+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do I need a change table?

Hi, We are expecting our baby girl in November! 12 weeks to get our house in a liveable condition for the baby - eek and eep! Our nursery room is only quite small. We have bought a cot and My Dad is doing up an old children's wardrobe with both hanging and draw space. I'm concerned we wont fit another chest of draws, change table and rocking chair/glider in, and wondering what is most important? Hubby seems to think the chair is just a luxury item, but I imagine it will come in handy when bub needs feeding and cuddles through the night. What are your thoughts? If we had to drop the draws, change table or chair what should it be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love my rocking chair but used it more for putting baby to sleep rather than feeding. I preferred to feed on the lounge where there was more room and I could watch tv. As for the change table I've heard people say you don't need them and I 100% disagree. They're great. We sometimes changed the baby on our bed but the change table is so much better. You can get chests of drawers that are also a change table on top. Would that help with space?
    Last edited by KellyMac; 04-09-2013 at 14:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Change table was essential for me both times. I didn't have a glider with DD1, but did with DD2, and while your hubby may feel its a luxury item that is because he probably won't be spending the endless hours sitting with bub like you will - comfort is essential. The lounge was good enough for me with DD1, but loved the rocker with DD2 as she was a very unsettled baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it were me, I would buy a chest of drawers of a suitable height and put the change mat on top. A change table, of some description is an absolute must for me. Ours has been used constantly since dd1 was born.

When we go away and there's no change table, it's such a nightmare. It kills my back changing nappies on bed or floor too. As well as wriggling, squirming babies and toddlers, smearing poo everywhere, just because they figure out they can get away!

A glider chair would not be a priority for me. How high is the small wardrobe you have organized already? Can you put the change mat on that? Also, baby clothes are tiny! You may not need much storage to start with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have a look at how many Gliders appear in eBay and Gumtree, and that to me tells me they aren't as necessary as people think they will be. I breastfed/feed all my babies in my bed (throughout the night) and the lounge room on the couch during the day and never in a specific chair. That said, my babies are in a Bassinette and then Cot in my room from birth.

It's definitely handy to have somewhere to change bub's nappies and dress them and given that you're pressed for space, I would have a chest of drawers and put a change mat on the top of that. A specific change table is unnecessary in my opinion, especially when you're pressed for space etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think a separate change table is necessary, we have a chest of drawers with a slight lip around the edge ( about 1cm) and the change mat sits on top of it. Then when we're not using it as a change table anymore, it will just look like a regular chest of drawers :-)

ETA - we don't have space for a glider so didn't get one and I'm glad, I used to just bring baby into our bed to feed her, then take her back to her cot. I do have an exercise ball in her room though that I bounce on with her when she's unsettled - takes up a lot less space than a chair and can be deflated when its no longer needed. $15 from Kmart :-)
    Last edited by JR03; 30-08-2013 at 09:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think everyone will tell you different but I couldn't live without my change table. Dd is nearly 1 and I could probably count the number of times I haven't changed her on there on one hand.
    I think especially if you are tallish changing her on a bed/floor kills my back. And I'm not really tall prob only medium to tall

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have a chest of drawers that we bought from ikea with a change mat on top. Our nursery is also small.

I also have a rocking chair but its more for aesthetics than practicality - I will more than likely be feeding in my bed because bub won't actually be in the nursery until he's older.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1377818209.228233.jpg

Here's the drawers. We got the change mat from baby bunting

ETA I will probably not use the change table much, but dp is very tall and other people who will be changing bub will probably appreciate not having to get on the ground to do it.
    Last edited by rainbow road; 30-08-2013 at 11:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its edd for me today, so am yet to use my change table. The only reason I got it was that it came with the cot I got.

So as for it's usefulness as a changing station I am yet to be able to give an answer but for the simple fact that I don't know where I would have stored creams, nappies etc it has come in very handy already. So I guess if you have lots of storage in other places that part doesn't matter.

My friends that have had change tables love them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We rarely use the change table but we are rarely in bubs nursery and nor is he! He sleeps with us at night and near us in the living room during the day so we have a mat in both rooms + a little stash of supplies. However because his room has no built ins it does act as good storage for his nappies, towels etc. like PP I feed in bed or on the couch but we did purchase new of both when bubs arrived. We do have a day bed in his nursery ready for when he is ready to sleep in his room, I plan to read stories and feed him there before bed but that's a long way off for us.