troll) and a book case (Ikea, fits boxes in it which you can also store stuff in). That is basically all we can fit in our nursery! Will put some shelves on the wall for decorative stuff.

But, I bought a specific chest of drawers that was a good height that has a matching change tray & mat option. I have also seen change trays that can be attached to your cot. That might be good if you really are short on space? Would just depend on how high your cot is & whether it is practical.

If you decide to get a chest of drawers, tray & mat, just check the configuration as some chest of drawers require you to stand at the end of them to change baby & we don't have the space for that. We chose one where the tray comes out from the front.

We are buying a glider (2nd hand, from a friend) but will have to put it in our living area.

Good luck!